2007 Monaco Grand Prix

This could be it..my PR assignment could be falling into my lap here! I gotta write a report on an issue and discuss PR aspects. I've wanted to do my report on F1, but nothing really newsworthy has happened in the past couple of weeks. Cmon, lets have some controversy!

Still, what a storm in a teacup. Its clear that the general consensus after the race is that it was boring as batshit, so obviously they're just trying to keep the sport in the news. I can't see how they can penalise McLaren. Unless the team specifically told Hamilton and Alonso during the race "hold station, dont pass each other", then there's nothing they can do.

This could be it..my PR assignment could be falling into my lap here! I gotta write a report on an issue and discuss PR aspects. I've wanted to do my report on F1, but nothing really newsworthy has happened in the past couple of weeks. Cmon, lets have some controversy!

Still, what a storm in a teacup. Its clear that the general consensus after the race is that it was boring as batshit, so obviously they're just trying to keep the sport in the news. I can't see how they can penalise McLaren. Unless the team specifically told Hamilton and Alonso during the race "hold station, dont pass each other", then there's nothing they can do.

guano is mighty entertaining....just watch Ace ventura 2 !

Deja Vu Monaco Car Park Schumi style! :)

Deja Vu Monaco Car Park Schumi style! :)

Classic Double Car park Monaco Style! :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdK_VJrFq-Y[/YOUTUBE]

Even if they did give orders, so what. They are a team. Did they want Alonso and Hamilton to start fighting each other for position and risk fucking up?

look what I found in racing-underground.com :lol:
514662064_5cb29a1c07.jpg

Possibly the most Boringest race ever, even by modern F1 standards.
Oh well, both the WTCC and BTCC are on next weekend, should actually provide some entertainment.

McLarens destroy field, Ralf driving around aimlessly for a paycheck (I hope he gets fired before the end of the season), good drives from Alex Wurz and Scott Speed (18th to 9th, unfortunately for him, no points reward), Raikkonen should have started higher but, none the less, finished the race. Not a very good GP by Monaco's standards, in terms of racing.

Ralf needs to be fired right now!!

"Ferrari Parking" :lol:

I laughed real hard when Kimi did that...especially because it was actually a mechanical failure a driving error.

EDIT: correction

Last edited:
As boring as the race was it is still the best track on the F1 calendar. I had a walk around the track route when it was a public road in winter and yes, those corners are as tight as you think they are.

I say best track, not best race. I like some hardcore pushing and overtaking, not just, essentially, a procession.

Possibly the most Boringest race ever, even by modern F1 standards.
Oh well, both the WTCC and BTCC are on next weekend, should actually provide some entertainment.

A really boring race, I fell asleep halfway through, though it was pretty late in Australia.

Why are you all whingeing about the Grand Prix? It's Monaco, It only comes alive when it rains and we all know that. What did you all expect? Lots of overtaking??

Monaco is one of the best tracks in the world and it belongs in Formula 1. Nothing we say will change that.

Next race is Montreal, that should be a crash fest.

I thought the race was pretty dull, but Monaco is still a great track. Very disappointed Webber had more mechanical problems with his car, RBR really need to sort these problems out quick smart.

Really good drive by Scott Speed to go from 18th to finish 9th, it's a shame is didn't get into the top 8 to score some point/s he deserved it.

Disappointed McLaren didn't let Hamilton go after Alonso, I believe if they had, Hamilton would've passed Alonso, he was driving alot more aggresively then Alonso and was quicker. I don't think anything will happen with the FAI investigation, there will be no evidence, even though we all know the team gave the drivers the orders...somehow.

At the last stages of the race where Hamilton was behind Alonso, he was really pushing and came close to crashing. I guess the team told him to back off, so they can get a 1-2 and max constructors points.

Here's the little mans view.

Bernie: McLaren could be hit hard

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has waded into the McLaren team-order controversy by claiming that the team could face some of the most draconian penalties the sport has seen if found guilty of breaching the sporting regulations.

The FIA launched an investigation into McLaren's 1-2 finish in Monaco after team principal Ron Dennis publicly stated that he had instructed his drivers to control their pace early in the race, prompting suggestions in the British media that Lewis Hamilton was prevented from challenging Fernando Alonso for victory.

And Ecclestone has warned that McLaren might face a ban or even exclusion from the championship if the FIA can prove it has breached article 151c of the sporting code.

"I don't know what the team orders are or were," he told the Daily Mail newspaper.

"One thing is for sure: If there were team orders which relate to the position of the two drivers ? if somebody is told to move over or hold their position ? it is against all the sporting regulations we have.

"If there were orders, they would be getting off lightly if they get the same sort of fine as Ferrari [whose drivers were jointly fined $US1 m for fixing the 2002 Austrian GP result].

?They could be excluded from the championship or they could have points deducted.

"A fine for McLaren, with its money, would not have the same effect as docking points."

Ecclestone added that the severity of any punishment would have to be measured against other penalties meted out by the FIA.

He used as an example the Turkish Grand Prix organisers? $US5m fine for compromising F1?s political neutrality with its controversial podium ceremony after last year?s race at Istanbul.

"This would be breaking the regulations," he said. "It's more serious and that should be reflected."

Ecclestone also hinted that any exclusion may be levied at the team only, adding that the drivers should not be punished ? leading to speculation that should McLaren be found guilty it would be docked constructors' championship points or excluded from competing in it.

"If there were instructions, it wouldn't be the drivers' fault," he said.

"If I'm driving for you and you tell me to stay where I am and not overtake the guy in front, what can I do?

"It would be those who give the orders who should receive the punishment."

McLaren issued a statement on Tuesday saying that it was confident it has not breached the regulations.

"McLaren are completely comfortable with the FIA's investigation into our race strategy and that all decisions taken both before and during the race were completely in compliance with the international sporting code," it read.

Source

^ Bernie, STFU. There's a world of difference between Ferrari's antics (where the faster driver is told to slow down and let the other past), and what McLaren did (the drivers are told to ease off after showing what they're both capable of and establishing their speed relative to each other). Hamilton was quick, yes, but at no point did he show he had the pace to catch and pass Alonso, who had him covered. Martin Brundle got it right (as always) with his summation of Alonso's quick laps - he made his point that he had Hamilton covered, at that point why risk throwing away the result, when they clearly had the measure of the field.

I call sour grapes.

Last edited:
^ And Hamilton was driving at the limit and looked like he was going to lose it a few times. Why risk a 1-2 by letting Hamilton challenge Alonso when it's not essential for Hamilton to win so soon.

^ And Hamilton was driving at the limit and looked like he was going to lose it a few times. Why risk a 1-2 by letting Hamilton challenge Alonso when it's not essential for Hamilton to win so soon.

Alonso was on the ragged edge at times too. It's not so much a question of denying Hamilton his first win - imho if the running order had been reversed the call to hold position would still have come. And if that had been the case - my tip is that some of the people who are now saying Hamilton was denied a chance of a win, would instead be having a whinge about Hamilton being allowed to win easily. Some people (particularly in the media) are never happy.

Speaking of the media, everyone's having their say:

Bernie says Boooo!!
Stewart gives two Scottish thumbs-up
Hill says McLaren, like, suck, man (But who cares about Hill's opinion)
Mansell's eyebrows approve

Oooh the drama!

Last edited: