Brushes with Fame/History

Did you meet Maria Sharapova? Or just meet her? ;)

i wish that I had... she's only a year and a half older than me (it could've happened...;)).

well.....Sabine Schmitz lifted me up once :p

That aside, my mom, in 1984 ran a track event and beat India's one of only two (I think) Olympic Track and field entrants. She stopped athletics later when...err..well I came :)

I met the whole australian cricket team when they were playing India in my home town.

got pushed aside by Steve waugh when I was standing in his way.(they were visiting the local shipyard)

I am related to the singer John Mellencamp

Celebs I've met:

Martin Luther King III
Tool (the band - Maynard James Keenan, Danny Carey, Adam Jones and Justin Chancellor)
Alan McNish - former F1 driver, Le Mans overall winner, factory Audi R8/R10 driver
Johnny Herbert - former F1 driver
Boris Said - races in several series including ALMS, NASCAR
Johnny O'Connell - Factory Corvette C5R/C6R driver
Nick Fry - Factory Honda F1 team principal
Martin Brundle - ITV F1 commentator and former F1 driver
Jimmy Johnson (american pro football coach and commentator)
Fantasia Barrino (American Idol winner)
Buff Bagwell (Pro wrestler)
David Copperfield (magician)
Bobby Bowden (college football coach)
Ray Allen when he was in college (pro basketball player)
Ben Stein (the "Bueller.. Bueller.." guy from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, game show host, commentator for Fox News)

Some others I'm forgetting

Brushes with history:

Lived through Hurricane Andrew in 1992
Was in the middle of protests/riots over Elian Gonzalez in downtown Miami
I have a friend who was trapped in her apartment building while the World Trade Center was collapsing, she escaped after the second tower fell and was covered in that white dust. I work with a guy who was actually in one of the towers when they were hit.

Last edited:
When I was working in Borders, I saw George Lucas shop there 2-3 times.

I didn't bother him though.

I don't think I have any stories like this at all. I am a direct descendant of an Irish King however so I might go over there one day and claim my country.

Apparently I am the 20th great grandson of Robert the Bruce. Freeeeeeeddddooooooooommmmmmmmm!

My uncle is really into family trees and such. I have always been fascinated with Scotland, hopefully I'll make it over there sometime this year.

My grandfather worked in the Wright brothers' bicycle shop in Ohio. They asked him to go with them to North Carolina but he (like everyone else) thought they were crazy, and declined to go. D'oh!

Last edited: