BMW using technology to answer a question nobody asked.

Great comparo pic Auisere.. who is the fatty? :lol:

The weird thing is that I found the previous 3, 5 and 7-Series to be so sleek and sexy, then they go and completley ruin all their models. Okay, the new X5 and the new 3er coupe look alright but it's still a far cry from the BMWs of the 90s. I'm not anti-German by any means and I don't even have a problem with higher running costs than non-German competitors. But I wouldn't put up with higher prices/costs to own a current BMW model.

I agree that this is really stupid, but apart from that, whats with all your Germany hating lately?
Quality is on the rise again for almost all german brands and to be honest its not as bad as people here always make it out to be (My whole family drives German cars (except me :D) and they never ever got any problems apart from small stuff here and there.
Get used to it, we Americans have gotten used to dealing with this bashing for 15+ years now.;)

That guy is hilarious-looking... thanks for the link, I'll read it. Oh, and sorry I misspelled your name Austere. ;)

That guy is hilarious-looking... thanks for the link, I'll read it. Oh, and sorry I misspelled your name Austere. ;)

Do yourself a favor and go here link and watch "Dragon" "Guitar" and "Techno" Those always cheer me up.

What's wrong with that? It's worked fine on commercial jets for years, and they have even higher safety requirements than cars. There is the issue of feedback, but your average family car doesn't have much to begin with.

The only issue I see with it, is it makes it even harder for owners to fix their own vehicles. Hell in the US with DMCA and the like, it would make it Illegal to do so. I would make some references to freedom about America vs Saudi, but I don't know enough about that part of the world to avoid sounding like anymore of a moron than I already do.

Speak for yourself. Not every enthusiast thinks Bangle's designs are ugly (I quite like the Z4, 1 and 5 series, myself), and from what I gather, the cars themselves are still excellent to drive.

I was speaking for the American market. We don't get he 1 series. And well few enthusiasts really seem to like BMW's new designs. Perhaps I'm just speaking for the majority.

I agree that this is really stupid, but apart from that, whats with all your Germany hating lately?
Quality is on the rise again for almost all german brands and to be honest its not as bad as people here always make it out to be (My whole family drives German cars (except me :D) and they never ever got any problems apart from small stuff here and there.

Thats good to hear about quality. As far as the German hate goes, I've just been burned by BMW really bad. I love the look of many German cars, and I love the way (older, no experience with e46 or newer) BMW's 3's drive, but they just can't seem to tolerate any kind of a "beating."

The big thing with German cars (BMW specifically) is it always seems to be the small things that break, and destroy the big expensive things in a chain reaction. Example is my friends 318. Due to the Germans inability to tighten a bolt down properly (and use any kind of thread lock) the bolts in the oil pan and oil pick-up (the more likely ones to do so) back themselves out. If the ones in the pick-up come out, the gasket fails between the pick-up and the pump, no oil can be sucked up and therefor no pressure to your bearings, and now you have a spun bearing and are stuck on the side of the road.

There are at least 4 bolts that can fall out and into the oil pan, and you'd never notice, those bolts can get into the pickup and thanks to the low mounting of the engine, the pan can get hit by something in the road and flex. This flexing causes the bolt to be pushed through the pick-ups filter and then sucked into the oil pump. I know this is true, because it's what happened to my brothers 318is.

On the flip side, I've heard from plenty of people with the older, quality, Mercedes' that keeping up with maintenance (@ about $1000 a year on average) and they are great long lasting cars, and judging by the number of old 190e's I've seen on the road through my life I don't doubt that one bit.

Last edited:

I'd say the usual...when it comes to american or japanase cars, it's the same or even worse ;)

these type of post just piss me off. it's not overly engineered. it's actually very convinient. i have a bmw with an electronic dipstick. all you have to fuck*** do is read the damn manual to figure out how to use. it's so damn simple. you press a button and just wait like 2-3 minutes and you get a correct reading. the reason people have been overfilling the oil is because they don't reset the level afterwards. it's so intuitive. what's the difference between a traditional and an electric one. after you fill the oil, you still have to check the level. with an electronic one, you just press a button and don't need to get out and fiddle under the hood. it just tech challenged people who don't put in the time to learn how to use the tech that always have a problem. progress is always forward.....

