USA Open Wheel Racing - Any way to fix it?

jayson

Car(s)
F80 M3
Remember in the 90's, when many considered US Open Wheel the juggernaut that may actually dethrone Nascar as the #1 racing series in North America? Remember when we saw future F1 stars progress through the series - or even established stars coming over from F1 to run? What happened!?

Yes we all know about the split, and how Tony George is an idiot... but is there anything that can actually be done to fix Open Wheel Racing in the USA? As political as F1 has become in recent years, I cant help but look back to the past and notice that we never realized how good we had it here in the states.

What do you think can be done to fix things?

I don't have any suggestions, but these were the days:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25bHlzCbLuA[/youtube]

New rule: a minimum of 20 corners for every track. Otherwise, IRL is basically open wheel NASCRAP.

I think the egos in charge are too big to go out of their way to merge. They don't care about open wheel racing in the US, they only care about money and being in charge of their own series. There needs to be a comprimise made that will satisfy both parties. A series with roads coarses, street courses, and ovals. F1 used to respect CART, that's why guys like Andretti, Montoya, Villeneuve etc. all got a shot at F1. Jacques Villeneuve said it himself, that before it was amazing and it was respected by those involved in racing in Europe. Now both sides are a meager shell of their former selves, it's pathetic really.

^ True. CCWS (formerly CART...sort of) is watchable, but a bit silly.

F1 doesn't really recognize it as a "pre-qualifying" series. I know Bourdais has tried, with little success, to get into F1, but any offers he received were merely "maybes" with no real guarantees. He's a great driver and I think he would probably do well, but that's the politics of F1 (and the lack-of-seriousness of American series)

Last edited:
I know how to fix it. Merge Indy and Champ Car and run it in tandem with Nascar so that they race on Saturday and Nascar on a Sunday.

A merger is the only way to fix it - but that's not going to happen any time soon (informal discussions had occurred over the past year, but media speculation and meddling means it's all off again). It's sad - I can remember when ChampCar was an incredible series - now it's just a shadow of it's former self.

How to fix it? Money. NASCAR money. But that is only a small part.

You will have to convince the millions of people who watch NASCAR to try watching open wheel racing. Let me be frank: The majority of NASCAR fans know little about motorsports, and as such, are content to watch rolling billboards for two hours while pounding down salty snacks and guzzling watery beer.

Americans on the whole pride themselves on being different; whereas the most popular sport in the world in soccer, in America it is football. Same goes for motorsports. NASCAR is undoubtedly American in every way.

Also, you can pinpoint it to events from the late 1940's and 1950's. At the time, there was three major racing sanctioning bodies: the SCCA, the AAA(not the auto club) and NASCAR. SCCA had, and in some ways, still have an air of elitism about them, thus alienating common people and letting only the rich boys race. Plus, the SCCA didnt really pay a person to race. The AAA sanctioned mostly oval tracks and the Indy 500. They were absorbed and dissolved by FIA. The FIA hosted a few events here and there, but never got a foothold in America. Shame.

That only left NASCAR to have free rein to dictate what motorsports would be sanctioned. And look at the results...

I quit watching after the split, but I just recently started to watch some Champ Car again.

It's going to be very, very difficult to fix it I think.
A merge would help, not running during Nascar races would help.
Changes in format, like a different way of qualifying, having a sprint race and feature races, or reverse grids could possibly help too.
But all of that is probably unlikely to happen.

I don't see much hope at all, and it wouldn't surprise me if 10 years from now it goes in the direction of Pro Bowling (which became extinct for a while).
Perhaps after a catastrophe like that, open wheel racing in the US would be better off resurrecting itself as GP2:US or F1:US or something similar.

Last edited:
open-wheel racing isn't "broken" in the unites states. for some reason, nascar simply shot right past grand prix and sports car racing in the united states as far as popularity is concerned.

open-wheel racing isn't "broken" in the unites states. for some reason, nascar simply shot right past grand prix and sports car racing in the united states as far as popularity is concerned.

The hell it isn't broken, CART was very popular. Everyone and their mother has been complaining about the split, and each series is suffering because of it. This has only helped the popularity of NASCAR.

The reason NASCAR shot past open-wheel racing rapidly was the split, albeit the effect had a delay. CART made it through the split just fine largely thanks to having all the big teams and drivers, but as the costs went up and caused those big teams to move to IRL, along with engine suppliers and taking their big name drivers with them CART went from 'hero to zero' very rapidly. Rahal, Ganassi, Penske, Andretti...

And since IRL only did ovals, almost all the international interest towards american open-wheel racing was gone in an instant. And it seems like the american audiences lost interest as well and tuned in for NASCAR instead of IRL. IMO the whole 'Danicamania' and the attention received by other lady drivers as well highlights the struggle for visibility.

To me it looks like both series are struggling to survive. Both have big trouble to field 20 cars for races, for the first time they seemed to be really struggling to fill the Indy 500 grid and spectator numbers are down. To top that, there are only few big teams like Penske and Ganassi who win almost all races in IRL and the same goes for Champcar. This makes the races quite boring for the big audience who are not interested to follow a fight for fifth place and below, no matter how good the battle would be for a racing fan. The rules also need to be kept simple, and silly rules like the no-blocking in Champcars need to go.

The damage has been done in the last 10 years and I think it'll take about that long to fix it as well, unless NASCAR keeps shooting themselves in the leg with their debris cautions and other silly ideas. But it won't happen even then unless the two series either unite or start working together towards one goal in such way that the teams and drivers are able to do both series. It's essential to have all the big names in one grid and all the attention, sponsors and TV coverage from all the races. With all that being split between two competing series the american open-wheel racing will keep on dying.

Sorry for double post, but I suppose this will be quite long as well and about quite a different matter

How to fix it? Money. NASCAR money. But that is only a small part.

You will have to convince the millions of people who watch NASCAR to try watching open wheel racing. Let me be frank: The majority of NASCAR fans know little about motorsports, and as such, are content to watch rolling billboards for two hours while pounding down salty snacks and guzzling watery beer.

Americans on the whole pride themselves on being different; whereas the most popular sport in the world in soccer, in America it is football. Same goes for motorsports. NASCAR is undoubtedly American in every way.

Also, you can pinpoint it to events from the late 1940's and 1950's. At the time, there was three major racing sanctioning bodies: the SCCA, the AAA(not the auto club) and NASCAR. SCCA had, and in some ways, still have an air of elitism about them, thus alienating common people and letting only the rich boys race. Plus, the SCCA didnt really pay a person to race. The AAA sanctioned mostly oval tracks and the Indy 500. They were absorbed and dissolved by FIA. The FIA hosted a few events here and there, but never got a foothold in America. Shame.

That only left NASCAR to have free rein to dictate what motorsports would be sanctioned. And look at the results...

I'm no expert on the history of american racing(although I'm interested about it) but to my knowledge FIA never really absorbed any of the american motorport associations... AAA stopped hosting races after 1955, which was followed by forming USAC, which did affiliate with FIA somewhat but wasn't absorbed by it. But the major open-wheel racing moved from USAC to CART in around 1980, and that never really had anything to do with FIA either. As far as I know FIA has always pretty much failed to make any sort of impact in USA, apart from the US GP.

In america the organisations can do pretty much what they want, compared to Europe where everything is controlled by FIA, and as NASCAR is currently the biggest one they can do as they wish. They have the whole ladder set up that a talented driver can climb up, from local and regional races to national series ARCA, Busch, Trucks and Nextel Cup. In open-wheelers, Champcar has their Atlantics and Star Mazdas once you get to that level and IRL their Indy Pro Series, but below those everything is scattered to smaller associations like USAC and SCCA. There's no real ladder that talented drivers could climb up and get to the top, and all series are competing for the same amount of talent. With sportscar racing as well.

As for the cultures... America might take some pride over being different from rest of the world with their football and NASCAR, but at least as far as racing it all comes down to different cultures. In Europe racing has always been somewhat elite, starting as a hobby for the wealthy in the early years of automobile and with factories being involved, and it has pretty much stayed that way at least on the top level with your super-sophisticated F1 cars that cost millions. It's all about racing itself, finding out who is best and fans can come and watch it if they want to but there's not that much effort to make racing easily accessible.

American racing, on the other hand, has always been more about entertainment and making a good show. You have your simple but spectacular oval tracks where you can fit thousands of people and they have a great sight of everything that goes on, coupled with ticket prices which are fraction of those in Europe, open pits where fans can see the teams and drivers and so on. And it's also very accessible for competitors, with your simple and relatively cheap stock cars, sprint cars, midgets and such, which means that your average Joe can get himself a car, start racing and make it all the way to the top. The concept of american dream still lives on.

The thing Hazardous said about that there are no real ladder systems in US motorsport got me thinking. This is OT so sorry for that.

How come that there is no real ladder system in any sport in the USA? Why are there lots of different organisations running their own leauges?

Icehockey in Sweden for example (this goes for almost every sport in Europe though). There's is the top leauge and at the end of the season e.g. the last two teams get in the highest leauge get demoted into the next highest leauge in the system and the two first teams in the next highest get promoted into the highest league and so on and so on.

Why is there no such thing in the US?

The thing Hazardous said about that there are no real ladder systems in US motorsport got me thinking. This is OT so sorry for that.

How come that there is no real ladder system in any sport in the USA? Why are there lots of different organisations running their own leauges?

Icehockey in Sweden for example (this goes for almost every sport in Europe though). There's is the top leauge and at the end of the season e.g. the last two teams get in the highest leauge get demoted into the next highest leauge in the system and the two first teams in the next highest get promoted into the highest league and so on and so on.

Why is there no such thing in the US?

Because only the top tier leagues are really national teams, whereas most are just local or regional. As for the "ball" sports, most of the pro teams recruit from college teams, which recruit from high school teams; makes a difference in the way things are run. The step system you mention would work for a state, or possibly a region, but not the whole US. No insult, but we have a few states that are larger than Sweden in land mass and population.

So things usually work out sorta like this:

Best players in the local area get picked to play county
Best players in the county get picked/hired/scholarships to play state
Best players in the state get picked/hired/whatever to play regional
Best players in regional get picked/hired/mongoosed to play national
Best players in nation get picked to play Proffessional.

As for the fix:

NASCAR's "constiuents" is becoming more the stereotype minivan and two kids type of people and less of the beer drinking and hell raising. And thanks the Frances (who I love and hate for what they do) these 'normal Americans' have also been drawn to another motorsport, Grand Am. While it's not as popular as NASCAR or F1, it's popularity is definately on the rise, and probably more so than any road racing series.

So, how to fix CART/IRL; they need to "get in bed" with the Frances. That kind of money and marketing is what they really need. Right now they're in competition with the France family (which some of the shit they pull makes me hate them, but I respect them for their support of the Grand Am series).

Sure you are much bigger and there a more people. Still don't see why a step system wouldnt work. The top leaugues in Europes are the only one national too. Then as you go further down in the system the more regional it gets.

I'm off to catch the CWS in Portland this weekend, so I'm excited about the series for this week!

I think alot of it has to do with the TV coverage CWS and Indy get. Compared to the 24/7 we get of NASCAR, and the relatively better race casts that NASCAR has, CWS and IRL have what to me seems like mediocre coverage. I know that "Well, if noone watches it, why spend money on covering it" thing. But if you want people to watch it aren't you gonna have to spend the money to improve the casts?

American racing, on the other hand, has always been more about entertainment and making a good show.
Fixed: American racing, on the other hand, has always been more about money.

No, let it die.
IRL=Honda racing league
Ha ha, true that ;)