GTR3 setup help

awdrifter

I completed all the Driving School missions except the final two full lap time attack at SpaFrancorchamp with the Gillet Vertigo. I can keep up with the AI car for the first parts of the lap, it's the last section that I'm having problem with. I already dumped all but 5L of fuel, lowered the downforce, and closed all the ducks to minimal. Here's my setup, any help would be appreciated.
http://img520.imageshack.**/img520/636/10003172lp9.jpg

Here's a video of one of my laps, I'm using gamepad, so the steering is not so precise. In that lap I was about .7 seconds behind. Thanks.
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=9FbSyz7ZUhw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Oops, didn't even notice that. I tried to edit it, but apparently I can't edit the title.

Looks like you are trying to drift the car through everywhere, as it's way sideways on each corner entry :lol:

You lose a lot of momentum on those slides and as the ghost car is the same as yours you'll never gain it back. Try a smoother line with minimal sideways action and maintain high speed through the corner entry.

Setup wise, to stop the car sliding on the corner entry try moving the brake balance further forward and losening the front anti-roll bar and/or stiffening the rear anti-roll bar.

Thanks for the input, keep in mind that I use a PS2 style controller, so it's nearly impossible to make smooth steering imputs. I don't really purposely swing the car, it's just that I built a lot of natural oversteer into the setup. Here's my new setup, with this setup I completed the first full lap challege, I was about .3 seconds behind the AI car, now any suggestion on how can I get more straight line speed out of this thing? As long as I don't get pulled on the final section's kinda straights, I think I can beat the AI car. Thanks.

http://img67.imageshack.**/img67/4941/10003172im8.jpg

Last edited:
There's very little you can do for speed, pretty much only gearing and aero settings. Raising tyre pressures could be another trick (to reduce rolling resistance) but the effect that has is quite minor and it reduces overall grip.

Having no specific experience from GTR2 I can't say how much the aerodynamics affect your top speed, but I'd say your best bet is to still concentrate on the corners that lead to those straights. The cars have same power so you can't gain much once you are on the straightaway and on full throttle, but if you gain 5kph on the corner exit you'll carry it all the way to the next braking.

Also, if you use digital controls try adjusting the steering to have a bit of gradual rate in it. So that the steering does not go to full lock in the instant you press the button.

I use the analog sticks, the sensitivity is already at 30%, deadzone at 5%, any lower it'll probably not make full lock. I haven't mess with tire pressure much, so maybe I'll give that a try. Aero wise I guess I can still lower the rear downforce by another 2, hopefully that'll give the .3 seconds I need.

I was trying to tweak the car tonight, but I ended up keeping the setup that I posted in the last post. I finished beat the AI car to the finish line (just barely). Buy anyways, thanks for the link.

What's that? Isn't MoTeC just an standalone ecu? Do you mean we can even tune the car's a/f and timing in this game? Sorry, I'm noob at this game.