Is Clarkson the new Cpt. Slow ?

Brother Michael

Car(s)
-02 BMW 530d Touring M-Sport
This is something I thought of at work the other day:

Now that Hammond has done speeds up to and over 300mph and James floored the Bugatti at 253mph, is Jezza actually the slowest from the three, when it comes to top speeds of cars ? I don't recall Jeremy going faster than 200mph, at least not on Top Gear.

I think this would be hilarious to point out in the show, although that would also mean pointing back to the crash, which wasn't supposed to happen anymore.

Anyway, what do you think ? Should the ranks be reorganised from now on ? Jeremy "Slow" Clarkson :mrgreen:

Last edited:
He hit 240 with the Veyron from what i've heard, and thats without a huge test facility. He's also driven faster non-road/non-production cars.

I wouldn't bet on him not having went over 253 in a wheeled vehicle.

He hit 240 with the Veyron from what i've heard, and thats without a huge test facility. He's also driven faster non-road/non-production cars.

I wouldn't bet on him not having went over 253 in a wheeled vehicle.

but are there sports cars that outrun an F1 that easy? and that he drove that one?

i'd put my money on him not driving over 253

It was a very long time ago, but was it clarkson that drove a topfuel dragster, only had one go but his foot slipped as it launched and he didn't get a proper run...

It could have been another motoring presenter, i would have been 8 or something at the time...

But if it was Jeremy, he'd have topped 250 in that i'm sure. Someone can correct me if it was actually Tiff or someone else that i'm mistaking for him though.

I believe he only broke 200 MPH or so on the salt flats. He was driving some old crappy speedster.

He's been in fighter jets...

I thought he had! It was in one of his series he did...can't remember whether it was Motorworld or which one it was, but I do remember him throwing up spectacularly.:lol:

Last edited:
He did 215 in BBC Speed.

I was thinking about this as well. If you restrict it to "speed on wheels", then Clarkson may very well be the slowest now. But all time, well, he's been on Concorde, so he's supersonic!

Fast is beyond straight-line-speed!
Agreed. You'll never see James in the driver's seat of car that's billowing chemically-converted rubber out the back through a corner. Richard, yes, but his powerslides are not as good as Clarkson's ;)

Interesting point but the names/ranks don't come from the fastest someone has ever been but the speed/way they drive normally and the cars they tend to prefer.

I agree. I am pretty sure that it wasn't May's first choice to get into the Bugatti. May seems to drive like my mother, and he seems more interested in luxury than in speed. I am surprised that he didn't do the bit on the Rolls Royce Phantom.

But, they needed someone on Top Gear that would prefer a car made out of wood so the three hosts would have different opinions.

Nah may is still the slowest, It is clear when they are driving toghther than may goes slower than richard and jeremy.
Particularly when they were testing all the supercars in france you could see that may was holding the other 2 up in his ferrari!!!

Nah may is still the slowest, It is clear when they are driving toghther than may goes slower than richard and jeremy.
Particularly when they were testing all the supercars in france you could see that may was holding the other 2 up in his ferrari!!!

I don't know about that...You can see him returning and meeting up with Hamster again in that movie, and then Hamster and Jezza both acknowledged he was driving very fast indeed, he probably left em behind with his F430 on those twisty roads in southern France.

In the rest of the film when he was just driving like him self they had to pull over and wait for him though so I guess he's a kind of a grandmother on the road...Cause if you go slow in a super car you're probably a turtle in normal cars (and he owns a Panda!).

So to conclude my schizophrenia, he's a slowass driver every day, but on the right road in the right time and in the right car, he can be quite quick indeed.

That's a bit of over psychology for ya ;) (i think I watch the show a bit too much)