WHAT THE...???

RUU-CHAMA

Car(s)
Mazda6
I'm just surfing around, wasting time, when I found this website.

http://www.v8archie.com/

They make body kits for old Pontiac Fiero's and I took a look and saw this

gt4t10.jpg

gt4t7.jpg

gt4t13.jpg

gt4t11.jpg

gt4t5.jpg

The interiors better than some cars I know.
gt4t14.jpg

They've turned a Fiero into a GT40. And the kit costs around $4800 This is just crazy :jawdrop:.

P.S. They also have a small block v8 kit that gets from 250hp to 400hp.

Mate there are dozens of shitty GT40 replicas around. Nothing new there.

Yeah I never drove a Fiero (rare) and was wondering if they were rubbish to drive.

in all honesty? matters which year and model, its more accurate to put yourself in mind of something like a Golf, it can be a terribly built boring car, or a R32/GTi

to be specific, the early ones were mostly all trash, and the 4cyl "Iron Duke" engine was horrifically bad (no power, no reliability, no strength if tuned, 4500 rev limit). But the late "Formula" and "GT" V6 models are actually pretty good, not as tactile as say a Miata or a MR2, but much more comfortable (of course) and actually pretty predictable at the limit

in all honesty? matters which year and model, its more accurate to put yourself in mind of something like a Golf, it can be a terribly built boring car, or a R32/GTi

to be specific, the early ones were mostly all trash, and the 4cyl "Iron Duke" engine was horrifically bad (no power, no reliability, no strength if tuned, 4500 rev limit). But the late "Formula" and "GT" V6 models are actually pretty good, not as tactile as say a Miata or a MR2, but much more comfortable (of course) and actually pretty predictable at the limit

And the mid engine layout looked promising too.

They're kinda cute - they've got their own style going there, even if it is inadvertent because of how different a platform the Fiero is.

Man, the Fiero...what a campy car. Badass EXTREME name, wedgy 80s style, from the company that you'd least expect to pull off a small mid-engine little boat. Oh, and it caught on fire. Perfect.

Growing up, the only memory I have of the Fiero is having a toy car with a deformable front end. When you ploughed the car into a wall, the front would crumple, the boot and door would fly open.

Lol, for the price of buying a Fiero and truning it into what looks like a Hot Wheels GT40, you can buy a used kit GTD40, that actually looks like the real deal.

gtd40.jpg

Hmm, doesn't look that great to me. The Fiero's wheelbase is way too short to for a GT40 like body. The Fiero never looked good at any point in it's life, as a Countach, Testarossa, or a Fiero. The car's suspension also had issues which caused it to have a small rollover problem...along with all the other issues it had. The 80's were not kind to GM.

The only surprising thing about a Fiero kit car, is that anyone is surprised that a Feiro has been turned into a kit car. I think it's the basis for most mid engined kits out there. There is a website by someone who was building a 355 replica using a fiero.

And the mid engine layout looked promising too.

Well remember, it was a cheap GM product designed in the very late 70's/early 80's. They used Chevy Citation front suspension on the rear (along with the entire driveline), not till 86 or 87 were they able to put the proper suspension they had engineered into the car. Their chassis does have potential though, just takes some modding.

Stick a newer engine in one, sort out the suspension, and you'll have a decent car. Or so I've been told. I've been tempted to pick up a cheap junk one and do an ecotec swap, but can't bring myself to own a Pontiac.

Stick a newer engine in one, sort out the suspension, and you'll have a decent car. Or so I've been told. I've been tempted to pick up a cheap junk one and do an ecotec swap, but can't bring myself to own a Pontiac.
Lol, you really don't like Pontiacs do you man?

I knew a guy with an '87 GT in high school that was a blast to drive. Granted, we didn't really know our elbows from our assholes when it came to cars then, but it was very easy to take corners really fast. The 2.5L cars are slow but they get great gas mileage. Plus you can stick just about any GM engine in them. I think I even heard about one with the turbo GNX V6 in it. I'd buy an '86 to '88 GT if I found a good deal on one.

I like the cars but I think the bodykits for them are a bit too much. Even if they are well executed, it's still just a clone, a rip-off.

one word..

UGLY!

Hopefully, the fiero's tendency to catch fire has remained, and will burn that monstrosity to the ground.

That GTD40, however, looks like one of the better replicas. It captures the looks of the GT40 MKII (my favorite) very well. And I see it has the bubble roof for taller drivers. Does it have a 7-liter V8,with carburetors?

Along well-sorted replicas, there was a guy set on turning his esprit into the racing version. I had bookmarked his website, but the boot sector on my hard drive became corrupted, so I to reload Windows, and i lost the bookmark.

Last edited:
but the boot sector on my hard drive became corrupted, so I to reload Windows, and i lost the bookmark.

You know windows xp has a couple of handy dandy commands on the installer disc to fix the boot sector right? It can overwrite the mbr, and also just fix the boot code for XP, and it doesn't wipe out your install either.

Lol, you really don't like Pontiacs do you man?

I knew a guy with an '87 GT in high school that was a blast to drive. Granted, we didn't really know our elbows from our assholes when it came to cars then, but it was very easy to take corners really fast. The 2.5L cars are slow but they get great gas mileage. Plus you can stick just about any GM engine in them. I think I even heard about one with the turbo GNX V6 in it. I'd buy an '86 to '88 GT if I found a good deal on one.

I like the cars but I think the bodykits for them are a bit too much. Even if they are well executed, it's still just a clone, a rip-off.

The later era Fiero's I think look pretty good, and I know thats got the better suspension. Why shop up an otherwise good looking car just to make it look like a Ferrari?

If GM made an engine, it's probably been shoved in a Fiero. I know of a couple of Quad 4 HO, at least 1 Ecotec w/ BF-Turbo, several 3.5 DOHC v6, GN v6 or 3800 SC (basically the same engine, different form of forced induction), the 4.3 Vortec v6 in both N/A and with Syclone/Typhoon components, and of course the SBC. The more interesting one was a Vega DOHC Cosworth Engine swap.

Oh and I do like Pontiac's, when they used to be called Super Duties and did things like "swiss cheese" frames, and Alumin(i)um bodies to save weight. I dislike the newer FWD ones mostly because I'm sick of seeing them out here.

Last edited:
From what I can gather it seems like GM had big plans for the Fiero in the 90's. A V8, better suspension, etc. Too bad it got killed off before that stuff came along because I think that would have made a great little car. I wouldn't mind having an 87 or 88 Fiero GT. They look cool and have a very nice sound coming out the back. There's a guy around here that has a whole collection of Fieros. He must have at least 9 of them.

It's also my understanding that the fire problem was solved fairly early on in the production run. Such a shame people won't let that go.

I owned a 1984 Fiero. The previous owner put in Koni struts and shocks, and Eibach springs, plus replaced all the original bushings with polyurethane ones. The body was oxidized and dull, but obviously no rust!

It had the 2.5 liter "Iron Duke", and boy it was slow! But, it was as reliable as the sun rising, and what it lacked in power, I could drive almost twice as fast as what a speed limit was posted in a corner. In other words, if the curve was marked 30 mph, I could do it without fear at 50-55 mph.

In the 4 years I owned it, never once did I have a problem. All in all, I think it was a great effort on the part of GM, as this was a very radical vehicle for them. In fact, it still is!

Here is a pic of me about to race it in an autocross event.
http://img187.imageshack.**/img187/5153/racerxxr8.jpg