What car brand are you glad is or wish was dead?

That makes no sense. GM has only made a handful of good V8 cars in the past 25 years anyway. You have just some of the Vettes, some of the Camaros/Firebirds and the Caprice based Impala SS. Everything else was either emission joked carbage, most of the 80s here, or poorly executed like the GTO.

You are going to completly write off Honda just based of the exhaust note? The smallest engine Honda ever made for a car in the US is 1.5 liters AFIK.

You know who had the last 1.0 liter cars sold in the US???

That would be the Geo Metro: owned by GM. :idiot:

And what about the turbo 3.8 V6's Buick was turning out in the mid 80's? They were known for being jack the giant killer. Many many V8's have fallen at the hands of turbo 3800 T-Types, GN's, and GNX's.

And what about the turbo 3.8 V6's Buick was turning out in the mid 80's? They were known for being jack the giant killer. Many many V8's have fallen at the hands of turbo 3800 T-Types, GN's, and GNX's.

That is very true but he seems like a guy that would never recognize the supremacy of an engine unless it was a big, loud, thumping V8. Trying to convince him that a little V6 would be able to crush a Big V8 would be even more difficult then convincing him that Plymouth fell from greatness 35 years ago.

Even the later Supercharged 3800s were pretty impressive. My Bonneville club had some hopped up supercharged Bonnevilles turning 400 plus hp at the wheels and running low 10s in the quarter mile.

Not bad for a two ton FWD pseudo-luxo cruiser.

No, the reason they went away is because the platform went away. GM discontinued the G-Body for 88 and all the cars being made on it either were dropped or they switched to a FWD platform, and none of them could handle the power the 3.8 was making.

No, the reason they went away is because the platform went away. GM discontinued the G-Body for 88 and all the cars being made on it either were dropped or they switched to a FWD platform, and none of them could handle the power the 3.8 was making.
Wasn't the fact that the Turbo Buicks were competing with the Corvette for sales a major factor in that?

The 3800 v6 also held a huge amount of the 6 cylinder acceleration and top speed records. Only a few of them have been broken recently by a couple of 4wd Skylines in OZ.

The 3800 also was quite an engine at Indy in the 80's, which is why there is the GNX. Mclaren worked with 3800 v6's in their Indy cars.

Punisher Bass said:

This is part of it. The Buick crew would have loved to keep making GN's if they car stayed RWD. Once in went FWD, as far as I know, they basically said fuck it. The end of the RWD platform is what basically spawned the GNX as a last "Hurah!"

Wasn't the fact that the Turbo Buicks were competing with the Corvette for sales a major factor in that?

Yep, there's the other part. The more GN sales went up the more Corvette sales went down. A semi-well known fact within GM is that no car can have more power than the top Corvette. Not sure if that rule is still in effect though.

I'd like to see Buick take a RWD or AWD chassis, and build a Turbo V6 for it. Even if it's limited edition. Though I also think Buick should become a bit of a niche car and go after the Audi market by being an FWD and AWD car maker (and preferably using different forms of power production compared to the rest of GM).

Now that I think about it, with Buick badges being thrown on those SUV/CUV/Truck things (enclave) why not make an AWD version with a Turbo 5 or 6 (not sure if it uses the Atlas engines or not), and make it the return of the GMC Typhoon with a mucho better interior :evil:

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, with Buick badges being thrown on those SUV/CUV/Truck things (enclave) why not make an AWD version with a Turbo 5 or 6 (not sure if it uses the Atlas engines or not), and make it the return of the GMC Typhoon with a mucho better interior

A new V8 is to be fitted. It currently uses the 3.6 V6.

Actions speak louder than words.
From what I understand GM is still a BIG company and if they really really wanted to change, they could do it in one day.

Right, and big organizations are slower to change as a general rule. Logistically it's a nightmare, plus man hours to re-tool the multiple assembly lines, specialized workers to hire and train, contractors for materials and out-sourced pre-assembled parts to sign (and then they have to produce the first batch of units, which have to be inspected and delivered). It's a massive undertaking

... not some honda with a 1.0L engine that sounds like a weed whacker.

Ok, You are officially on my Shit-List; you clearly don't know anything about Honda (or any other brand for that matter). While they might not make your favorite noise with their engines, the engines are perfect for the cars they are in. You have done nothing but take pot-shots at Honda since you showed up while exalting the virtues of a justly dead badge that should have been euthanized years before it finally shuffled off. You can't seem to appreciate a car for what it is - Civics are designed to be economical to operate, reliable, and practical and be both affordable at the low end and offering luxury appointments at the upper end. You would be hard pressed to find another car that does that job as well as a Civic. Not every car has a big V8 and I wouldn't want every car to have a V8.

