Toronto orders removal of yellow ribbons from EMS vehicles

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
Toronto's City Hall has ordered fire fighters and paramedics to remove yellow magnetic ribbons supporting Canadian troops in Afghanistan from their emergency vehicles.
The decals must be removed from all vehicles by Sept.4 but the reason behind the removal order, who made it and who gave permission for the decals to be used in the first place remains unknown.
Some speculate the order to remove the ribbons came because proper protocol to use the decals was not followed.
Others say city council does not want the vehicles to appear supportive of the war in Iraq.
Public relations staff, the head of Emergency Medical Services and Toronto's Fire Chief Bill Stewart were in attendance at a recent emergency meeting to discuss the topic.
The issue has since been added to Tuesday's city council agenda.
Some councilors believe the order to remove the decals is a black mark on the city.
"I was stunned this morning to hear on the radio that some official at the city had ordered emergency services, particularly ambulances, to take off the decal that supports our troops in Afghanistan," city councilor Brian Aston told CTV News on Tuesday.
"These decals are on there and it makes a very strong statement. To take them off, Toronto is the largest city, would just be an outrage. It would be a black eye on the reputation of our city," Ashton said.
Coun. Janet Davis said just as many councillors want to see the decals removed as those who support their presence on emergency vehicles.
The Toronto Fire Fighter's Association said it appreciates that protocol must be followed in such an instance and maintains its employees continue to support troops in Afghanistan.
"They have been on there for six to nine months and we support the troops," Scott Marks, a spokesperson from the Toronto Fire fighter's Association, told CTV News on Tuesday.
"It was a non political statement and so I mean from that perspective, I think we have been able to see that support come to fruition anyways."

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...roops_ribbons_070619/20070619?hub=TorontoHome

Disgraceful.

I don't particluarly care for all these ribbons, but this sounds like a cheap political move. If emergency workers want the ribbons on, they should be allowed to have them.

Sounds exactly like Toronto city hall. Can't be bothered to solve anything important like the increase in gun crime but has enough time to tell Emergency services to take off ribbons supporting our troops. Once again I'll say it again, our politicians are the worst you can get and this is for all levels of our government.

Makes sense. The trucks are bought and and paid for with tax money and are owned by the government. The trucks really aren't the place for any kind of political statement or similar.

If the firefighters and paramedics want to support the troops by way of decorative ribbons surely they can do so by attaching them to their own cars...

I think supporting the soldiers are a good thing, but only when the war is worth it, and this war... isn't!

So are the Canadian soldiers.

but who owns the government, who pays the taxes. Canada is a democratic society. we should vote to take the soldiers out of the war.

but who owns the government, who pays the taxes. Canada is a democratic society. we should vote to take the soldiers out of the war.

That does not mean that you should show disrespect toward your soldiers. They are willing to fight and die for you and many others they don't even know. I am not entirely certain you would do the same. If you must protest, protest the politicians, not the soldiers. The removal of the ribbons is a sign of disrespect.

i do support our soldiers, i was in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, which is a youth program based on the Royal Canadian Air Force. i just dont support them going to such a war. I feel that they can be put to better use. Also i have friends joining the Army, and i dont need them to go and support such a war.

I was only trying to point out that it would be hypoctrical for the government to tell them to take down the ribbons, when it's the government that sent troops into Afghanistan.

The people don't vote on every single issue, it's not feasible. That's why you elect representatives. The solution is to vote them out of office.

thats the thing i live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and there could be something that i'm doing, but dont exactly know what yet.

The removal of the ribbons is a sign of disrespect.
:lol: Sure it is. Some clowns out there are making good money exploiting the "patriotism" of individuals. Who cares if they can't put them on ambulances? If they're pro-war they can stick the things on their own car, and vote for whatever politician is silly enough to keep us in the middle east.

:lol: Sure it is. Some clowns out there are making good money exploiting the "patriotism" of individuals. Who cares if they can't put them on ambulances? If they're pro-war they can stick the things on their own car, and vote for whatever politician is silly enough to keep us in the middle east.

Supporting the troops and supporting the war are two separate ideas. The ribbon has traditionally been used to support the troops.

Supporting the troops and supporting the war are two separate ideas. The ribbon has traditionally been used to support the troops.
Exactly what I was going to say. I support all troops 110% percent, but I don't support the war at all.

But what kind of person takes advantage of other people's money to make magnets, and even if the money collected from the magnets go towards out troops, how do you know that money actually gets to them.

So its just some random guy making lots of money off of soldiers that put their lives on the line for a war that doesnt get any where.

So are the Canadian soldiers.
Exactly. So if the soldiers in Iraq stuck 'Gay Pride' rainbow stickers on their uniforms they'd get in trouble. Not because what they're saying is wrong but because the platform from which they're saying it is inappropriate.

The emergency workers are representing 'the people' and since the people can't all agree on this issue the ribbons should go. Hell, even if all the people did agree it's still not the right place for those ribbons.

Emergency workers don't represent the people. They are in the employ of the government and serve the people. Paramedics, Firefighters, Police, Soldiers....they are brethren (I wouldn't be surprised if some of the soldiers are in fact police officers or firefighters as well). They all put their lives on the line in some form, and if they want to stand together....they should be able too. Even if it's a simple statement as putting a ribbon on a truck.

I don't even see why this is an issue. I don't support the troops (which I'm sure is known on the forums)...but if my house is on fire I don't give a flying fuck if the rescue team has a ribbon on their truck or not.

There is no comparison between a soldier in battle wearing a gay pride sticker and a firetruck in toronto sporting a support the troops ribbon. But let's assume the firetruck in toronto had a gay pride sticker...that would still be different, because that is a political statement whereas the ribbon is an expression of solidarity (as mentioned above, it does not translate to supporting the war). If a sticker on the truck did read "we support the war"....then I would be all for removing them.

Let me ask this. If the truck had a pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness, should it be removed?

Last edited: