Spied: 2008 Nissan GT-R

Well, according to wiki, the edo GT2 RS lapped the ring in 7:15. Now that has rear wheel drive (afaik) and no fancy japanese differentials, although the amount of torque it provides is quite impressive. Also, i bet the gtr's electronic systems are probably powered by something four times more powerful than playstation 3 (lets see if it will allow to run folding@home while on straight bits of road :DD ).
The EDO GT2 RS was purposly built for the job, beng stripped down completely and built to be a bare bone racer like the GT3 RSR, except it's got 200 hp more than the RSR. So that isn't a car to make a point with. I really doubt that the GTR will be much lighter than 1400 ~ 1500 kg too...

So 7:15 for the GTR still smells distinctively like bullshit... They might have mixed up seven minutes, fifty with seven minutes, fifteen (7:50 v 7:15) which sounds reasonable...

Last edited:
Well i agree. IIRC, the edo gt2 weighs about 1200kg, which isn't that little for a car with small halogen (or whatever) lights bolted to funny carbon fibre plates instead of proper headlamps.

Anyway, gtrs have this neat AWD & 4 steering wheels thing, and from what i happen to remember, one of the best differential setups ever, which gives them huge acceleration-out-of-a-corner advantage.

Anyway, you might remember the Prodrive something-1's improvement in lap time with the diffs on. And from what i see on the footage, the new gtr corners at what i'd call insane speeds without a hint of understeer or oversteer whatsoever. It looks like it goes on rails (yeah yeah i'm already sick of this cliche phrase too).

To conclude the post, i do not insist that 7:15 is the true lap time, but it is this car if any which has chances to get very close to it.

there is no way in hell that a GTR can lap nurburgring in only 7:15, thats just impossible no matter how insane those jap diffs are! and if its true, why dont they use those brains to take over the world or something:p...i think the fifteen and fifty mix up is a high possibility, and still a very good time but not as fast as i thought...i thought about 7 45, but thats a lot to expect, but it is the successor to the first production car to lap the ring in under 8 mins, so it has a lot to follow

also if it really had done a 7:15 you would of thought nissan would of been posting it everywhere saying how they're so much faster than a carrera/zonda/bugatti

Ford GT : Top lap time-N?rburgring Nordschleife (as indicated by Octane magazine, 11/05): 7:42 s
Well i believe a properly sorted but a bit underpowered car can at least beat this :think:

it wouldn't matter if the new gtr had 50hp, you'd still have the fanboi's out in force saying "LEIK IT RELIABLY CAN MAKE 15000000HP. BRO"

If you really give it the benifit of the doubt i'm willing to believe it will be slightly faster than the 997 Turbo, since that seems to be their performance benchmark. So maybe low 7.40's

Well i believe a properly sorted but a bit underpowered car can at least beat this :think:

A Z06 got a very similar time, that's probably a little more track oriented and has less power. I'd be impressed if the GTR could beat the Z06. But realistically, Nurburgring times being directly compared when the drivers are different doesn't make much sense. This is especially true on a track that's around 12 or 13 miles long.

I'm not sure why you'd expect a car with suspension setup by Lotus, 500bhp, active all-wheel-steering and active diffs/yaw-control/magic witchcraft to be as slow as an arse engined Porsche o_O

Disregarding the article's 7:15 claim and going on my own initiative since we all seem to be guessing here, i'll say 7:25, maybe less if the driver is a ring-meister and is properly twatting it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you'd expect a car with suspension setup by Lotus, 500bhp, active all-wheel-steering and active diffs/yaw-control/magic witchcraft to be as slow as an arse engined Porsche o_O

LEIK SKYLINES RELIABLY MAKE 50000HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111 BRO

Disregarding the article's 7:15 claim and going on my own initiative since we all seem to be guessing here, i'll say 7:25, maybe less if the driver is a ring-meister and is properly twatting it.
You don't get it do you? There is no way a rather heavy GTR is as fast as a stripped down race car purposely built for the job is, rear engined or not. However you shouldn't forget that the 911 has superior traction due to the rear engined layout and flat engine with a very low point of gravity. This is the key behind the 911s slingshot acelleration out of corners (There is a reason why the various racing versions of the 911s have dominated it's classes since it was introduced)

Porsches have been the ultimate rulers of the ring as long as they have existed, the Carrera GT has done a 7:28 with Walter R?hrl behind the wheel, and frankly it's just ridiculous claiming that a heavy 4wd car (no matter how advanced) is faster on a dry track than a light weight supercar, with perhaps the best sorted chassis in it's class with the most capable driver (for that car) imaginable behind the wheel.

I really don't think this will be faster than the Corvette Z06, as the GTR will almost certainly with all of that technology be heavier, and the 4wd drive train won't help it in the dry, and I don't think it will be able to mach the LS' monstrous torque which is essential on the uphill sections.

Like I stated earlier there must have been a mix up with seven minutes fifty being mistaken for seven minutes fifteen. Which is reasonable and respectable for such a car.

Well i agree. IIRC, the edo gt2 weighs about 1200kg, which isn't that little for a car with small halogen (or whatever) lights bolted to funny carbon fibre plates instead of proper headlamps.
That makes it only a 100 kg heavier than an FIA spec GT3 RSR, wich is reasonable considering the EDO GT2 has a turbocharged engine with then the extra weight from the turbochargers and all that goes with it and the reinforcements required for the drivetrain.

Last edited:
You don't get it do you? There is no way a rather heavy GTR is as fast as a stripped down race car purposely built for the job is, rear engined or not. However you shouldn't forget that the 911 has superior traction due to the rear engined layout and flat engine with a very low point of gravity. This is the key behind the 911s slingshot acelleration out of corners (There is a reason why the various racing versions of the 911s have dominated it's classes since it was introduced)

What 911 are you referring to? Even my guestimates still place the GT-R behind the Edo 911 by quite a way (going from the wiki time list) so we aren't contradicting each other there ("arse engined porsche" was refering to normal production road-going porsches it has been compared to, such as the turbo, someone compared them earlier in the thread)

4wd drive train won't help it in the dry

With a basic 4WD system I'd agree to an extent but a system like ATTESA-ETS-PRO and 4WS makes a difference to cornering. Otherwise a GTS-T would be just as fast and there would be no point in the GT-R.

Porsches have been the ultimate rulers of the ring as long as they have existed

Apart from when the previous gen GT-R set the record? Irrelevant though, both points.

the Carrera GT has done a 7:28 with Walter R?hrl behind the wheel, and frankly it's just ridiculous claiming that a heavy 4wd car (no matter how advanced) is faster on a dry track than a light weight supercar, with perhaps the best sorted chassis in it's class with the most capable driver (for that car) imaginable behind the wheel.

Comparing them, the Carrera GT has what, 132 more hp? (480vs612) I just think that, particularly on the Nordshleife (which is more road-like than other tracks) with its rough surface, bumps, odd cambers etc. that the extra things the GT-R has in its favour (i mentioned them earlier) are worth the 132hp difference. Particularly since the Carrera GT, as far as we've been informed by the motoring press is a very nervous/difficult car to drive fast, i can only imagine that becomes more exaggerated on a surface like the Nordschleifes. Add to that how religiously we know Nissan to take their Nordshleife testing. As for your point about the driver, i specified if a ringmesiter was driving it (thinking of someone like Dirk here that helped develop the previous GT-Rs or someone similar that knows the ring better than almost anyone).

I'd expect the Carrera GT to be faster than the GT-R on most other tracks. But that's not what we're talking about.

Last edited:
I think it's rather amusing that the Mitsubishi Evos, especially IX, are considered to be very fast yes, but also quite dull and boring because of all the clever suspension tehcnology and the witchcraft diffs and all that computing power. But just wait, when someone says "Skyline".....everyone takes a deep breath and go off to change their underwear.

