Top Gear 'paves' the way for roadworks.

I can imagine someone, with a megaphone, shouting 1984-esque speeches.

"Our resurfacing work will last for A THOUSAND YEARS!"

And, finally, a government member AGREES with Top Gear, instead of moaning about "how they cause global warming, clog the air, inspire reckless driving, etc... "

Well, taking 24 hours instead of a whole week is sure very good, but what we didn't see in TG segment is the quality of the road surface & tormac, after that olympic rush.

Well, taking 24 hours instead of a whole week is sure very good, but what we didn't see in TG segment is the quality of the road surface & tormac, after that olympic rush.

can't be any worse than the half arsed crap in my area and that takes months to go a few meters.

And, finally, a government member AGREES with Top Gear, instead of moaning about "how they cause global warming, clog the air, inspire reckless driving, etc... "
With a poster of Jeremy with the megaphone and "Big Jezza sees you!" + "Work sets you free underneath".

Someone needs to photoshop that up for us!

I think it was a nazi reference because in one of hitlers speechs he claimed that there cities would last for 1000 years or something like that (he also made a fanbelt reference in another episode)

I think it was a nazi reference because in one of hitlers speechs he claimed that there cities would last for 1000 years or something like that (he also made a fanbelt reference in another episode)

No, that his Third Reich would last 1000 years. Yeah, kind of got that one a bit wrong.

You can't rush putting down tarmac. They were doing it at normal speed. The reason why it takes normal roadworks so long to finish is exactly what they said in that epi: the materials needed for making the actual road don't come in quickly enough.

You can't rush putting down tarmac. They were doing it at normal speed. The reason why it takes normal roadworks so long to finish is exactly what they said in that epi: the materials needed for making the actual road don't come in quickly enough.

is that why they only work on the road for 8 hours a day? while in most factories, they work 24h non stop?

they should introduce shifts for roadworkers.

can't be any worse than the half arsed crap in my area and that takes months to go a few meters.

where i live... they do all major road works during the night! leaving the roads free to drive on during the day.

they get huge sections done as well. shame it needs redoing about 6month later.

is that why they only work on the road for 8 hours a day? while in most factories, they work 24h non stop?

they should introduce shifts for roadworkers.

No idea why they don't do nightshifts on roadworks. Prolly because it's a government funded thing, and not a private corporation.

No idea why they don't do nightshifts on roadworks.

in residential areas, they don't do nightshifts because of one simple thing: noise

on motorways and the like, they work exclusively at night because of the extra safety it gives to workers (less traffic) and any delivery trucks create less disruption.

No idea why they don't do nightshifts on roadworks.

in residential areas, they don't do nightshifts because of one simple thing: noise

on motorways and the like, they work exclusively at night because of the extra safety it gives to workers (less traffic) and any delivery trucks create less disruption.

I would rather have a couple noisy nights than super congested traffic.

Seriously, there is always going to be someone being affected negatively by road work, but why not do it quickly and move on? In my town (in the US) there are roads that have been cut from 4 lanes to 3 for months now, because they can never get their asses in gear and get it done. It just takes some planning and coordination, and they could do it as fast as top gear did, but much more elegantly.

In some of the areas around here they get private contractors to do the work, and they can give them penalty clauses that dock their pay for every day over the allotted time. That is what it takes to get shit done, make them pay if they are too slow (and reward them for being fast).

I live close to the I75-I70 interchange and they've been completely redoing it for the last couple of years. In all the dozens of times I've gone through the construction site I've only ever seen a piece of construction equipment moving once. It's absolutely ridiculous. They built the first big sweeping ramp really quickly and it's like they've done nothing but stand around admiring their work for the last two years. The other ramps are way worse than the one they renovated. You've only got about 100 feet to merge going from 75 South to 70 East and you're going about 35 to take the sharp turn. Meanwhile the 70 East traffic is using that same 100 foot runoff to get onto 75 North. It's a deathtrap.

Almost every time I'm on 75 I have plans of going somewhere to the East and it would be really really nice to be able to speed up the trip by taking the interstate. But ever since the construction started I've had to stay as far away from that interchange as humanly possible. I end up having to go 10 miles out of my way to get onto 70 East because the interchange is that bad. And it doesn't look like it's going to be finished anytime soon. My tax dollars hard at work. :mad:

I can't believe you put underneath in...

*hits head*

Minus underneath..