Gumball 2007 - Accident in Macedonia

R.I.P. Gumball......... you will be missed.

You can't be fucking serious. Maybe a RIP for the deceased man would be appropriate?

I'd like to send an open letter to the carmakers of the world.

Dear Car Makers,

We implore you to ban Maximillion Cooper, Gumball 3000 organizer and all-around asshole, from purchasing any of your cars. His underhanded tactics and general sneakiness don't reflect well on the prestige of your brand (even you, Perodua). During this year's Gumball rally, one of the participating teams killed a bystander and then attempted to flee to Germany. Cooper unleashed a massive cover-up effort, blocking any mention of the crash from reaching the internet and refusing to mention the crash to any teams in the event. By doing so, he not only showed an extreme lack of tact, but he also put the drivers and bystanders in serious danger. Sure enough, before the rally was canceled, two more crashes occured; both of them could have easily ended like the first.

This overall lack of good taste and common sense shouldn't be ignored. This shameful cover-up should serve as a warning of things to come if he is allowed to get behind the wheel of one of your vehicles.

Signed,

A concerned onlooker

Hey, look at the bright side: we won't have to see Paris Hilton participate!

I got nothing. An innocent man died because some rich hairdresser fucks wanted to blast across the countryside for no particular reason. And those two guys, after fleeing the scene of the accident, without considering helping the victims, trying to flee the country in a fellow racer's car, are probably going to get off easy...

:cry:

Well, I hate to say it, but it had to happen.

Perhaps, finally, Gumball will stop. Permanently. I find it absolutely reprehensible that the drivers would try to run out of the country after they've caused a local resident to pass away AND we then hear that Gymball3000 organisers are trying to cover it up.

Disgraces, all of them. Max Cooper should be hung out to dry, how dare he not cancel it immediately.

Alex Roy is a champion, he's always been my favourite driver and I applaud him for withdrawing from the race, sorry, rally. At least he has some decency in his body.

Gumball is stupid. Gumball is dangerous. Gumball is filled with rich wankers who have lots of dollars but not much sense. (Except Alex Roy and Mr. Ross, I think he knows when to cool it).

Max Cooper, stop Gumball, stop it now, forever. I don't know how he could consciously organise another rally when two of the entrants have committed such a heinous offence.

i have to admit.. i have always enjoyed watching the gumball... hell any of the "rallys" it's fun to watch supercars bombing around at highspeed on actual roads, but when something like this happens it does tend to make one think about the consequences and how lucky these rallys have been in regard to injuries and loss of life. I will be very supprised if we see another gumball atleast for a few years

i guess eveyone will have to enter the Pan-america and targas now.

I'm going to miss the Gumball too if they stop it all together.

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for the family, and yes, the twats in that Porsche should rot in hell for legging it after they had the crash, but some of the drivers in there had at least a moddicum of common sense.
Like Alex Roy, who just pulled out. Lonman (Rob Kenworthy), the guy who's done the last three rallies in the red Enzo, and Richie Warren. They were all a bit crazy to an extent, but they knew that when they sped they were doing it on a highway, not tiny B-roads like that Porsche. And they knew when to call it a day. Celebrities never did it any good either.
I'm just sad that it's a case of one of two wankers dragging down everyone else in the pool.

An innocent bystander is dead, and you're relieved because it wasn't an Enzo? You need fucking help.

sorry sorry I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry for the lost of the victims.

That sucks.

But lets get a reality check here. Well over a million people die each year in car related crashes. The Gumball causes very few of them.

That sucks.

But lets get a reality check here. Well over a million people die each year in car related crashes. The Gumball causes very few of them.

More people die from idiot drunktards and crap drivers that think they are super man.

I really like Alex Roy...enjoyed watching him in BullRun vids and Gumball...I also like the idea of long rallys (would love to take part but not going too fast).

RIP Innocent Man.

I always wondered why never a deadly accident happened in Gumball.
Altough I loved to watch it!
I regret the fact some innocent guy had to die. But I'll hope the rally will come back next year. But maybe on more secured roads.

That sucks.

The difference here is that this has happened in an organised event that encourages this sort of ego-stroking, disregard-the-safety-of-other-road-users driving.

Actually, what pissed me off most is that they tried to run.

And the fact that the lawyers of the drivers are now trying to say that the person driving the Porsche was actually trying to get to a Police station to report the accident - BULLSHIT!

And the fact that they tried to run. Pathetic.

And the fact that Gumball3000.com tried to cover it up.

There's very big difference in:
a)speeding
b)speeding at the wrong side of the road

Also not all gumball drivers drive recklessly.

In the future Gumball should mainly drive only multiple lane roads where its much safer. In recent years I have seen lots of very dangerous situations from videos. Mainly because roads selected were narrow, heavy traffic and slow vehicles like tractors are overtaked with big risk.

In overall they should avoid poorer countries where road infrastructure and car fleet is older and remove competition elements from the event.
Also timetable should be less tight and drivers should be tested for alcohol level before leaving from hotell.

^true... the Eastern european roads are just too old and not developed to be catering for Supercars traveling at those speeds, the gumball was generally safer when it was held in the US or even in previous European races where they went to southern Europe... however, in more developed countries, cops are generally less corrupted and are in a better position to create roadblocks or have more resources to spare to make sure drivers are fined appropriately.

I'm not going to defend the Gumball or the typical attitudes of the people taking part but I'll say this; be careful of reading one or two news articles full of "allegedly" and half facts and concocting a full picture out of it.

The official line from the Gumball hq (i presume they got the explanation from the drivers) is that the Golf driver pulled out from a stop sign, the porsche tried to avoid him but couldn't swerve around.

The worse part is the presumption they ran for the border. The further details say they got out, called the authorities, waited with the car until the ambulances arrived (the man in the Golf was alive at this point). They then left the scene as passengers. It was only at the border they were told by the police/found out the man had died (the man died of a heart-attack on the way to hospital) and were taken in by the police force. They didn't run away from a fatal accident, or leave a dead man.

Like i said i'm not going to defend anyones actions but everyone in internet land seems to be jumping to conclusions based on one or two articles. It'll take weeks before enough facts are out and corroborated for us to make judgements on blame or their actions after the accident.

Last edited:
^true... the Eastern european roads are just too old and not developed to be catering for Supercars traveling at those speeds, the gumball was generally safer when it was held in the US or even in previous European races where they went to southern Europe... however, in more developed countries, cops are generally less corrupted and are in a better position to create roadblocks or have more resources to spare to make sure drivers are fined appropriately.

No disrespect but have you been to eastern europe, or southern for that matter, to know the condition of their roads?

well they have had close calls before....and now its gone over the edge. the fact these two then tried to escape is just sick...fucking cowards.

the numerous crashes i have seen have been lucky, only resulting in a damaged ego.

the guy with the white 355 spider with loony on the number plate...flipped it in ukrain or where ever, the lambo on last years gumball hit a tree, camo phantom hit a guard rail, 2 gumballs ago the dude with the reyland cossie stuffed it in the morrocan desert, roll cage saved him, tourquenstein got unlucky when he hit a bump at 150 and he pretty much split his viper in half, same rally 2 360's crashed out one hit a tractor and off into the bushes

that is always the problem in these 3rd worlder countries... the gumballers come steaming in with little regard for the natives, they take advantage of the lax road laws and law enforcement...and this shit happens. you could see it on the moroccan one....driving the wrong way down dual carraige ways, overtaking on the hardshoulder, heck overtaking on the damn pavement and dusty walk ways next to roads. (kim schimdt drove down the promenade in monte carlo just to beat ant n pete to the finish, infact those 3 battled for the lead alot of the way pulling some simply ludicrous stunts)

its about time it happened to be honest...they really needed to get the participants attitudes in check. max always always says that its not a race its a rally.

but put a bunch of petrol headed, big ego'd celebs in flash cars and your going to get a race no matter what. they need to start screening the entries lol! or putting GPS trackers in all the cars.

i have watched gumball nearly from the start...the influx of big money celebs and going farther afield has only made these crashes more frequent.

I like the idea of good old fashioned rally, but gumball is a joke. Never liked it because of the people who drive in it. And well, this thread sums up perfectly why.

i remember when it was just a bunch of nobody's....rich nobody's mind, but unknowns non the less. it was cool then

now its very chintzy and very tacky, all the celebs turn up trying to out do each other with daft paint jobs and gimmicks.

http://img465.imageshack.**/img465/2294/gtcrashedma1.jpg

Another big crash today. A Carrera GT also crashed. End it, Cooper, NOW!

hasnt a ford GT crashed too?

wow, glad to see alex roy speaking in actions rather than words.... i always liked him, he is one of the gumballer from the earlier days, he knows what its about, and hes a successful man...deservedly so too (he was successful before gumball) and he's also one of gumballs most notable participants (he helps people out, has a lot of fun, drives within his limits, preps his car well and usually doesnt do idiotic stuff)

to have him, almost a poster child for gumball, withdraw is a bit of blow...he's got the right attitude for sure.

[edit] For post in a row? Get your act together![/edit]

Last edited by a moderator: