Top Gear Show/Site Suggestions

Well now that the new site is up, the wallpapers are gone! what on earth should I do know?

wow there is a lot of active interest from the Top Gear team here o_O

I haven't read through the entire thread so sorry if someone's suggested this already. But i was just wondering why doesn't TG.com start a video library of full episodes with all episodes available online after they are shown on TV. I saw this because most places don't get TG or they just get the edited version thats shown on BBC world, which is quite sad considering its a cult show and more people should have acess to it :)

I believe that something is in the pipeline for all the episodes to be available online, but it will UK only via BBC website I think.

A health and safety expert has been banned from driving after he was caught shaving as he overtook a line of rush hour traffic at 70mph.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/tayside_and_central/6335491.stm

This HAS to make it on the news segment!!!

Hah! You're from lawrence too?

I still say that a mid 90's japanese supercar roundup (3000GT VR4/GTO, NSX, Skyline GTR, , RX-7 TT, Supra would make for an interesting segment, or indeed, a good theme for a show (Remember Health and Safety episode, Top Gear on a budget, german cars, cheap cars, expensive cars, that sort of deal)

Here's my two cents...

*Persuade* the BBC to *possibly* bring the show *unedited* to *BBC America.*

I just have two ideas for challenges....

eBay cars: Each presenter is given X amount of pounds to purchase a car off of eBay to be used in a set of challenges. The type of car is left totally and completely open, the ony suggestion being that the car should fit the purchaser and be a car they "like".

When the presenters arrive in their purchases the first thing they have to do is to trade cars with another presenter. What this does is place each of the guys in a car they know nothing about. They bought a car that fit their wants/needs/personality, but are now stuck with something bought for them by someone completely different to themselves. This also gives ample opportunity for each presenter to mock the others on the way to the first challenge, and we all love that, don't we?

Challenge I-Pulling Women: The cars are parked in central London and the presenters ask women which of the three cars makes them hot, of course campaigning for their own car. Each car can only get as many votes as passengers it can carry, which also denotes how many points are awarded. (Example: Clarkson's green Jag saloon, bought by James May, can get 4 points, but try and get a woman to like that more than the red MX5, capable of getting only 1 point, that Hammond bought but was gifted to James May). Bonus 10 points for the first car that wins it's maximum points and 5 points for the second car to fill it's seats with hotties. (As a gag, have the Stig show up in a lorry and drive away with a gaggle of giggling girls)

Challenge II-The Reversing Obstacle Course: The cars are brought to the Top Gear Test Track where a short, but difficult "auto-x/gymkhana" course has been laid out in cones. The Stig sets the target time in the Comedy Handling Award winning Smart City.... going forwards. The presenters must then drive the same course in reverse. 1 point awarded for each second they are faster than The Stig, and 1 point deducted for each second slower than The Stig and a further point deducted for each cone knocked or run over.

Challenge III-The School/Shop/Take Away Food Run: A typical large SUV driving mum can pick-up 5 kids from school, hit the shop, and the take away place in an hour, can the presenters match that? Each presenter must pick up 5 children from school, make a run to the shop for a predetermined list of items, and then order and pick-up a take away meal for the 5 kids. Each child MUST have a seatbelt. If the presenter only has a two seater, they must make 5 trips to school total. A timed event with 25 points to the winner, 10 to second place. Bonus points awarded to the car the kids like the best (5 points), to the presenter the kids like the best (5 points) and the take away meal the kids like the best (5 points).

Challenge IV-Demolition Derby: Out come the windows, in go the roll bars, last car running wins. 50 points to the winner.

Who will buy the coolest car and have to give it to Captain Slow? How much will Clarkson bribe the kids to say he's awesome? Can Hammond fill a Land Rover with hotties based on his oh-so-white teeth alone?

----------------------

The Top Gear Best Presenter Competition (moderated by Jimmy "Professor" Carr)

The greatest question ever posed by modern man will finally be answered: Which Top Gear presenter is the best 'petrolhead' and therefore best equipped to give his automotive opinion. Each man will be put through his paces in a variety of trivia questions and real world driving situations, all driving the same car.

The Car: The Reasonably Priced Chevrolet Licetti

The Trivia Challenges: Real petrolheads know their stuff. Do these guys?

Challenge I-Name That Car: Each presenter is shown 10 photos of obscure automobiles from throughout history. 1 point for each correct answer, 1 point deducted for each incorrect answer. 5 bonus points for the presenter to get through all 10 fastest.

Challenge II-Who Won When With What?: Each presenter is asked to match 5 Formula 1 Champions with the year they first won the driver's championship and the car they did it in. 5 points for each correct full set and 10 bonus points to the fastest to complete the test.

Challenge III-Real Petrolheads Like Bikes Too: The presenters are shown a Motorcycle. If they smile 20 points. If they don't, 20 point deduction.

The Driving Challenges: WARNING automatic 100 point deduction for any presenter unlucky enough to be at the wheel when a breakdown occurs at any time during the next 3 challenges!

Challenge IV-The Three Parallel Park Turn: On a simulated London street, with hay bales simulating parked cars, each presenter must drive up the 'street' and parallel park on one side of the street, then exit the space, perform a 3 point turn within the 'street' and parallel park on the opposite side of the 'street', exit the space and return to the starting point. A timed event with 50 points to the lowest time, 25 to second place. 5 point deduction for each 'touch' while parking, each extra turn during the 3 point turn, and each time they swear.

