Finding the exact RAM specs.

Raheel

Photoshop Mod
Car(s)
BMW E46 318 CI
Hi all,

I had bough a gig RAM PC3200, i dont know the exact company name...is there any way i cant find the exact specs and manufavturer (apart from opening and reading off the chip). I want to buy another one but enable dual channel as well.

or crucial.com has a memory test
also memtestx86

Though, to be honest, matching sticks probably won't give you much extra performance. You should be just as well of with any stick of 1GB DDR400.

Even if you buy the same brand and speed, good chance it'll be different chips anyway.

Same speed and cas latency, then you should be fine.
And buy somewhere you can easily return the stick if it turns out to be incompatible.

Use CPU-Z.

Reading what it says on the RAM itself works too.

Though, to be honest, matching sticks probably won't give you much extra performance.

If I am not mistaken you need matching sticks for dual channel. But make sure the RAM supports dual channel. If you bought one 1GB stick, chances are it doesn't. As far as I know dual channel RAM comes in pairs, for example 2x512MB or 2x1GB, and isn't sold separately.

Last edited:
You don't need same size sticks for dual channel but you do need them to be the same speed and latency. Otherwise it will run to the speed of the slower one which is not optimal. Same manufacturers is sometimes a bonus but not always gonna be any faster.