[09x05] February 25th, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, quality first post :thumbup:

Secondly, I agree. The show looks to be losing steam, but perhaps its not because they have run out of things to do, but because they are trying to appeal to more people. I thought Jezza was the type of person that would never let that happen to his show but perhaps I was wrong.

As for the scripted feeling the show has now, I couldn't agree more. In the earlier seasons they had me fooled with the in-studio bits. I would have never guessed they were scripted. Now it looks artificial.

I could watch any episode you give me from any other season a million times over and over. Yet as for this season, I don't have the urge to watch any of the episodes again. I thought I was alone for a while thinking this way, but if there's this many of us that feel this way.. we can't all be wrong, right?

for cock-in-hell's sake

can we please please please refrain from ye olde past time of bitching about what TG has supposedly become in threads discussing episodes, or infact any thread TG related (apart from a thread dedicated to free loaders bitching about a show never intended for their eyes. (because yes, it seems the most complaints come from those not in the UK))

it really is starting to get like a busted record, in alot of threads theres the usual set of people people posting the same annoying complaint over n over and a fair few people deciding to sign up specifically to get their complaint in too. dont get me wrong, but who really wants to waste their time reading that?

now if this site was like those "boycott bestbuy" websites, then that would be fine, its a place where everyone posts the same complaint about the same company over n over, thats what its all about. but FG isnt one of those sites.

if it continues i can see the TG portion of this forum becoming one big complaint and thus it'll become completely worthless.

the show has turned away from "just cars" to a more light hearted entertainment show involving cars. the viewing figures suggest that this is what the british fee paying viewers are after, and those are the only people the BBC will take into account. if those viewer numbers are increasing then the BBC/TG are obviously doing something right and theyre going to keep it that way, better viewing figures will ensure the shows future and funding. you can see it as a kind of vote, they're voting to keep TG like this because by tuning in they are telling the bbc thats what they wanna see.

any other viewer population simply isnt taken into account. the rest of the world could hate what TG has become but that wouldnt change a single thing because it wasnt designed for the rest of the world in the first place.

i think Viper should make a TG sub-forum dedicated to complaints about the show. that way the complainers get to post their disgruntled opinion over and over about the show, andy willman will have 1 concentrated place to look at all these complaints (and maybe choose to act on them) and all the other sub forums will be free from this broken "complaints in concert AA side 33RPM" and will be pleasant to read again. because it seems every other thread here theres someone mouthing off about how they hate what TG are doing and seriously its getting really old, really fast.

Last edited:
You're just a TG Fanboy that can't handle a little criticism.

If they think the episode was too scripted, then they can say so in the episode thread.

Free Speech FTW.

I don't think the LP640 will beat the CCX, but I do think it will beat the Zonda F because, remember, the old Murcielago beat the old Zonda.

Yes, the Murci is faster through the bends, as far as I can understand.

If they think the episode was too scripted, then they can say so in the episode thread.

Free Speech FTW.

i aint a fanboy my good sir.

the crux of what i was getting at is not the actual criticism itself, its the amount of it. every thread on a TG ep or feature or anything seems to have plenty of people chiming in with something to moan about. i understand moaning is just human nature, but this place is like reading a book with duplicate pages.... its not interesting to read becuase the same complaints are going round and round and round.

now ok, fair play complaining about and episode in the episode thread is the place to do it. but complaing about the show in a pre-ep thread is just not on. its for discussing the up comign show, not complaining about the previous one.

so i guess what i actually meant was, complaining is fine.... your entitled to do it. just complain in the right places ie the specifice ep threads.

if it is all kept in a sub forum or specific thread so that its all in one place and people can go vent their criticisms about the show, thats a good thing...ideas spawn from it. would probably help any TG workers too having all the criticism and show improvement suggestions in one place instead of spread out in every single thread. if they felt the need to read that is.

and yes free speech for the win indeed, if you believe such a thing exists. i think that right is slowly ebbing away with all the PC and racism bollocks floating around, and i honestly think it doesnt matter how many complain here, the show wont change because the viewing figures suggest they are on to something good, and thats a good thing because the healthier the viewing figures are the more likely we'll get more TG in the future and perhaps they'll get increased budgets too.

I compeletly disagree with those who say its not like before. I think this season of TG have been brilliant.

Voicing my opinion on that McClelland-or-whatever-the-:censored:-his-name-is idiot; this is the first I have heard of this jerk and I already would like to see him banned from any auto-related matter. Of COURSE the car will be difficult to control at it's limits. That I expect. But, pinning the blame of "defective p. o. s." on the engineers at Weissach, who have massive experience in designing these cars, and a lot more intelligence than some twats who can't put the blame where it belongs, is perhaps the most idiotic act I have heard of! If Porsche wins, the joke is on Mcclelland. if he wins, I hope he gets run over fatally by a car (preferably a Porsche, and this applies to him losing, as well)... Until then, I'll make him a laughing stock on the Stella Awardshttp://www.stellaawards.com

As for the next episode, I can't wait to see it. The Lambo is a sinister looking car, the roadster, downright evil (which is good). If it beats the Zonda F, excellent! if it beats the CCX, they have a future potential customer. I'll preorder a roadster now...

Last edited:
Okay, done. The case has been submitted. If any of you or I see it posted, then we can know his idiocy has been exposed as frivolous crap. And now to eagerly await the next episode

People need to take responsibility for their actions.