I actually never liked Skyline, none of them just for that reason. They're just too boring. Everyone always bangs on about the germans cars lacking soul and everything. but the Skyline ? Blaaaah...

That said I do admire the fact that the previous things have been ridiculously fast on and off the track. But 7:15 on the ring ?? No way. Both sides have given very good points, one of the best being the Nordschleife's uneven and rough texture of the road. But I still do think that 7:15 is rubbish, if it is a bone stock car the time is referring to. I also stand by the fact that a normal, completely untouched production car with no tuning whatsoever can not beat a pure blue blooded racing machine built for the job at hand. 7:35-7:40 ? By all means yes, but 7:15 ? You have got to be kidding me.

^ I'm sure Walter Rohrl, now a test driver for Porsche, knows his way around the 'ring pretty well. He was said to be one of the best rally drivers and one of the people that knows the Nurburgring very well.
Nissan has been spending some time developing at the Nurburgring? The Carrera GT was most likely developed there as well, its a Porsche afterall.

I would bet anything in the world that the GTR won't be quicker than a Carrera GT.

Well either way i'm looking forward to seeing some official times for it to see how it does stack up :)

I agree with Brother Michaels points. I'm not a huge fan of the car. I admire it and it's acheivements. I'd have one in my dream 10 car garage but i'd take a more involving, interesting car to drive (like a Carrera GT, indeed) over one that's just built to be quick (GT-R).

I think it's rather amusing that the Mitsubishi Evos, especially IX, are considered to be very fast yes, but also quite dull and boring because of all the clever suspension tehcnology and the witchcraft diffs and all that computing power. But just wait, when someone says "Skyline".....everyone takes a deep breath and go off to change their underwear.
I believe it's more of a problem with the type of blokes who drive many (if not most) evos, not with the car itself. If it was driven by sensible saab or volvo -type of owners, it'd be on the supercool section.

Well i think this thread has outlived its usefulness, as we switched to random topics.

What 911 are you referring to? Even my guestimates still place the GT-R behind the Edo 911 by quite a way (going from the wiki time list) so we aren't contradicting each other there ("arse engined Porsche" was referring to normal production road-going porsches it has been compared to, such as the turbo, someone compared them earlier in the thread)
I was refering to the various racing versions of the 911 and the roadcars they are based on, like for instance the 997 GT3 /RS, which is known for being perhaps the best road car imaginable for the 'ring, as it has spent most of it's development time there. The 997 GT3 did 7:42 in the hands of Walter R?hrl. But the Turbo (usually a bit slower around there than the GT3) is known to be the benchmark for the GTR, so expect the time to be very similar. (ie. about 7:45 - 7:50)

With a basic 4WD system I'd agree to an extent but a system like ATTESA-ETS-PRO and 4WS makes a difference to cornering. Otherwise a GTS-T would be just as fast and there would be no point in the GT-R.
4wd does not aid lateral grip, it only aids propellant grip under acceleration.

Comparing them, the Carrera GT has what, 132 more hp? (480vs612) I just think that, particularly on the Nordshleife (which is more road-like than other tracks) with its rough surface, bumps, odd cambers etc. that the extra things the GT-R has in its favour (i mentioned them earlier) are worth the 132hp difference. Particularly since the Carrera GT, as far as we've been informed by the motoring press is a very nervous/difficult car to drive fast, i can only imagine that becomes more exaggerated on a surface like the Nordschleifes. Add to that how religiously we know Nissan to take their Nordshleife testing. As for your point about the driver, i specified if a ringmesiter was driving it (thinking of someone like Dirk here that helped develop the previous GT-Rs or someone similar that knows the ring better than almost anyone).

I'd expect the Carrera GT to be faster than the GT-R on most other tracks. But that's not what we're talking about.
Are you ignoring the fact that the Carrera GT and every other Porsche (RS and GT model particularly) was/are extensively developed on the 'ring? The GTR will most definately not be faster than the Carrera GT, on a dry track those 'extra things' won't make up the 132 hp difference, even less the weight difference.