Nissan testing a Silva replacement?

thedguy

rides with Rebecca Black.. in the back
Car(s)
(OO=[][]=OO)
6au128h.jpg

Just days after word came that Nissan is working on a small coupe, a mysterious prototype has been spotted in and around the automaker?s facilities at the N?rburgring in Germany.

While the body of the prototype above screams 350Z, look closely, and substantial alterations seem to support the notion that this is not a next-generation Zed car, but rather a new, smaller model, potentially with some cues lifted from its Urge concept of a couple years back.

Check out the awkward roofline, which looks like it has been chopped to accommodate a clipped wheelbase. Our spies at KGP report that there are riveted sections in the mule?s roof, which lend a degree of credence to this assertion. Click on the high-resolution gallery, and it looks as if the doors may have had some work done to them as well (note the vertical tape lines).

Given that engineers appear to be using a Porsche Cayman as a comparison benchmark, it?s either the case that this remains a new, smaller 350Z (the two models are Nissan?s closest natural competitors), or that the company is setting a seriously high bar for its budget performance car. We can only hope that their choice of a Boxster companion will mean that the new car will be rear-drive as well.

Source

It seems after BMW got my memo Nissan spies heard about it and sent one back to Japan :thumbsup:

Now it looks like a sportscar. They need to give it enough power to go from 0-60 in 5secs.

Yes i say it's the next 350Z because it has the similar looks of the current one...

What the article is saying, though, is that the reason it looks like a 350z is that they altered a 350z's body to fit onto a smaller platform. They cut some material from the middle of the doors and welded them back together, the headlights and front/side fenders look like they are from different sized cars...etc.

Since the Infinity Coupe is now the G37, do you think the next 350Z will actually be called the 370Z?

Since the Infinity Coupe is now the G37, do you think the next 350Z will actually be called the 370Z?

Well.. That will probably depend on the engine. The 350Z was named after the 3.5 litre engine on the car.

BTW that car looks a little bit ankward don't you think??? I don't think THAT will be the next Fairlady nor the next Sylvia but I think they are testing a new engine onto the platform of the 350Z probably to test the chasis for another model (which could be a Sylvia with a totally different look)

Well.. That will probably depend on the engine. The 350Z was named after the 3.5 litre engine on the car.

Yup. And since the Infinity G35, which is basically the same car but with back seats, was the G35 (3.5) is now the G37 (3.7) I hope they give the engine to a "370Z." Something like 330-340hp. Nice engine.

I have no idea what this test mule is about, but it's always nice to have new models, specially if it's going to be a sportscar.

Honda did a silmilar thing a few weeks ago... a lengthened S2000 body on a possible NSX mule.

Seems Nissan is trying to beat as much use outta the VQ Engine as much as possible.

Not really suprising - the VQ (and it's direct ancestor, the VG) is their functional equivalent of GM's corporate V8 - it's one of their best engines, and they stick it in everything. They used to stick the VG in everything from small subcompact cars to the 300ZX to the Maxima and their trucks.

Nissan stuck the VG30 into a lot of surprising places.

Not really suprising - the VQ (and it's direct ancestor, the VG) is their functional equivalent of GM's corporate V8 - it's one of their best engines, and they stick it in everything. They used to stick the VG in everything from small subcompact cars to the 300ZX to the Maxima and their trucks.

One thing that bugs me a bit is how a lot of people say it's a Renault engine. The VQ was already in cars sold on lots in Japan a full year before Renault and Nissan even announced any kind of technical partnership, let alone anyone buying into the other.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please Nissan, BUILT IT!

Call it the 250Z (or 250SX, or whatever), make it RWD, put in a Q25DET (yes - T) and watch enthusiasts line up to buy it faster that you can produce it!

One thing that bugs me a bit is how a lot of people say it's a Renault engine. The VQ was already in cars sold on lots in Japan a full year before Renault and Nissan even announced any kind of technical partnership, let alone anyone buying into the other.
Yeah, I agree, like how JC complains about the VQ35 in the 350Z. I think the VQ makes a great growl! (my dad's VQ30DE in his Maxima is my reference)

The 350z don't sound to bad from outside, but only stock. As soon as anyone touches the exhaust, the sound goes to hell.

G35 = 350Z + Infiniti Badge.

Basically.

It is part of the FM platform program so there are alot of similarities but the chassis are fundamentally different

Last edited: