Spied: 2008 Nissan GT-R

4wd does not aid lateral grip, it only aids propellant grip under acceleration.

The GT-Rs system incrases cornering speed for the same amount of lateral-grip with active 4 wheel steering and its diffs (powering the outside wheels more while cornering, for example, active yaw control or whatever it's specifically called in other cars).

Remember that the previous gen GT-Rs set their 7:40s-7:50s times (comparable to the GT3-RS you mentioned) with just 320hp, not a handicap the new car has.

Anyway, i'm not God and I don't know what the result of every variable will be. Such is the nature of speculation. We'll see. I'm not staking my house on what I say, I'm just weighing up what i know in my head.

Remember that the previous gen GT-Rs set their 7:40s-7:50s times (comparable to the GT3-RS you mentioned) with just 320hp, not a handicap the new car has.
7:59 is the fastest time i have for the previous generations GT-R, with reference, is 'Dirk Schoymans, Autocar magazine 1997' R-33 GT-R. (Taken from the Wiki list) There is a 7:54 there for the R-34 as well, but it's without any reference.

Anyway, I remember Fifth Gear had a comparison between the EVO FQ400 and the Noble M400, proving that no matter how much you load up a car with advanced technology, it's well beaten on a dry track by a properly set up lightweight rwd sportscar. So the rule established by Colin Chapman ("Add lightness") a long time ago is still true today.

7:15? :lmao:

7:50 would indeed be much more realistic.

In the videos, it seemed to be as fast as the new turbo so I guess it will be around 7:40~ 7:50

the only possible way for it to do a 7:15 would be if it were on a track tire. you have to look at it as far as the laws of adhesion will take it with that weight of a car. you're not going to see much faster then the carerra GT in the coming years till higher tech street tires are designed. the 4 wheel drive/awd system system in the GT-R may be increadable, but it's only as good as the tires it's on and their ability to handle the wight of the vehicle. I'd give it the 7:40 mark with the power to weight ratio and the 4wd ability, if lucky it might just edge out the 911 turbo/ gt3

Anyway, I remember Fifth Gear had a comparison between the EVO FQ400 and the Noble M400, proving that no matter how much you load up a car with advanced technology, it's well beaten on a dry track by a properly set up lightweight rwd sportscar. So the rule established by Colin Chapman ("Add lightness") a long time ago is still true today.

The Prodrive P2. The car that made Clarkson sick. Put a RWD car of the same power and weight, with equal amounts of effort put into them, and it would more than likely stop the RWD car.

NEW NEWS!! originally posted on carspyshots.net

EVO2.jpg

EVO310.jpg

GTR1.jpg

Translation said:
The standard GTR is expected to start at $57K while the V Spec and EVO Spec will start at $67K and $94K respectivly. Both a 6 speed and an advanced paddle shifting automatic are to be available. The Standard GTR and Spec V will be equiped with a 480HP version of the VQHRTT engine(displacement is either 3.7 or 3.8L as it has not yet beenn confirmed). The GTR EVO will receive a 530HP version of the VQHRTT engine as well as being roughly 220lbs lighter then the standard GTR, coming with light weight seats, a larger more aerodynamic rear spoiler, large ceramic brake rotors, and a revised Atessa AWD geared for more track use.

Dunno, those images don't look too bad to me. Hope to god it's all true!

That thing is hideous.

i agree, it looks like they stopped trying to make all the seems fit properly and just said "looks better with all the panels hanging off!!!" which it definatly doesn't.....

i think i looks 10 times better with the camo on it..... i wouldn't pay anything close to that kind of money for it when i can buy a honda civic and cut holes in it for free.....

and i think i'm a fairly open minded person......

I am not sure who came up with those pictures.

But I think they are pure Bull Shit. Looks nothing like the prototype cars that are running around..

*sigh* if you read the translation, the one with the wild body panels is OBVIOUSLY meant to be the EVO version

considering the power and track tune of the EVO version, that may even explain the 7:15 lap time...

Last edited:
The camo version in the spy shots looks excellent, very clean look. In these shots, it's all of a sudden rice up quite a bit. Which is a shame.

I think it looks awesome, and quintessentially Japanese.

It is quite an ugly vehicle from those pics, to be honest the back (even on the standard one) screams overdone. Even IF it is quicker than a 911 Turbo i'd still take the Porsche, it just looks so much better IMO, something easier on the eyes than the GTR. The front of the GTR looks ok, the rear is just hideous, especially that huge wing on the back.

Apparently the sub 8 min Skyline GTR R33 had full slicks, non standard boost, chipped computer, and limiters removed.

The best you could expect from a GTR around the ring would be 8min 28.1 sec.

AUTOCAR NURBURGRING ARTICLE

The Caterham's rear tyres howl in protest as I stroke its nose deftly through the Nurburgring's final corner. The crowd rises to its feet and a sea of Union Jacks are waved as I cross the line in record time. Then, through the mayhem, someone hands me a huge white telephone, ringing out above the cacophony...

Monday, 4.50am: the bedside alarm rudely terminates my dream and I remember that there's a new Porsche 911 parked outside. My aim today is to cross the Channel and drive to the Nordschleife in Germany to meet the men from Caterham, as well as a legend called Stefan and his extraordinary "Yellow Bird" Ruf Porsche.

Our goal could scarcely be more simple. We want to break the production car lap record for the famous old 12.95-mile Nurburgring. Currently it stands at 7min 59sec, set by a Nissan Skyline GTR in 1995. But given that the Skyline set the time during its development stage and was free of the speed limiter that prevents UK versions from doing more than 156mph, we can no longer count it as the true production car record holder. Especially as it's far from clear how much turbo boost the GTR was running during the lap, or how much tweaking the rear-wheel steer system had undergone.

So for these reasons and more, the standard production car lap record will no longer belong to the Skyline after this event; it will instead hold the record for a modified road car. Unless, of course, the unchipped, unfettled GTR that colleague Allan Muir is due to arrive in tomorrow can match, or perhaps better, that 7min 59sec time...

Caterham Superlight R: 8min 6.2sec
Ruf CTR II: 8min 15.0sec
Nissan Skyline GTR: 8min 28.1 sec
Porsche 911 Carrera: 8min 38.4sec

Thanks to Bridgestone for all its tyres

Article written by Stephen Sutcliffe.

From Autocar 17th December 1997.
http://www.caterham.force9.co.uk/ring.htm

You can't talk about Porsche then complain about other manufacturers using big wings, whales could prepare a legal case against them for copyright infringement.

The thing is the GT-R has always had an "alternate" beauty; it doesn't try to look curvy and swooping like an Italian car or restrained like a German or classy like a Brit. It's always looked like it's purely about the purpose and what's underneath and in its own way that's a great look. I think the R34 has more in common regarding its styling influences with old yank muscle cars than anything, for example.

it does look really good, i've always liked the Nissan GT-Rs, especially the round rear lights. if it stays like that for production i will be very happy

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I can't wait for the official release.