Drag Strip Car kills 7 on City Streets.

I'm not Takumi

Car(s)
Toyota AE86 Corolla
Last edited:
That is terrible. Could blame the driver, could blame the spectators for standing too close, could blame the coordinators for having that car there. Doesn't matter though, people are dead.

Road conditions!?!

RIP

As in a dip in the road, cracked road. This is why drag strips are smooth. I would definitely blame this on the coordinators. They didn't make it safe.

As in a dip in the road, cracked road. This is why drag strips are smooth. I would definitely blame this on the coordinators. They didn't make it safe.
I understand what they mean, but they're trying to make it seem like the road was the reason that the driver lost control and that the enormous burnout had nothing to do with it.

I understand what they mean, but they're trying to make it seem like the road was the reason that the driver lost control and that the enormous burnout had nothing to do with it.

Or the massive amounts of power, and the fact that a small variance in grip between the 2 wheels is all it takes to make a car like that hook.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have them do this with the drag car are the ones responsible for this. Followed closely by the driver and anyone who worked with the car that didn't say "uhhh, this isn't a good idea, these cars aren't at all meant to run on normal roads"

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the news:
[YOUTUBE]GU4tkw-ae9Q[/YOUTUBE]

Did anybody actually speak up and say, "This is an accident waiting to happen, we shouldn't do this?" Or did the geniuses who thought up this idea ignore all who spoke otherwise?:wall:

My condolences to the families of the victims, and a good punch in the face to those who performed this.

Reading through the rest of the article it seems that they've been doing this for years, and in fact all 4 of the AMS Pro cars there were supposed to do this. And apparently it's been done for quite a long time with no problems

Further reading suggest that the driver, thought a 20 year "veteran" (in the industry in general, not as a driver), ran the burn out longer than is normally done, usually everyone would stop before the end of the guard rail.

I still don't quite see how the drivers didn't think this was a bad idea. It's one thing when a 500hp 32 Coupe does a burn out, but a car like that, when it hooks up it's gonna go, and if only 1 wheel hooks up, things like this happen. I've seen higher class drivers on fully prepped cars wreck doing a burnout on the track.

It sounds to me as though it's more than likely the drivers fault for running his burn out to long. Looking at the video says the same thing to me, I would have backed out of the throttle as soon as the car started to make any significant foreward progress to avoid gaining any speed at all.

What a tragic, pointless waste, so easily avoidable if those ignorant parties responsible had used common freakin' sense.

This is a terrible accident.

But why were there no barriers??

WTF? The crowd looks like something from a motor race in the fifties, standing that close. Didn't they learn from Hammond that drag cars can be sent out of control very easily? Sorry, but had that been on a normal track, everyone would be fine.

The crowds shouldn't stand so close

Most people weren't expecting the drag cars to come out, and a parade of other cars had just finished. Several people had already started to walk across the road thinking the parade was finished when they pulled out this car. Which only made things worse.

Donnington said:
Didn't they learn from Hammond

No.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070618/NEWS01/70618015

The entire AMS Racing Team is in deep mourning over the losses and pain suffered this weekend. Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and their families during this difficult time. We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragic accident, which is compounded by the fact that it occurred during a charitable event designed to raise money for disabled children. We offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the individuals that were injured or perished in the accident.

The team was asked to attend a charity event in Selmer, Tenn. to help raise money for the Cars For Kids charity and was told the organization had staged a charity car show for the past 18 years in which the drivers performed burnouts. The team sent its racing team to the event to display two racing cars -- a '93 Corvette and a '57 Chevy -- and planned to have each vehicle perform an exhibition burnout.

A burnout is a demonstration in which the driver spins the tires to create smoke and noise to demonstrate the ability of the car. The driver involved in the accident, Troy Critchley, is an experienced professional driver who had performed more than a 1,000 exhibition burnouts without incident prior to Saturday.

The team arrived in Selmer on Friday June 15, 2007. On Saturday the team displayed two cars for the public to view, and, after displaying the cars, the crew was instructed to line up with other cars participating in the event. After the parade was completed, Selmer Police Officers blocked off the highway for the cars to perform the burnouts. The team understands that the Selmer Police Chief, Neal Burks, was present and in charge of crowd placement and blocking off the street.

The drivers understood that the roadway had been inspected and approved for the burnout exhibition. Before Mr. Critchley began the exhibition, two Selmer police cars traveled down the left and right of the roadway and instructed the crowd to move back. Mr. Critchley was signaled to start and he began to perform the burnout. After a straight start, the car skidded off the road. Mr. Critchley did everything humanly possible to keep the car on the road, but unfortunately, there was nothing he could do.

Mr. Critchley was taken to the Emergency Room and treated for injuries he sustained in the accident. He voluntarily submitted blood for testing to the Tennessee Highway Patrol and it was confirmed he had no alcohol or drugs in his system. The entire crew remained in Selmer on Sunday, June 17 to cooperate and provide information to Tennessee State authorities investigating the accident.

The team has agreed for the involved car to remain in the possession of the Tennessee Highway Patrol for examination. Mr. Critchley was not arrested nor has he been given any indication he will be charged with a criminal offense. The team is cooperating with the State of Tennessee and is currently investigating a number of factors that may have contributed to the accident including crowd control, safety precautions and the preparation and condition of the roadway.

BTW, I just noticed that this thread belongs in the General Automotive forum.

I just can't help but to think what a useless way to die...

I could write more, detailing exactly what I think of the event and how poorly organised it appeared, but what would be the point? I doubt they'll learn from this.

Didn't they learn from Hammond

You have to keep in mind that Top Gear has more of a cult following in the States, unlike it being mainstream in the UK. Chances are, none of those people have heard of Top Gear, Hammond, or his crash. So, to quote TheDGuy...

thedguy said: