Howard accused of genocide

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
Prime Minister John Howard has been accused of genocide at a function to mark the 40th anniversary of the referendum that handed indigenous Australians the right to be counted in the Census.

Mr Howard told the gathering of about 400 people, which included original referendum campaigners, the way to true reconciliation was through shared responsibility and so-called practical reconciliation.

But the crowd disagreed.

At the end of Mr Howard's speech a middle-age indigenous woman stood and shouted at Mr Howard.

"We have been genocided (sic) by your government and your court," the unidentified woman said

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=269376

The only reason aboriginals want the government to say sorry is so that they can sue them saying its an admission of guilt. Of course labour show up and do their usual popularist bullshit saying they'll say "sorry"

Hidden_Hunter tries to remember what genocide took place by the howard government... hmm
I can't seem to find any

i wont open a can of worms, cause i have my opinions and so do others, but i will anyways
howard is on the money with not saying sorry, aborginals want everything and why should they get it, goverment handouts, housing, education all free, yet they still walk up to you asking for a buck. yet us immigrants and australias who are well off and not so have to work hard to support these lazy, ungrateful people.

for me to get a goverment youth allowance i have to jump hoops and i am denided for the fact my parents make to much. yet the aborginal get everything /rant

why should howard apolgies for somthing he didnt do.

appolgies if i disrespected anyones view, not in a good mood

What ever has happened in the past has happened, and we should move on and try and work together with Aboriginal groups to improve their living conditions and life expectancy. If the Government says Sorry, then that opens the flood gates to numerous court cases that will cost us tax payers millions.

I see no reason why Howard should say sorry. Not his fault.

Indigenous week is merely a scam to alleviate our apparent guilt and acknowledge the Aboriginals who are still here and at the same time kid them into believing we actually care and are making a difference. We dont and we arent.

I wonder if they've ever heard the saying don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Personally I don't agree with aboriginals getting ANYTHING aditional to non aboriginals, that's racism to but its in their favour so they're not complaining

I don't see any issue with the Australian government formally apologizing (if they haven't already) for past wrongs.

I don't think it's necessary, and not really a big deal. But that makes opposing it seem kind of ridiculous. The same can be said about the United States and apologizing for slavery.

*Edit*

I see no reason why Howard should say sorry. Not his fault.

Is it Howard that is being asked to personally apologize, or just on behalf of the government?

Is it Howard that is being asked to personally apologize, or just on behalf of the government?

On behalf of all Australians I think.

Personally I don't agree with aboriginals getting ANYTHING aditional to non aboriginals, that's racism to but its in their favour so they're not complaining

It really pisses me off when I see aboriginals (mainly people with "1/8th aboriginal blood" so then can claim they are part aboriginal) sitting in alcohol-free zones, drinking to their hearts content, waiting for a taxi to take them home, and the cops can do nothing about it. But if we non-aboriginals did the exact same thing we would have been hauled off to the nearest cop shop, fined, and most then probably have a date with the court.

We've got a "gang of 49" mainly Aboriginals here in Adelaide who keep getting arrested and let back out into the community who re-offend again, including one caught 3 times in one night!! They've broken into numerous shops, had an awful lot of high-speed chases (9/10 ending in a crash) and one even ended when an innocent motorist was hit and killed by a 19 year old.

The government is too scared to do anything because of their race.

We've got a "gang of 49" mainly Aboriginals here in Adelaide who keep getting arrested and let back out into the community who re-offend again, including one caught 3 times in one night!! They've broken into numerous shops, had an awful lot of high-speed chases (9/10 ending in a crash) and one even ended when an innocent motorist was hit and killed by a 19 year old.

The government is too scared to do anything because of their race.

That (and what Sarnya mentioned) is probably another issue in itself. Are we doing enough to give these Aboriginals the proper education they need to avoid those sorts of situations? We can keep throwing them in prison and letting them out again, but they'll never learn anything and it just costs us money. I'd rather see my taxpayer dollars go towards some sort of re-education initiative.

However, there should be no double standards. If you're of indigenous background and you break the law, you should be subjected to the same penalties as anyone else.

I'm going to have look into this more closely. It's absurd to take race into account when dealing with criminality. It's actually surprising as well, I've always thought class was more of an issue (in other countries at least).

I'm going to have look into this more closely. It's absurd to take race into account when dealing with criminality. It's actually surprising as well, I've always thought class was more of an issue (in other countries at least).

Basically when the police confront an aborginal, the aboriginal will comment about how they will make trouble for the police officer, so he'll leave him alone.
or if an aborginal is making a fuss instead of charging him, with an applicable effence, they'll chuck him in the back and drop him off out of the city or where ever he wants.

Last edited:
I don't see any issue with the Australian government formally apologizing (if they haven't already) for past wrongs.

As I said before it's not so they feel good about an apology, it's so they can profit off it

Now my comment is based on zero understanding of how our poli's write legislation etc..

But can't they just legislate they cant be sued etc and apologies so we can get on with more important matters..

A very simplistic view to a complex issue... :|

Not really. Its a very complex process for any government to pass legislation. It has to be accepted by various parties (upper and lower houses I think, dont quote me on this) and ultimately signed off by the Governor General. If any of those parties reject the legislation, it has to be either redrafted or binned.

Personally I think that aborigines should be subject to the same laws and standards that apply to non aborigines, after all the referendum was held to bridge the gap between aboriginals and non aboriginals, not to set aborigines as the dominant race.