Diesel Cars In The US

I also like the sooty exhaust - especially when a convertible BMW is riding up my bumper. I just shifted into N and floored it. I figured he would either back off or die of asphyxiation. (works for motorbikes too)

Hmm.... definitely going have to buy a diesel now.:mrgreen:

We have a 2005 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8 turbo diesel. They sold every single one they made in the states but cant sell them anymore due to more strict emission laws. Its a great vehicle, averages 25 mpg on the highway, which isnt too great, but now that diesel is 20 cents cheaper than regular its well worth it. The power is great, at about 1600 revs the turbo kicks in and the thing takes off. Driving it in town there is no need to rev above 2200 rpm.

Hmm.... definitely going have to buy a diesel now.:mrgreen:

Not gonna happen now, low sulfur diesel I believe pretty much fixes the problem.

I didn't forget. I just don't agree with it. No one minded the rattle of a diesel or the exhaust when diesel fuel was half the price of gas and diesel cars themselves were cheaper than their gasoline counterparts.

I actually like the sound of those Mercedes diesels from the 1980s. Sure, it sounds like a sewing machine at idle but they are brilliant engines that will run forever. They have tons of torque, they're fast (top speed) and not too bad in accelleration with the turbo.

I also like the sooty exhaust - especially when a convertible BMW is riding up my bumper. I just shifted into N and floored it. I figured he would either back off or die of asphyxiation. (works for motorbikes too)

You're one of the few who likes them then. And it's still a legitimate argument, once fuel costs went down to a decent price, no one wanted to put up with the noise and black smoke of a diesel, except for a few people anyway.

Well they don't put out black smoke and run roughly here, least my two didn't. Try the Honda Accord 2.2 Diesel or the any VW with the 1.9 PD, brilliant day to day drives. You do not know what you are missing out on over there.

Sadly we don't get the Honda, and I have a personal hatred for VW.

Last edited:
The thing people forget about exhaust is that the soot is actually a good thing. It means that almost all the hydrogen-carbon bonds were broken, leaving more pure carbon. Hydrocarbons in the exhaust cause smog and health problems, pure carbon just precipitates out of the atmosphere. It's hydrocarbons and carbon dioxide and monoxide that actually stay in the atmosphere and a gasoline engine produce far more of those pollutants.

Diesels actually run cleaner.

It's true there aren't a lot of diesel powered cars here in the US, VW being the main late-model option (and GM made a dismal attempt back in the '70s/'80s), but A LOT of the pickups here have diesels. If I had the money to go down and buy a new pickup tomorrow, my first choice would be a diesel, in fact. The newer diesels are making more power than the gas engines, and more efficiently.

If you people think diesels are boring, you've never been in the passenger seat of a white van. :lol:

I even kinda like the sound of those above 3000 RPM.

Several factors previously mentioned including the fact that small diesels can't meet emissions requirements due to the NOx and particulates they emit.

Didn't diesel powered cars place 1st and 2nd in Le Mans this year?

Yeah, not boring.

I asked this very same question in the 'america and big engines thread'

one thing i cant understand is, from reading what i have, i understand generally american like lots of near-idle torque for cruising yes?

I dont get why diesels arn't alot more popular, especially in Non-V8 variety, like maybe being able opt for the cheaper V6, but still have the same amount of low end torque as the petrol-V8 (ok, so it wont sound as good)

it just surprises me the dislike for diesel when it seems to deliver what you want.. TORQUE!

it seems its alot down to the crappy selection on offer now, and bad reputation of shaking and smoke, has been their demise. But it does seem that the trucks appreciate modern diesels.

Diesels are very popular here in the UK, especially for high milage jobs like taxi's, couriers etc. I dont think many tranny vans use petrol here. And every other audi and merc i see is TDI/CDI

I wasn't driving in the 70/80's when they were suppose to have sucked. I won't buy one because diesel isn't at every station, not that it needs to be at every station, but I don't want to need to drive 15 miles out the way, passing perfectly good gas stations to get fuel. Or go outta town, and drive around looking for a place that sells it. This may not be the case everywhere in the states, but it is here.

Also yeah the GM and ford diesel's put out alot of power, but it's also surrounded by 5000lbs worth of truck. HP and TQ aren't fun unless you can stop. If more stationed carried the fuel, and they put the engine in something even reasonably sporty I'd buy it.

Here is a diesel powered US car: http://18to1.com/

OK thats awesome. And it don't sound half bad. I just wish they'd post more info!

I wonder what the Smog Ref's got to say about this. As far as I know putting an engine from a truck in a car is against the smog regs there.

Interesting how good of a job he did a White Oldsmobile Cutlass look like a Buick GN... I like... I want this car.

edit: found a link to a thread on the build up turbobuick.com

Last edited:
Have you ever driven a Diesel??? Booooring!!! :zzz:
Says the person driving a 1.4 ;)

Have you ever driven a _current_ generation diesel-engine? (= turbocharged with direct injection)
Diesel engines have improved significantly during the last 10-12 years or so and still make huge steps forward with every new generation released. Well, at least outside the US because where gas prices somehow forced that development :cry:

Today I took an Audi A5 for a test-drive which had a 3.0 v6 Diesel-Engine giving 240hp and 369 ft-lbs of torque starting at 1500rpm. The engine was so quiet and smooth that it was hard to hear it at all when standing at traffic-light. 0-62mph takes around 6 seconds with that car - so much for "boring". But the thing is that these engines should actually fit the "american style" pretty good since you can easily idle along on the motorway in 5th or 6th gear at low revs with lots of low-end-torque available. Cruising along you'll get over 40mpg. Drive this thing really fast and you still get over 20mpg on average. (btw: the car I drove had exactly the same specs as the one driven by fourtitude in this review)

VW and Audi plan to bring these engines to the states in the next year or so and I strongly suggest you test one. Merc and BMW are planning the same, also starting with their 3l engines.

I would love to have a diesel because the engine is simpler, more reliable, and longer lasting. Also better fuel economy, and cheaper fuel.
Sadly, because of turbocharging and direct injection, diesel engines are not that simple anymore. However, the turbochargers usually last much longer than on petrol-powered cars because of lower exhaust-temperatures and thus, they are still very reliable and long-lasting.

lol i was wondering the to a few days ago...do the even sell diesel fuel in the USA?

most gas stations in the US do sell diesel, either as a separate pump or from a separate nozzle at the same pump, even in diesel unfriendly california.

OK thats awesome. And it don't sound half bad. I just wish they'd post more info!

I wonder what the Smog Ref's got to say about this. As far as I know putting an engine from a truck in a car is against the smog regs there.

Interesting how good of a job he did a White Oldsmobile Cutlass look like a Buick GN... I like... I want this car.

edit: found a link to a thread on the build up turbobuick.com

If you like that, you should like this too.

You see the Bio-diesel duramax 65 Impala that "pimp my ride" built for earth day? If I recall it had 850hp :-o

I want to shove a Duramax in a Chevy II (early Nova). Or for pure lightness, a 3 cylinder turbo diesel in a geo metro (aka a suzuki swift). Would make for an interesting, possibly fun to drive daily driver.

You see the Bio-diesel duramax 65 Impala that "pimp my ride" built for earth day? If I recall it had 850hp :-o

I've heard about it, but haven't seen anything on it.

As for interesting diesel swaps, I'd really like to take an old International conventional or Ford COE and install a WVO DT466 for one heck of a tow rig...

I've heard about it, but haven't seen anything on it.

As for interesting diesel swaps, I'd really like to take an old International conventional or Ford COE and install a WVO DT466 for one heck of a tow rig...

I like your style. I love COE's. I'd love to build a '49 ford COE. I've seen a few of them done at the Kentucky Good Guys street rod show last year.

Diesel...car...America...??

*does fat American businessman laugh*