Challenge V-Economics 101: Each presenter takes the Licetti on a 101 mile journey around a course combining motorway and city driving, starting with a full tank of fuel. The catch is they do not know what is being tested until they complete the loop, at which time the tank is drained and MPG determined for each driver. The highest MPG gets 50 points and sets the target for the other two, 5 points deducted for each MPG less than the target. 1 point bonus for each time they curse another driver along the 101 mile route.

Challenge VI-Racer Boy: Each presenter takes three laps around the Top Gear Test Track from a standing start. The Stig sets the target time, Jimmy "Professor" Carr sets the Sudden Death time. Go faster than The Stig and they earn 1 point for each 10th of a second faster they are and deduct 1 point for each 10th of a second slower they are than the Stig. Go slower than Jimmy Carr and they are automatically disqualified from the competition.

Challenge VII-Most Popular Boy In School: Each audience member in the studio has been given a ballot and cast their vote as they enter before the filming. 50 points for the winner, 25 for second place, and for third place 1 point deduction for each vote that second place has over them.

The winner is declared The Presenter Of The Year, given a tiara, roses and is immune from The Golden Cock at the Top Gear awards.

------------------------

Those are my ideas... just what I'd like to see.

Last edited:
Nice ideas, ApexOversteer.

I thought of one a little while ago (they used up "my" idea for an American road trip, so I had to think harder).

----

THE GREAT CANADIAN ROADTRIP

The Challenge (the entire thing is a race... sort of):

1. The presenters are each given CAD$1500 to go and buy a car in Calgary. It must be a European car (no Camaros, no pickups)

2. They meet up at the Race City motorsport park to do the standard performance tests. Aside from the lap of the track, they are then instructed to do their best 0-60MPH time. They lose a point for every tenth of a second slower the car is compared to when it was new.

3. They then drive the 10-hour journey to Vancouver. There are many different routes that one could take, so they have to figure out the quickest and use that one.

4. Once in Vancouver (the MPG test), they must sell the cars for the most amount possible.

5. Whoever can do all of this the fastest and meet up at a predefined meeting place (can't think of one right now) gets 100 bonus points. The 2nd place finisher gets 50 points, and 3rd place gets -10 points.

----

Also, all of the presenters should participate in the Gumball rally one year.

I'm sure this has been said before but I would like the car reviews to be a little longer. the LP640 and 911 Turbo reviews were 2-3 minutes shorts. Reviews like the Atom were almost 10 minutes compared to 6 for the Lamborghini.

The stunts are great but they need to be shortened down. Conkers and having things jump over caravan type length would be better. Having 1/2 episode long stunts are still great but maybe only 1 or 2 a season, not every episode.

Going back to what Clarkson said at the beginning of the first episode of new TG, "this is a car program". If I wanted to see stunts every episode I would watch Monster Garage or something else. I like the stunts but they are becoming overused.

I enjoy Top Gear as much as ever and keep up the good work.

what about this

when the stig tests a car , you can see the telemetry like you could in the first season .

maybe have not just a track time but a most lateral g board or greatest acceleration board or braking

have more technical info

this would involve another presenter who is a tech ,mad scientist , gearhead guy .
when it comes time to actually learn something about a car , cut to techie gearhead guy who will then say ,with computer animated graphics in the background , "yes , well the w 16 engine really looks nothing like a w does it ? " , then jeremy can call him boring and they get in an argument over whether it is boring or not .

for that matter , the g forces that espace was subjected to when hit by that train ?

just a thought ...

:tumbleweed:

try also saleen s-7 , ssc aero for testing:think:

:cheers:

Skoda

Skoda

Anyone seen the Skoda ad where they make a car out of cake?

Hamster, May and Clarkson in aprons, cake mix, Clarkson won't read the recipe, chaos ensues!

Just a thought...

^ That really is a great advert. I thought it was a Honda one at first. They are the kinda people who think of things like that.

Who else here wants to see Top Gear test the MTM RS4 clubsport, lancia delta integrale, Audi S1, and some more ladas

1.me
2. ..
3. ...

Nice ideas, ApexOversteer.

I thought of one a little while ago (they used up "my" idea for an American road trip, so I had to think harder).

----

THE GREAT CANADIAN ROADTRIP

The Challenge (the entire thing is a race... sort of):

1. The presenters are each given CAD$1500 to go and buy a car in Calgary. It must be a European car (no Camaros, no pickups)

2. They meet up at the Race City motorsport park to do the standard performance tests. Aside from the lap of the track, they are then instructed to do their best 0-60MPH time. They lose a point for every tenth of a second slower the car is compared to when it was new.

3. They then drive the 10-hour journey to Vancouver. There are many different routes that one could take, so they have to figure out the quickest and use that one.

4. Once in Vancouver (the MPG test), they must sell the cars for the most amount possible.

5. Whoever can do all of this the fastest and meet up at a predefined meeting place (can't think of one right now) gets 100 bonus points. The 2nd place finisher gets 50 points, and 3rd place gets -10 points.

----

Also, all of the presenters should participate in the Gumball rally one year.

Awesome idea, I agree they should do something like this in Canada.

they should do a roadtrip from the east to west of america, buy a car in NYC and sell it in SF, with of course challenges along the way