Top Gear to axe train stunt (shown in next ep)

Wow! There was nothing left of the Espace after it travelled what must have been 1/4 mile.

i mean honestly they cant put if off anylonger else there'll be no shows to show it in, and its not really the same type of accident.

I'm not saying they should have pulled it tonight - I'm saying they shouldn't have pulled it a couple of weeks back.

The predictable complaints (reproduced from MediaGuadian):

The BBC has received scores of complaints after deciding to screen a mock rail crash on last night's Top Gear despite Friday's Cumbrian train derailment in which one person died.

The segment saw presenter Jeremy Clarkson leave a people carrier on a level crossing in Lincolnshire as an unmanned 107-tonne diesel engine crashed into it.

The BBC said this morning that 43 people had complained while more calls are thought to have gone to Ofcom.

The episode pulled in 7.4 million viewers and a 28% audience share.

A BBC spokesman said it was agreed following discussions to screen the crash with a warning beforehand.

"We did think about it and that is why we decided to make an announcement before the programme to alert viewers to the fact there was an item about rail safety," a spokesman said.

He added that Network Rail had also been consulted and agreed the segment should go ahead.

The Network Rail deputy chief executive, Iain Coucher, said on Friday the segment was important in raising awareness about the dangers of level crossings.

"Though light-hearted in tone, the message is serious - don't run the risk at level crossings," he said.

"Our people worked hard for months to safely plan this staged event and the results are breathtaking."

One person died and eight others were seriously injured in the Cumbrian crash.

The BBC's chief operating officer, Caroline Thomson, was also on board, although she was un-injured. She broadcast an eyewitness account to BBC News 24 from the scene.

Meanwhile, the BBC has denied speculation that executives are contemplating moving Top Gear from BBC2 to BBC1 following its renewed ratings success.

A spokesman said there had been no official discussions about a move of the show, which is BBC2's highest-rated series.

So 43 complaints from 7.4 million who saw it? In my book that means 7,399,957 people weren't bothered by it. But of course is this day and age the vocal minority rules...

Though I always like how the BBC politely tells these whingers to get stuffed.

do you think I can petition the government to remove phone privileges to those who complain about top gear?

You'd think, if they were going to entrust Clarkson with the job of making the video, that the train people would, I don't know, have maybe watched TG once, maybe twice... ridiculous. It's known (and loved!) for its irreverant humour.

And no matter what Clarkson says over it, the video did actually speak for itself... I mean, holy mother of destruction. It was a pretty obvious message, even with the humour surrounding it.

Last edited:
Just sat down to watch the repeat on BBC2 of last Sunday's Top Gear to find that it has been replaced by a best of which has been shown before. I can only assume that this is because there was a fatal crash yesterday when a car was hit on a level crossing by a train and therefore Clarkson's segment (and presumably the entire episode) cannot be shown.

Just sat down to watch the repeat on BBC2 of last Sunday's Top Gear to find that it has been replaced by a best of which has been shown before. I can only assume that this is because there was a fatal crash yesterday when a car was hit on a level crossing by a train and therefore Clarkson's segment (and presumably the entire episode) cannot be shown.

I hope they show it on BBC3 on Saturday, I didn't see it first time round on Sunday

Today a shockingly similar accident in Norwich.
_42629105_swain_pa203.jpg

Nobody on the train was hurt, but the occupany of the car killed. The video, which may have been irrevant in places yes, really did give out a serious message. Accidents like that happen a lot.

The train was going 100mph and kept going for a mile and a half after the collision.

Let's face it if someone had fallen off their bike, someone would say TG were being insensitive. Some people seem to enjoy complaining about Top Gear, clearly these people have nothing better to do.

I said it on another board after the bull about how TG owed people with head injuries an apology. I asked if, since Hammond was ALSO joking about his brain damage, if HE had to apologize too? You know have the guy with the brain injury apologize for not letting it consume his life?

Top Gear could open a free clinic childrens hospital with state of the art equipment and a policy to never turn away a child, and some arse would complain wasn't big enough.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Gear could open a free clinic childrens hospital with state of the art equipmant and a policy to never turn away a child, and some arse would complain wasn't big enough.

Well, with a policy to NEVER turn away a child, it probably wouldn't be big enough :p