Non-american forum ppl: what's your stereotype american accent?

Non-american forum ppl: what's your stereotype american accent?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
im not really familiar w a florida accent, im not saying there isnt one ive just never really noticed a regional accent when i vacationed in florida, can you provide a youtube clip as an example?

I guess there is none, but I suppose you could define it as a sociolect. Every time I see a clip of anything from Florida, I get the impression people speak in a surtain way. Which might change a lot in different social groups.

Just an impression.

My girlfriend gets really annoyed with me really quickly when I speak to her in one of those thick Dickensian Cockneys.

Should have been an option in the poll for annoying.

Whats your stereotypical american accent? Annoying!

Yeah, but annoying comes in a lot of varieties, theres no one specific type, that's why i didn't post it as an option.

but if you want annoying, the best example, do a youtube search for 'fran drescher the nanny' that will make your ears bleed.

Well, neutral isn't really neutral. It's eastern-based neutral. Case in point -- few people on the news can properly pronounce "Oregon". Most people on the news say "Ori-gone" when it's actually "Ora-gun".

And don't get me started on Willamette...

those subtleties are way too specific for this question being directed to foreigners, that why i didn't go into it. hell there are regional dialects and accents simply in the state of michigan where i grew up, but again, way to specific.

Oh my god, I HATE that guy. He's such an overly dramatic douche.

His terrible puns are the best.

"The only jaywalking he'll be doing from now on will be in ja-il!"

Should have been an option in the poll for annoying.

Whats your stereotypical american accent? Annoying!
No, no, I think you're thinking of the slang filled, poor sounding British accent. I'm not talking about the one you hear on BBC shows shown here on PBS, but the one on the average street in the UK in which the person had an accident with their tongue and a blender.

His terrible puns are the best.

"The only jaywalking he'll be doing from now on will be in ja-il!"

My favorite one was when he referred to an e39 M5 as a "highly tuned, 4-cylinder, European sports car". Then when the M5 got away he said something like "he was lucky this time... but next time, he won't be so lucky" :lol:

No, no, I think you're thinking of the slang filled, poor sounding British accent. I'm not talking about the one you hear on BBC shows shown here on PBS, but the one on the average street in the UK in which the person had an accident with their tongue and a blender.

If it's bad UK accents we're talking about, look no further then the former Spice Girl** on the latest Fifth Gear.

**(yes, I've intentionally forgotten which one it was)

If it's bad UK accents we're talking about, look no further then the former Spice Girl** on the latest Fifth Gear.

**(yes, I've intentionally forgotten which one it was)

I am not trying to start a ethnic argument here, so please don't get me wrong, but I find strange that, to me, it's easier to understand thick British accents like the "forgotten Spice Girl" has, accents found in movies like "Snatch" and Australian accents than Texan accent or that obscure language rappers use. And I find it strange because I am exposed to these American accents much more than the other ones...maybe something to do with my mother tongue? Figures...

Well then, there are a lot of accents: New York/Brooklyn, American Neutrality (not limited to the midwest like the one in the poll), Texas, Southern (yes, there is a slight difference between them), Louisana/Mississippi/Cajun, Minnesota/Dakotas/Wisconsin, Appalachian, Hispanic, New England, Philadelphia, African American, Southern African American, and a lot more that i can't think of. The biggest stereotyped at the moment is the texan accent (obviously).

Yeah, well, listening to you bastards say G'DAY MATE SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE EH? is overrated too!

Has anyone here actually ever put a shrimp on the barbie? (bbq)

I know I haven't .. but ... i guess thats just me and my dislike of fish and love of all things meaty :p

Oh - and for me

Texan style, gerogedoubleya ruins it for you guys.

Last edited:
Has anyone here actually ever put a shrimp on the barbie? (bbq).

Actually, no, I haven't either. Besides which, we call them prawns, not shrimps.

But I will admit some nasal Australian accents can sound pretty average.

Nicole Kidman made the Aussie accent sound damn sexy (back when she had a more noticeable accent)

Between here and Kylie Minogue :drool: a PROPER Southern Belle ( used to be the rich girls) accent is pretty hot, but are extremely rare, a lot of people that irritating souther twang is one, I'm sorry it's not.

One accent thats missing: BOSTON I can't stand a freakin' New England accent. LEARN TO PRONOUNCE YOUR DAMN R's!!!!!

[YOUTUBE]RbK4cL3QSc0[/YOUTUBE]

Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting does one, but heard some really irritating New England accents.

California," but actually just "The Valley" of LA.
I used to pull that accent as a kid when I lived in Colorado. So many kids at school for the first day or 2 swore all Californian's talk that way.

Oddly enough I've run into people that swear I have an accent, even though I speak with a neutral, slightly southern vocabulary at times (grand mother is from Kentucky), "accent."

Oh and I found this on my quest of accents and had to post it:
If you're a fan of the tv show House you must watch this.
[youtube]kBsOO6J83Ls[/youtube]
[youtube]fGITZaosYtQ[/youtube]

Last edited:
Arnold Schwarzenegger accent?

[YOUTUBE]VDm1g4zw8Hs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Ok, where the hell did those videos from House come from?

Ok, where the hell did those videos from House come from?

Apparently season 2 extras. I want to know what the hell made them decide to do those skits. I watched 'em over an hour ago and I'm still dying from when Cameron says "Thats hot!"

Do a search on you tube for hugh laurey (or however his damn name is spelt) it's almost weird to watch him do his bits on British tv shows.

Last edited:
Well, neutral isn't really neutral. It's eastern-based neutral. Case in point -- few people on the news can properly pronounce "Oregon". Most people on the news say "Ori-gone" when it's actually "Ora-gun".

And don't get me started on Willamette...
I love how when they talk about Des Moines, WA they pronounce it differently than Des Moines, IA :lol:

I was once told by a group of Texas chicks that I have a 'TV-Accent'. I thought to myself "Do they mean proper pronunciation, and lack of slang and no slurring of words?"

Has anyone here actually ever put a shrimp on the barbie? (bbq)

Hell yeah. My mom does it all the time, Apparantly it's nice, dun like it meself.

I have put shrimp on the barbie, with the right spices and some grilled vegetables you have an excellent meal.

Those videos from "House" are great! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.