Kubica crash analysis

HondaF1

Aussie Bastard
Car(s)
First Aberdeen Bus Network
I found this analysis of Kubica's crash on itv-f1.com. I thought it was a very well written, so I thought I would share it with you all to see what your thoughts are.

Mark Hughes on Kubica

It's a testament to the safety levels in modern Formula 1 that Robert Kubica suffered only a twisted ankle and light concussion following his horrific crash in the Canadian Grand Prix.

Expert analyst Mark Hughes highlights the massive amounts of work that have gone in to this field and looks at areas for further improvement.

Such was the violence of Robert Kubica?s Montreal accident that most onlookers initially feared the worst.

He hit a total of three barriers, the first a glancing blow of his right-front that plucked the wheel off but which barely reduced the car?s estimated 170mph momentum, the next an approximately 75-deg frontal impact that pretty much wiped away the car?s footwell and which subjected Kubica to an average deceleration of 28g.

It appears that this knocked him briefly unconscious.

The car then rolled violently and hit the barrier on the opposite side of the circuit with much of the kinetic energy now spent.

As the steaming wreckage came to a halt on its side, his booted feet could be seen protruding from the ripped apart nosecone.

Remarkably he suffered only a twisted ankle and light concussion.

This was by far the most violent non-injury accident the sport has ever witnessed, and bears superb testimony to the crash test regulations instigated by the FIA in the 1980s and which have been constantly toughened ever since.

It is also a result of carbon-fibre construction and improved understanding of structure behaviour in impact made possible by software simulation.

Although F1 cars have been constructed from carbon-fibre for 26 years, even a car of a decade ago would not have stood up as well as Kubica?s Sauber-BMW to such a colossal impact.

As materials, structures and understanding have improved during that time, so the crash tests that the cars have to pass before a design is ever allowed onto the track have become more severe.

Other times the severity of the impact tests have forced improvements in understanding. The process has been one of both push and pull.

But although the cars are now incredibly strong, Kubica?s accident could quite easily still have been fatal had it occurred before 2003 and the introduction of the HANS device that re-routes deceleration loads that would otherwise be applied to the driver?s head to his shoulders and upper body instead.

In 2001 NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt was killed in an impact of no more than 48mph precisely because of the neck injuries caused during a sudden deceleration when the body is belted into the car but the head is unsecured.

Felipe Massa is widely believed to have been the first F1 driver whose life was saved by the HANS device.

In 2004 he suffered brake failure into the very same Montreal hairpin that saw Kubica?s accident on Sunday. Ironically it was with the same Sauber team too.

Calculations showed the deceleration he was subject too would not have been survivable without the device. Like Kubica, he was unharmed.

Knowledge is always improving and Kubica?s accident will have shown where further advances can be made.

For one, thought needs to be given to heightening the central metal barrier that Kubica almost vaulted. His car was still in mid air as it smashed into the guard rail, having been launched by hitting the rear of Jarno Trulli?s Toyota.

Had the BMW cleared the guardrail it would have been smack on-course to hit cars coming out of the hairpin.

In this case Giancarlo Fisichella would have been the most likely victim.

It was fortunate that the third impact was not front-on because by this time Kubica?s feet were fully exposed.

This may well force even tougher nose cone impact tests ? although there is a balance to be struck in how high the modulus strength of the carbon fibre is made. Increasing the density of the material makes it more impact resistant up to a point, but when that point is reached the material is destroyed more explosively.

The key will be in working out how to spread the loads.

There is a third factor that may have contributed to the accident: that of the tyre rubber ?marbles? that make the Montreal circuit incredibly slippery off the racing line.

This is a by-product of soft compound tyres necessary for grip on Montreal?s very smooth surface combined with the high speeds of the circuit. At no other track is there a combination of such high speed and such soft compounds.

Having the circuit resurfaced with a much coarser grain of bitumen that forces harder compounds may be a solution here.

So although the sport can congratulate itself, complacency will not set in.

Formula One is still a dangerous environment.

Source

I'm still amazed by it. Despite knowing all the work that goes into making the cars safe, it still staggers me that he basically walked away from it. I have to admit watching the recovery crew work on the car & Robert, and seeing him slumped in the cockpit brought back very bad memories of Senna.

Yes, F1 has come a long way, but the severity of the accident just shows the speed at which F1 cars move, and how it can go horribly wrong in the blink of an eye.

I think its just amazing how that if he had that crash five years ago, he would've been killed. Same with Massa in 2004. Five years ago, we were kidding ourselves that the sport was safe and couldn't be made much safer. Its a wake up call that F1 is not safe and can never be considered safe while cars are reaching speeds of 350kph.

At the same time, I hope the sport won't overreact and take any drastic measures. I'd hate to see the Montreal circuit altered because it is one of the last few tracks that one can actually look forward to for a bit of racing between the cars. Its hard to see how they can further improve the safety of the circuit knowing the proximity of the barriers and the lack of room (the track is on an island in the middle of a river) involved, but I don't think the track is unsafe, or below the stringent FIA safety standards.

Last edited:
It?s not that the track is unsafe, it?s just that the cars get too fast. A car doing 350kph can be sent airborne and fly like in 10m height if it hits the right obstacle. What happens, when a car flips over and another car runs over the ultra-flat underbody and goes flying through the air? You can?t build rails that prevent it, the only "option" would be racing in tubes. I think there ALWAYS is a risk in motorsports, you can?t prevent everything

It?s not that the track is unsafe, it?s just that the cars get too fast. A car doing 350kph can be sent airborne and fly like in 10m height if it hits the right obstacle. What happens, when a car flips over and another car runs over the ultra-flat underbody and goes flying through the air? You can?t build rails that prevent it, the only "option" would be racing in tubes. I think there ALWAYS is a risk in motorsports, you can?t prevent everything

He hit concete walls, they are unsafe and can be improved with SAFER Barriers or High-Speed Safety Barriers. Magny Cours got rid of most of their concrete walls in 1995.

NASCAR have for many years, used pop-up air brakes to slow a high speed roll, F1 has yet to aquire such ancient technology.

The scariest thing in F1 is one getting lauched over the back of another. Something the FIA have yet to address.

Kubica was really lucky not to have hurt his feet.

He hit concete walls, they are unsafe and can be improved with SAFER Barriers or High-Speed Safety Barriers. Magny Cours got rid of most of their concrete walls in 1995.

NASCAR have for many years, used pop-up air brakes to slow a high speed roll, F1 has yet to aquire such ancient technology.

I think the concrete wall at that particular part of the circuit is fine. If he hit a tyre barrier, the sudden decrease in speed probably would've killed him. As it was, he was able to glance off the concrete and basically just slide to a halt.

What on Earth are pop up air brakes, and how do they slow a high speed roll? :blink:

NASCAR stock cars have flaps that pop up when the car spins out. They are not brakes, they are meant to prevent the car from flipping over, which they do by changing the airflow around the car.

...the next an approximately 75-deg frontal impact that pretty much wiped away the car?s footwell and which subjected Kubica to an average deceleration of 28g.
Isn't 28g a bit low for a 75 degree impact at those speeds?

Isn't 28g a bit low for a 75 degree impact at those speeds?

It's an average, so the peak would've been higher I imagine.

They don't really have that much of a point in F1 since the cars don't have the tendency to take off as NASCAR cars(and many other full-bodied cars) have when spinning at high speed.

The scariest thing in F1 is one getting lauched over the back of another. Something the FIA have yet to address.

For as long as there have been open wheeled race cars this has been a possibility. The only way to stop this would be to enclose the wheels. But then they wouldn't be open wheeled race cars.

You can't wrap everything in cotton wool....

Holy shit, that was a crazy crash. It's remarkable that he made it of there in that condition.

I can't imagine what a regular car would be like crashing at that speed.

It was a nasty crash,and he still hit another car that had abandoned before he hits the wall.
And indeed 28G seems low, Ritchie Hearn crashed at 210mph and he got 139G,thats the record for an impact measured...

Racing in tubes! Nice idea!!!

I think that the only change needed at Montreal's circuit is a 15m safety fence between the two sections of track where it doubles back on itself. There is no way Fisi would have been able to get out of the way if Robert went straight over.

Also, notice how these days when theres a serious crash and it looks bad cos the driver isnt moving, how they dont zoom in any more like they used to when the recovery teams and Ambos are working.

NASCAR stock cars have flaps that pop up when the car spins out. They are not brakes, they are meant to prevent the car from flipping over, which they do by changing the airflow around the car.

Well, bit hard to legislate that for an F1 car as it would probably come under the MAD (moveable aero devices) concept. I'm sure some crafty team would consider engineering it to somehow malfunction in the braking area of a corner and suddenly have it pop up. 'Oops, sorry about that! Wont happen again!'

Internet racing huh? rFactor has an F1 mod they could use! :p

That's a pretty good article, as many have said it's pretty incredible Kubica walked away from the accident with minor injuries.

I think that the only change needed at Montreal's circuit is a 15m safety fence between the two sections of track where it doubles back on itself. There is no way Fisi would have been able to get out of the way if Robert went straight over.

I agree.