Sadly, some people seem to be deathly allergic to such a concept, or even using a little thing called "common sense" (though "common" is an oxymoron in this sense.) The people that star in such abuses of the law believe that they are obviously not at fault, where it is the exact opposite, and demand a huge monetary sum to make them feel better. It boils down to a lack of self-responsibility and intelligence, greed, and opportunism. What is even worse is that such cases sometimes SUCCEED, and sometimes infrige on the people's rights simply to pretect the stupid. You know why fast food coffee cups contain the warning "Contents are hot?" Stella Liebeck, the namesake of the Stella Awards, spilled coffee on herself, suffering third-degree burns, and sued McDonalds, demanding MILLIONS in compensation! (the exact details are here:http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html). The same reason applies to all the warning labels one sees on any given product (for example, the generic, government mandated labels on the Dodge Viper that Jeremy pointed out), and a major reason for Health-and-Safety executives. And I'm not exaggerating. idiots will go to court for any little thing. Want proof? A woman SUCCESSFULLY sued David Letterman, claiming he was using code in his dialogue to talk to her. He was barred from using such "code" again. Look him up on Wikipedia. I'm not joking. As long as such people exist, such cases will be filed. It makes me wonder why these morons haven't won a Darwin Award rather than a Stella Award.

wtf? who's McClelland

The LP640 would never beat the Zonda F on a track. It isn't nearly as quick around a circuit as the CGT for that matter. However the TG circuit is a different story because I believe they do get a little creative with the times.

And as long as the people that pay for the show (British Licence Fee payers) keep watching the show will stay in its current format.
The licence fee does not give you a choice as to you what the BBC produces. The licence is a legal requirement, therefore the BBC gets funding no matter what rubbish it chooses to make/show. Audience figures are of no consequence really.
Thank god Fifth Gear have advertisers to answer to.... :D
wtf? who's McClelland
Yeah, who do you mean, John Clelland ex-BTCC champ?

Last edited:
The licence fee does not give you a choice as to you what the BBC produces. The licence is a legal requirement, therefore the BBC gets funding no matter what rubbish it chooses to make/show. Audience figures are of no consequence really.
Thank god Fifth Gear have advertisers to answer to.... :D

Yeah, who do you mean, John Clelland ex-BTCC champ?

i think its that gimped up lawyer from america trying to argue that the porsche carrera GT (one of porsche's best, most advanced and highly engineered cars ever) has some kind of catastophic design flaw that makes its owners die when driving it.

(this is of course after an owner was killed/seriously injured in a crash in his GT)

the only design flaw in that car was the skill-less moron behind the wheel.

and yes the beeb gets the funds no matter what, but they still have distribute those funds around all their programs and shows. if they start showing garbage and people are turning off then i'd wager that they are going to do something about it.... either can it, or reduce its budget. it makes perfect sense to do that else they would of kept any old shit on the air and pocketed the change.

Last edited:

Free Speech FTW.

How contradictory is that. You can't handle the criticism. If people disagree with you, they are 'fanboys'.

Free speech FTW

:lol: This fanboy name calling reminds me of the flame wars on the ps3 boards, saying the ps3 is total crap vs the old ps2, and it's gonna fail. Only now it's topgear season 9 is utter rubbish vs old topgear seasons, and it's gonna get cancelled. Soo they both changed. Change is always good in my book as long as the show is still funny and entertaining, I couldn't careless how many reviews per episode they contain:p.

Here's hoping topgear runs till JC is 99 with a combover afro:lol:.

Last edited:
How contradictory is that. You can't handle the criticism. If people disagree with you, they are 'fanboys'.

Free speech FTW

I'm not the one getting upset at others voicing their opinions.

The McLelland case as mentioned in that article is missing a few facts. Yes, the owner/driver of the CGT had been having "handling problems" all day, but it goes deeper than that. The track day was a Ferrari Club gathering at a nascar track that has an infield road course. During a Nascar event, some track-side barriers were moved to create a "daycare center" for some of the Nascar driver's kids. In between the Nascar event and the Ferrari Club track day the barriers had not been moved back, which drastically reduced the run off area at the end of the straight on the road course. The owner of the Porsche was giving a Lamborghini owner a ride around the track, after the Lambo owner had stopped driving his Murcielago for the day due to overheating issues. The Porsche was lapping the track at speed and entered the straight and passed the pits. A track worker in charge of allowing cars onto the track gave the green light to a Ferrari 575M and allowed him onto the track. At that moment the Ferrari driver entered the racing line, and hesitated to accelerate. The Porsche made an avoidance maneuver and control was lost. The Porsche then left the track and struck the barriers that had been moved for the Nascar event and had not been moved back.

McLelland is suing the track, for not moving the barriers back to their usual road course positions, the Ferrari Club holding the event for allowing the Ferrari out onto the track at an unsafe moment, the estate of the driver, for not disclosing the handling issues to the passenger, as well as Porsche, for selling a dangerous, "defective" vehicle.

McLelland is suing the track, for not moving the barriers back to their usual road course positions, the Ferrari Club holding the event for allowing the Ferrari out onto the track at an unsafe moment, the estate of the driver, for not disclosing the handling issues to the passenger, as well as Porsche, for selling a dangerous, "defective" vehicle.

So in essence everyone EXCEPT the driver is to blame.... Damn no-cure-no-pay lawyers that do anything to get paid :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.