vanMould

Car(s)
Volvo 480ES -88
saab9-3-0.jpg

saab9-3-1.jpg

"Proof that the new Saab has AWD: driveshafts to the rear wheels."
saab9-3-3.jpg

5883saab9-32.jpg

I've got to say, the first impression is bloody striking and just magnificent. This is just the aggressive look the 9-3 needed. The latest incarnation of the 9-5 was a little divisive (to say the least!) but so far, every reaction to this image that I've read has been totally positive.

The Aero-X influence is unmissable and beautifully applied to the car. Not only does the rounded pressing on the hood give the headlamps some aggressive eyebrows, it is also reminiscent of the old clamshell hoods of Saabs past (Vector 220 points oout in comment that it may actually be a clamshell and looking closely - he may well be right).

The photo above shows some blue/green accents to the headlamps, which give the impression of some Aero-Xism as well, with that channel running at the bottom of the main bulb in toward the grille. One thing I like about the lamps is that they seem to extend further around the side and appear to be rounded off, almost like the pre-MCE 9-5.

There's a fair bit of blacking out going on in the front there, and I'm not sure that this front end is the one we'll see on the production model, other than the hood, of course. I was expecting a more Aero-X style grille. Somewhat deeper than what's pictured here, though this is definitely deeper than the current 9-3 grille, so maybe......

I've also heard on the grapevine that some LED daytime driving lamps might be integrated along te top of the regular headlamps. I can't see any evidence of that here.

A few people in comments have mentioned that the door handles looked pretty similar to the Cadillac BLS door handles. This is true, but if they give me that front end and some performance characteristics that do it justice, then I won't mind in the least.

My first impression is pure automotive lust. I can't wait to see an Aero version of this car. It's going to be absolutely awesome.

Source of text and pictures:
http://www.trollhattansaab.net/archives/93_ss_my2008/

Last edited:
hey that looks pretty nice

if the AWD thing turns out to be real, then it's gonna be the first saab ever to be able to plant all its turbo power onto the road properly

great~

Last edited:
The front looks nice - very individual and Saab-ish :) But the rear of the estate is ugly!

...could this be Saab, one of my favorite car makers getting their act together at long last? I hope so. They've always been wonderous cars in my eyes, their aviation-styling, bizzare little gadgets and maddness. Like fitting a car destined for Australia with a snow scoop. Having masses of power at the front wheels. My Aunt's Saab 900 has to be one of my favorite cars in our family. Just for being so different to their contemporaries, I love them.

All-wheel drive makes sense, greater traction in icy conditions, and greater abillity to put down their power, particularly in the Aero models. But it'll mean the end of the handling that was described as "...just hysterical. It's like driving a -fast- bouncy castle". Oh well :p

"...just hysterical. It's like driving a -fast- bouncy castle".

:lol: Wasn't that about the 9000 Aero? As flawed as it was, i still remember my bouncy castle as a fun quirly car. If it wasn't crash damaged by the PO I would have probably kept. How many big sedans can hit 300hp with just a chip and exhaust? Sweet.

Still, Saabs without FWD?!?! Is it really a Saab anymore? :blink:

That's what Clarkson said about the 9-5 Hot Aero. They raced it against a Sea Harrier.

As for FWD getting the boot, I know! Has Saab sold it's soul so their cars can put the power down, or has some clever boffin worked out that mincing tyres at every slight bend isn't a good look? I think what we may have there is Saab, famous long ago for it's Rally cars, reading about this Audi "Quattro", and how it has revolutionised Rallying :p...
I know America got a rebadged Subaru WRX for a while as a 9-2X, maybe they've ninja'd Subaru's AWD system? In any case, look at it this way: Saab picking up AWD may mean a return to the rally circuit!

Hard to tell, when is GM moving SAAB production to Germany?

There are no more SAABARU's with GM selling their stake in Subaru.

There should be some Toyobaru's in the future for sure. :)

Last edited:
We might end up with a not boring Corrolla if that happens! It might hurt the sales!

I'm not really diggin those tail lights but the rest of the car is fairly good looking in my opinion.

The front is way too busy and the back end is just ugly because of those taillights.

I prefer the sedan.

The front's borderline - it's okayish on the sedan, but the extra bright-work around the fog lights on the hatch pushes it over the edge. Not digging those taillights either.

I like it. The taillights and the hood I would change a bit, but other than that it looks good to me.

Yah, loose those "Look what I got from SuperCheap Auto/Halford's" tail lights and that... bizzare 3 part grille, and I think there's something quite promising there. A bit more sculpting of the bonnet( Mazda6 MPS sorta thing) wouldn't go astray either, I couldn't help but think "washing machine".

Otherwise, a very cool, sleek machine by any standard there. I think the XJ may have some competition as my favorite luxury barge now :p

Saab has been really kicking ass in the styling department these past 5 or so years. And the driving ain't to bad either. Last time I drove a 9-3 I couldn't believe it was in some ways the same engine and chassis as a Chevy Cavalier. Saab is one of the many reasons I tend to wonder how GM could make cars so shitty when the stuff they have can be nice.

Why won't Saab build a damn RWD or AWD car (and not a rebadged Subaru or GMC truck).

Those tail lights I think are actually decent looking. The black strip that splits them up give the car an interesting look. I wonder though, if they changed 'em a bit so they didn't quite look like they came from APC.

Why won't Saab build a damn RWD or AWD car (and not a rebadged Subaru or GMC truck).
Think of Saab like the swedish equivalent of Citro?n. FWD is simply part of their tradition and shouldn't really be negotiable. Although if you read the first post, you'll see that the new 9-3 will most probably have an AWD option.

One of Saab's big drawcards has been, since time immemorial, their safety. For a long time, FWD had been considered the safest possible power delivery(won't spin/tail out anywhere near as easily as RWD), and cheaper to build and engineer than AWD. This hasn't really been a problem until quite recently, when the powerplants, especially those built for Saab by Holden (home team plug there :p) started to exeed the limits for FWD power delivery. Saab's people bay be very good, but there's only so much you can do with a parts bin filled with Vectra and Saab 9000 bits.

Incidentally, I've also heard a few complaints from the Australian motoring press about the ride quality in current Saabs not being satisfactory on Australian roads, especially on larger wheeled examples. Anyone who owns/has owned a Saab of recent years care to comment on that?