Fires prompt toilet recall... wait, what?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/070416/K041608AU.html?fire

Yeah, of all the headlines you expect to read, that is not one of them.

Toto says bidet toilets may catch fire, offers free repairs

TOKYO (AP) - Japan's leading toilet maker Toto Ltd. is offering free repairs for 180,000 bidet toilets after wiring problems caused several to catch fire, the company said Monday.

The electric bidet accessory of Toto's Z series caught fire in three separate incidents between March 2006 and March 2007, according to company spokeswoman Emi Tanaka.

"Fortunately, nobody was using the toilets when the fire broke out and there were no injuries," Tanaka said. "The fire would have been just under your buttocks."

The company will repair 180,000 toilet units manufactured between May 1996 and December 2001 for free, she said. A manufacturing defect is thought to have led to the faulty wiring.

Toto has been a pioneer in high-tech toilets fitted with pressurized water sprayers - a standard fixture in Japanese homes.

The popular Z series features a pulsating massage spray, a power dryer, built-in-the-bowl deodorizing filter, the "Tornado Wash" flush and a lid that opens and closes automatically. Prices range from $1,680 to $2,600).

The model is not sold overseas.

At least a bidet sprays water on you when your ass catches fire. :blowup:

a pulsating massage spray? Why do I think that feature's not being used for massage at all? And why do I also think that it was the escessive use of that feature that set the thing on fire in the first place? :rolleyes:

And only the lid opens and closes automatically. They should make the toilet seats lift or come down automatically according to the position of the person (sitting or standing in front of it). That would solve a whole lot of relationship disputes. I also vote toilet paper rather than washer & dryer, and I'd never buy a toilet bowl that sells for an average of $2000 .... damn.

Last edited:
<--Has Toto toilets in his house. :blink:

Thankfully they aren't the fancy electronic ones. I do love their slow-falling seats though.

Fires prompt toilet recall
No shit!?

:lol: This is almost as bad as burning down a car wash.

I've used those before. It's slightly nervewracking hearing the whirring of hidden machinery behind your seated butthole, but nothing prepares you for the heinous shock of having steaming hot water fired up said butthole. It's a terrifying and thoroughly unique experience that only those in Japan can consider normal.

I've used those before. It's slightly nervewracking hearing the whirring of hidden machinery behind your seated butthole, but nothing prepares you for the heinous shock of having steaming hot water fired up said butthole. It's a terrifying and thoroughly unique experience that only those in Japan can consider normal.

I don't think bidets are uniquely Japanese. They had them in Pudong International in Shanghai, though I didn't use them at the time.

Bidets are extremely popular in France too. I tried it. It was wierd.

That is all.

When I was in Japan I tried to do a little movie of those toilets. They first have a pressure sensor that activates a trickle of water when you're backing out the brown station wagon. Apparently it's meant to prevent others from hearing you make that PLOOMP sound.

So, to show how the spray worked (there are two settings, one for your freckle, the other for a bit further forward), I had to put my foot on the toilet seat. I then pressed the button. This little mechanical arm came out with a whirring noise, paused, and shot a jet of water all over the bathroom wall, drenching the bathroom in the process.

Powerful stuff. Which I wasn't prepared to expose my naked behind to.

I love this forum. :lol:

Magnet: dude, that is some powerful shit in those toilets. I did that same experiment and ended up shooting water 6 feet out, past ting the he bathroom door, soaking the opposite wall of the hotel room as well as my mom's new purse. I was completely drenched myself.

It's like being shot at with a fire truck hose. Except worse, because it's coming from your toilet.

That sounds like you missed to visit a psychiatrist afterwards. Tell me, do you still feel violated? :p

This sounds like the kit for me - without the fire of course, cleans parts other cleaning appartus can not reach!

That is all. (I like that).

i really wanna see one of these actually go up in flames. i can image it would be quite funny until the flames get to the curtains.

anyway

it's time for the things you least expect to catch fire game

at 3 it's the Telephone

a close second it's the Clock

but our winner is the humble Lavatory!

continue...

Don't those guys have heated toilet seats too? That would be like there always was somebody before you. Eikebah.