The world is a bigger place than your narrow little mind can possibly grasp, and the car world is just the start of it. Don't mistake me for a Honda fan-boy just because I own one, I use Honda merely because you insist on bashing it at every turn and with absolutely no justification. So far the closest you have gotten to real criticism is that they don't make a V8 Civic that sets off car alarms. Well yippie-kai-yay, cowboy, you just compared apples to turnips.

For your edification: the 1.0L engine in the Honda Insight (Hybrid) won Engine of the Year in the <1.0L category for six years in a row. The 1.3L in the Civic won Engine of the Year (1.0-1.4L) from 2002-2004 and took "Best Fuel Economy" in 2003 & 2004 - a title held the previous two years by the Honda Insight. The 1.8L engine in the Accord won in 2000 (1.4-1.8L). And the 2.0L in the S2000 won from 2000-2004 in the 1.8-2.0L category. Honda took the title again in 2005 with a 2.2 L engine (2.0-2.5L). The Insight 1.0L pops up again back in 2000 as "International Engine of the Year." In all this time, the only Chrysler engine on the list is a single concept that won "Best Concept" in 1999 & 2000. That's it, one engine with the Chrysler name. I see a lot of Toyota, Honda, BMW, even Mazda, Ferrari, and Saab made the cut. There's VW and Mercedes' AMG works (too bad Chrysler doesn't get those engines); but aside from one non-production concept there's nothing from your beloved Chrysler.*

Please, don't make me embarrass you again.

* - Source

Last edited:
I'd love to see Kia die a quick, painless death. I'd love it if we just got up in the morning to find she'd passed away in her sleep. No threat of a corporate buy-out by another company hoping to 'revive the brand' and no long drawn out deathcapde like with Rover. Nope, just gone one day.

SsangYong I don't mind so much because they make it easy to spot the people who have no taste or sense. I saw a SsangYong Chairman once and it made me laugh out loud! I wondered if the man driving it actually believed that we thought he was driving some sort of Mercedes-Benz. I gave him the 'fellow Benzer wave' just to fuck with him.:lol:

And roll on the death of Mitsubishi Motors Australian division! It's like a weed that's sucking the life out of our carefully laid flower arrangement. Every time Hertz or Avis buys a fleet of Mitsubishi Magnas that's money out of the pocket of Holden or Ford - Companies that actually have a reasonably bright future in making semi-decent cars for the "little aussie battler" that I read about in the newspapers.

Have any of you driven a Magna? Imagine if you will putting a twenty gauge shotgun in your mouth.... and blowing your brains all over the ceiling. It's kinda like that.

The. Worst. Car. I've ever driven. By a long, long way. And I'm used to driving a clapped-out car that's older than the fucking Beatles!!

Why do we need the Mercury Brand? Many of the past models were just cheap rehashes of Ford Models. And the New Edge Mercury Cougar....wrong car for the brand. They should've had it as an entry-level compact below the Mustang.

People associate Ford as being cheap and Mercury as being higher class, it's bullshit of course but the last sales figure list I saw showed that Mercury isn't doing that bad.

Why do we need the Mercury Brand? Many of the past models were just cheap rehashes of Ford Models. And the New Edge Mercury Cougar....wrong car for the brand. They should've had it as an entry-level compact below the Mustang.

The idea is that with one platform you get three cars, a Ford for the masses, a Mercury with better trimmings and different styling for a mid-range and a Lincoln with luxury appointments.

@Mopar, Please stfu about Hondas. Jesus christ, it would be like me saying that I hate all Chryslers because gangsters give them big and ugly shiny wheels, and suicide doors. Honda also has a fantastic V6 which is more powerful and reliable than any modern Chrysler V6 that you can throw at it...

Saturn is one of GM's best selling brands. Also, it gets best consumer satisfaction of all the GM brands. The Aura won the North American car of the year. I don't see why people here hate Saturn.

Saturn is one of GM's best selling brands. Also, it gets best consumer satisfaction of all the GM brands. The Aura won the North American car of the year. I don't see why people here hate Saturn.
It has to do with how Saturn was in its earlier years where it was not making any money not to mention that S series was dull and was not trouble free. GM spent a lot of money to start up Saturn and the returns were not good for a while. Let's just say if things weren't getting better like Saturn is today, GM might have axed Saturn because of its troubled and expensive history.

It has to do with how Saturn was in its earlier years where it was not making any money not to mention that S series was dull and was not trouble free. GM spent a lot of money to start up Saturn and the returns were not good for a while. Let's just say if things weren't getting better like Saturn is today, GM might have axed Saturn because of its troubled and expensive history.

The thing I didn't understand with Saturn was they introduced a new car brand, when Oldsmobile was constantly fighting for a place in the market. Why didn't they just move Oldsmobile to making Saturn like cars? Saturn became GM's "development" or "beta tester" group, which was Oldsmobiles position.

The Saturn coupes weren't that bad. They make decent autocrossers and or Rally cars now.