Ive been driven and driving BMWs my entire life as well, and they are extremely great compromises. The problem with them those little small parts here and there get extremely annoying and expensive. It all comes to BMW being a business they design wonderful cars, but the include inherent faults to force owners to come back to their ridiculously horrible dealerships, where employees know they can act like shit and overcharge you because they know their demographic buyer. Its worth while to make money on the people buying a "beemer" (idiots) vs people buying it as an ultimate driving compromise machine. This is all epitomized by such parts as their ridiculous clamping system, their GP1(something) machine which reads codes regualr OBDII's dont, their plastic waterpumps, their BMW specific tools, plastic window regulators, rubber paint coated interiors, their cheap pushpin brackets, and the fact that nothing used to come standard (thankfully this has changed recently). The real issue in this business oriented model is the conversion to the high-tech sensors, cheap to make- easy to sell for $$$.. Brake ABS sensors, Intake and exhaust Camshaft sensors, oil dipstick sensors, tire pressure sensors, Airbag sensors, MAF sensors, and a lot more, those are just the ones i replace YEARLY! for 80-200 dollars a sensor. Everytime one of those poor beemer people come in they get quoted at least 3-8,000 in repairs.. so sad.. most of the time they do a shit job replacing it as well and or dont get the actual problem... i hate them ... but i love my car...

these type of post just piss me off. it's not overly engineered. it's actually very convinient. i have a bmw with an electronic dipstick. all you have to fuck*** do is read the damn manual to figure out how to use. it's so damn simple. you press a button and just wait like 2-3 minutes and you get a correct reading. the reason people have been overfilling the oil is because they don't reset the level afterwards. it's so intuitive. what's the difference between a traditional and an electric one. after you fill the oil, you still have to check the level. with an electronic one, you just press a button and don't need to get out and fiddle under the hood. it just tech challenged people who don't put in the time to learn how to use the tech that always have a problem. progress is always forward.....

just wait.. til it breaks.. imagine the problems then. the system is fine, shown by the fact that every manufacturer offers one, but the real issue is that they dont have a manual dipstick for backup.

Umm to put oil in the car you have to get under the hood. The problem I see is not so much with having the extra sensor (it's nice) it's the removal of the dipstick. When ever I check and add oil in any car I tend to get my hands a little dirty, and would rather avoid having to go wash my hands just to reach in the car and wait 2-3 minutes to get an oil reading when I could have just pulled the damned stick myself and read it there.

I used to work at a shop changing oil, and to do a full oil change we got paid 10 minutes for the job. Waiting 2-3 minutes just to get a proper oil reading would be costing me money.

Oh and did you miss the part where the sensors are failing and reading low when the oil level is actually fine?

As another case of overengineering:

Doesn't one of Dodge's previous econo-brands (Stratus? Intrepid?) require the removal of a wheel before you can replace the battery?

As another case of overengineering:

Doesn't one of Dodge's previous econo-brands (Stratus? Intrepid?) require the removal of a wheel before you can replace the battery?

I think the mythbusters had that problem on one of their eps. Jamie was rather pissed about it.. :lol:
I think it was the "driving behind a 747 myth"...

I know the stratus didn't...I know one car I had, you had to remove the wheel to get to the oil filter...can't remember the car, though...

No....it's over engineered. I'm a tow truck driver, and most car makes never consider something might break. According to the BMW service manager, I'm not suppose to jumpstart a 7 series, which without power you can't put the car into Neutral...because there is no shift unlock button. Same with the KIA's. Considering you don't wanna get out to check the oil, I'm sure your gonna what to, and know how to replace the battery, since I can't tow it.(actually 9/10 of the time I can, it just involves dragging the car by the already POS tow hook)

How about no tow points at all? You take the hook out the trunk and screw it into the front or rear bumper, which is fine, but according to them, that's not a tied down point and is suppose to be replaced after 3 tows. Or it'll snap, roll off the truck, into 2parked cars. Okay it might not roll off the truck into 2 parked cars, but that's just what happened to one of the ones we towed. Just great engineering I suppose.

It's not just BMW tho. Since the 80's most people that design the spare tire locations and ways of getting the spare tire out/down clearly never changed a tire before.

Back to the oil level sensor, most people think they already have this feature, mistaking the oil pressure for oil level.

I fix that problem by taking the covers off permanently.

Ehh that might not be a good idea. In some cars the covers are there to help manage air flow in the engine compartment for cooling purposes. They are also used as insulators around sensitive bits and for sound deadening.

How about no tow points at all? You take the hook out the trunk and screw it into the front or rear bumper, which is fine, but according to them, that's not a tied down point and is suppose to be replaced after 3 tows. Or it'll snap, roll off the truck, into 2parked cars. Okay it might not roll off the truck into 2 parked cars, but that's just what happened to one of the ones we towed. Just great engineering I suppose.

Exactly what car (years/model numbers) is/are these? Thats just fucking stupid.

It's not just BMW tho. Since the 80's most people that design the spare tire locations and ways of getting the spare tire out/down clearly never changed a tire before.

Tell me about it. I hate 95 % of SUV's, i'm sure you know this but for the rest of us, many like to mount 'em underneath the vehicle and have a really irritating winch setup that just pisses you off when you're already pissed because your damn tire blew/went flat.

I've always said the Japanese build very reliable cars because they just don't have a clue on how to make a car easy to work on. The Germans take that philosophy and can't be bothered to make a care reliable either. Though some very basic maintenance things are easy to do (oil/air filters, and oil changes, spark plug/wires). God for bid you need new u-joints (technically the driveshaft should be replaced but it's a paint to get to), Or need to put in a new spring perch on the rear wheel, that requires at least trying to get some movement in the
subframe. And of course BMW's pretty much wear out at about 100k miles, with exception to the engine.

I know the stratus didn't...I know one car I had, you had to remove the wheel to get to the oil filter...can't remember the car, though...

I had to work on a car that was like that, even worse you even had to remove the plastic liner for the front passenger fender well, and to get that off you gotta remove the tray underneath the front end. And then you gotta remove yet another piece just to get to the damn drain plug.

The Koreans are really bad with over complicated designs. Especially their small SUV's.

Last edited:
Ive been driven and driving BMWs my entire life as well, and they are extremely great compromises. The problem with them those little small parts here and there get extremely annoying and expensive. It all comes to BMW being a business they design wonderful cars, but the include inherent faults to force owners to come back to their ridiculously horrible dealerships, where employees know they can act like shit and overcharge you because they know their demographic buyer. Its worth while to make money on the people buying a "beemer" (idiots) vs people buying it as an ultimate driving compromise machine. This is all epitomized by such parts as their ridiculous clamping system, their GP1(something) machine which reads codes regualr OBDII's dont, their plastic waterpumps, their BMW specific tools, plastic window regulators, rubber paint coated interiors, their cheap pushpin brackets, and the fact that nothing used to come standard (thankfully this has changed recently). The real issue in this business oriented model is the conversion to the high-tech sensors, cheap to make- easy to sell for $$$.. Brake ABS sensors, Intake and exhaust Camshaft sensors, oil dipstick sensors, tire pressure sensors, Airbag sensors, MAF sensors, and a lot more, those are just the ones i replace YEARLY! for 80-200 dollars a sensor. Everytime one of those poor beemer people come in they get quoted at least 3-8,000 in repairs.. so sad.. most of the time they do a shit job replacing it as well and or dont get the actual problem... i hate them ... but i love my car...

Thats sorta strange because when we had our old BMW 318i E46 serviced, our experiences with the dealer was relatively trouble free, even buying and selling was trouble free.

Exactly what car (years/model numbers) is/are these? Thats just fucking stupid.

Tell me about it. I hate 95 % of SUV's, i'm sure you know this but for the rest of us, many like to mount 'em underneath the vehicle and have a really irritating winch setup that just pisses you off when you're already pissed because your damn tire blew/went flat.

I don't have a list exactly, actually I do have a big ass book with all the vehicles and tow points, but it would take forever to go through it. Most of the late model BMW's, VW, mercs, audi's, porsche, seems like more and more everyday.

The new chrysler vans, the spare tire is under the car between the 2 front seats. PITA!
The 01-02 chevy 1500s spare tire let down thing is only good for 1 time, it then bends and stops working.

I've always said the Japanese build very reliable cars because they just don't have a clue on how to make a car easy to work on.
Oh the Toyota Previa...one of the most dreaded vehicles for a Toyota mechanic to work with.