What Kind Of Engine Does Your Car Have?

What Kind Of Engine Does Your Car Have?

• Total voters
I'm surprised by the amount of V12's we have. As for the flat four, my understanding was it an I4 rotated 90deg so it's lying on it's front, my mates had that arrangement. where's as old VW's, subaru's and porches are boxer type.

we also have someone with a W16 :rolleyes
it's easy to select an option

I4 here... but it's as smooth as a lot of V6's I've driven.

Does anyone have any advantages / disadvantages of each type of engine design? It'd be cool to read why some companies favour a V6 and others a straight 6.

all the info you need
http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth1.htm

full index (a lot more info than you actually need)
http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/tech_index.html

I have understood that in general V-engines tend to have more torque than equivalent inline engines. Of course you can't compare engines like that, but I have read so many car reviews saying that V-engines are really torquey.

A couple of my teachers said the exact opposite. Many truck engines (not pick-ups) here in the US are using Inline-6's. The reason I've been told is because of both a natural balance of the engine, which is why many old cars ran I-6's, and the long heavy crank helped torque.

4.3L V6 Turbo...

Smooth?...no, reliable?...no, fun?...when it works.

GMC Sy/Ty?

http://img122.imageshack.**/img122/2308/bigboreshortblockxy9.jpg

other, 12v VR6.

Hmmm I see an option for V6.

Ford's 1.6 I4. Great engine :)

And I think No Boss is right, the VR6 isn't <i>exactly</i> a V6 engine, it seems to be a hybrid between V6 and I6 configurations. In fact, Wikipedia defines it as "staggered-bank in-line six".

Many truck engines (not pick-ups) here in the US are using Inline-6's. The reason I've been told is because of both a natural balance of the engine, which is why many old cars ran I-6's, and the long heavy crank helped torque.

realy? most over here have V8s :D

compared to V6, I6s are a lot cheaper, lighter and drain less energy, since you only need 1 cam

basically most will try to use an I6, but if engine compartement gets to small, they'll change to V6

Depends on the fuel source. Trucks here generally have V8's or V10's if running on gas, I6's if running on diesel. There has been a push for diesel V8's though.

http://img122.imageshack.**/img122/2308/bigboreshortblockxy9.jpg

other, 12v VR6.

I would call that a "W6" personally. And Porsche isn't the only one making a Flat-6. Subaru Outbacks and the wonky SVX come with 3.0L H6/Flat-6 setups.

Me? I have the best V6 in the world. The Nissan Motors VQ35DE 3.5L V6 :D
I've driven my dad's FD3S with the wonderfully different Wankel 13B twin turbo.

a powertrain engineer at Chrysler once told me the only 2 naturally balanced engines to have perfect 3rd and 4th order harmonics was the 90deg V8 and the Inline-6.

Hmmm I see an option for V6.

I'd hate to be one of your teachers if you write a "V" like that.

And I think No Boss is right, the VR6 isn't <i>exactly</i> a V6 engine, it seems to be a hybrid between V6 and I6 configurations. In fact, Wikipedia defines it as "staggered-bank in-line six".

Exactly, Each piston is separated by 15 degrees. As opposed to the more common 90 and 45 degree versions. I agree, you could technically say it is a "V6" (I'm not trying to be a dick looking for special attention). But when you've been inside one and worked on it, you see it's reall not.

I would call that a "W6" personally.

It looks like a "W" from that angle, but that's not the angle upon which they base the nomenclature. The look at it from the side, otherwise, yeah, from the top it looks like a "W".

I'm talking about the Big trucks. The turbo diesel haulers, the brits refer to them as Lorries.

My dad has an 850 CI ( 13.7 liter) turbo diesel Inline 6 in his truck.

compared to V6, I6s are a lot cheaper, lighter and drain less energy, since you only need 1 cam

basically most will try to use an I6, but if engine compartement gets to small, they'll change to V6

I'm gonna have to argue otherwise on the "lighter" as many I-6's require extra weight to keep them torsionally rigid. This is why the I-6 died out in favor of small (and big) v8 engines. They weighed as much as the 6's but could handle more cubes and more power. I've heard the RB26Det and 2jz-GTE engines are nearly as heavy as a big block chevy which goes well into the 9 liter displacement category.

V6's are far easier to package, especially if you use a smaller push rod design.

BTW, someone made a comment earlier about I6's being better for revs or something. Back when BMW built the first M3, part of their reasoning for using the I4 instead of the I6 was because they couldn't build a crank at the time to hold up to the high revs to make the power.

Long cranks have strength issues. This is one of many reasons why straight-8's and now straight-6's have fallen out of favor. The only real benefit to an I-6 is their smoothness and natural balance.

I'd hate to be one of your teachers if you write a "V" like that.

Exactly, Each piston is separated by 15 degrees. As opposed to the more common 90 and 45 degree versions. I agree, you could technically say it is a "V6" (I'm not trying to be a dick looking for special attention). But when you've been inside one and worked on it, you see it's reall not.

That angle makes it a V. Though I know even the "dohc" version has the same number of cams the "sohc" version has. One could argue it's an I-6 because it has a single head, but we could go back and forth for decades on this.

It's got a V angle, it's a V6 IMO. And you know what they say about opinions...

Last edited:
That angle makes it a V. Though I know even the "dohc" version has the same number of cams the "sohc" version has. One could argue it's an I-6 because it has a single head, but we could go back and forth for decades on this.

It's got a V angle, it's a V6 IMO. And you know what they say about opinions...

I'm not arguing that it's got a "V" angle, becuase it does (it's got a sodding "V" in the name). But it's the layout of the engine that makes it different than a traditional V6. The staggered alignment of cylinders, the head as you mentioned, but also the airflow direction.

I am quite surprised to see the amount of the little four-bangers here, I would have thought V6's would be more popular....

Also, who has the W16?! Post your address here, so we can steal your Veyron and let the Stig drive it around the track! :mrgreen:

I am quite surprised to see the amount of the little four-bangers here, I would have thought V6's would be more popular....

Maybe in the states, but here in yrup I4's are much more common than V6's. (well, don't have any facts about it but that's what I think)

Also, who has the W16?! Post your address here, so we can steal your Veyron and let the Stig drive it around the track! :mrgreen:

It was don vito having a laugh, check up about 10 posts :p

So not a temp any more :p

:lol:

Bastard. I'm surprised you noticed that!

Me and my dad were boring.. I mean, borrowing it from my aunt, and since it's taking ages to find a suitable replacement for our Jag (we sold it back in feb) we just bought it off her as a banger.

SO YES.. that means I get to be seen in a Bluebird for a whole lot longer..

Just don't tell anyone. EVER. Or you'll find a steak knife through in your eye socket!

I'm not arguing that it's got a "V" angle, becuase it does (it's got a sodding "V" in the name). But it's the layout of the engine that makes it different than a traditional V6. The staggered alignment of cylinders, the head as you mentioned, but also the airflow direction.

How do you think the V-4s were set up? Something like 10~15 degrees, looks almost like an I-4 except for the cylinders not lining up just right. By your arguments, the V-4s aren't V-4s. It doesn't matter how the cylinders are 'staggered' as that's just the company's preferance (and really there's not much else other way to build something like that unless you want the engine as big as a I-6 which isn't going to work in a Golf...). Besides, there are "traditional" V6s that have the cylinders staggered, despite their higher angles of seperation. It's either an I, V, or a complication of one or the other; anything beyond that is just the company's PR department trying to make it sound pretty so you'll buy it.

And we now have two W-16 goobers...