UK imposes new 4mph speed limit.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
.. on "mobility scooters." Who knew that electric wheelchairs needed so much regulation. What are they going to do? Take your license away?

4mph - the new speed limit imposed on Britain's 250,000 mobility scooters
By MARTIN DELGADO - More by this author ? Last updated at 22:43pm on 23rd June 2007

Speed limits are to be imposed on Britain's 250,000 mobility scooters after a spate of accidents and the death of a 94-year-old woman pedestrian.

A 4mph limit for pavement use and 8mph on the road will be set out in the next edition of the Highway Code, to be published in the autumn.

For the first time, the Code will also include rules governing the safe use of the scooters. A new 11-paragraph section will require riders to give way to pedestrians and "show consideration for other pavement-users".

Slow down: Mobility scooter users are facing tough new regulations

The move comes after The Mail on Sunday highlighted the tragic case of Margaret Quarrell, who was knocked down and crushed by a scooter while she was shopping in a pedestrian precinct near her home in Barking, East London.

The machine landed on top of her, pinning her to the pavement with the rider still in his seat. She died later in hospital after contracting the MRSA superbug. The culprit has not been traced, despite a police investigation.

Have you been driven mad by mobility scooters? Tell us in readers' comments below...

Mrs Quarrell's daughter, Carol Corrigan, said last night: "If these rules had been in place earlier, my mother might still be alive. There can be no more excuses. Scooter owners must take responsibility for their actions."

Liberal Democrat MP Bob Russell, who has campaigned on the issue, said: "This is the first positive recognition by the Government that there is a problem here. I welcome this new section of the Highway Code but there is still a great deal of uncertainty about insurance and the suitability of riders to handle these machines."

With a 26-stone scooter capable of carrying a weight of up to 39 stone - plus the weekly shopping in a specially fitted basket - critics say the vehicles pose a potentially lethal threat to pedestrians.

There is no requirement for any safety inspection and users are free to start riding on the pavement or road without any training, health assessment or eyesight check. Insurance is voluntary, which means anyone hurt in an accident has little chance of winning financial compensation.

Although the machines are intended for the elderly and infirm, riders do not need to be registered disabled or be OAPs. The only legal requirement is to be over the age of 14.

Under the current regulations, mobility scooters capable of going faster than 4mph must be registered with the Government's Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency as a Class 3 invalid carriage. Very few owners are believed to have done so and the DVLA says it does not know how many have been registered.

The updated version of the Highway Code is still only in draft form while the Department for Transport continues its consultation process. But the new edition is expected to include these rules for mobility scooter users:

lPavements are safer than roads and should be used when available. Riders should give pedestrians priority and show consideration for other pavement-users.

lPowered wheelchairs and scooters MUST NOT travel faster than 4mph on pavements or in pedestrian areas. Riders may need to reduce speed to adjust to other pavement-users who may not be able to move out of their way quickly enough or where the pavement is too narrow.

lRiders must take care when travelling on the road as they may be travelling more slowly than other traffic and may be less visible.

A spokesman for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said last night: "We are pleased to see these rules will be published for the first time."

Nice to know that they are dealing with the important issues........:rolleyes:

Nice to know that they are dealing with the important issues........:rolleyes:

You are going to strain your eyes if you're not careful. This attitude that people should be dealing with more important things really pisses me off. Small things need to be dealt with otherwise the country will grind to a halt. The fact is the people who will have added this to the Highway Code will just be some organ grinder within the Transport Department and this is probably about the most important thing they ever do. Surprisingly I do actually agree with this anyway. These scooters run on the pavements so amongst all the pedestrians. They are usually ridden by old people who have little control, I have been smashed into by one because the guy driving it was basically blind. 4mph is sensible as this is the speed most people walk anyway.

Wonder if it will be like AMG, where with a nod-and-a-wink the dealer will disengage the limiter...

I agree with Peter3hg though - it makes sense considering these things are sharing the footpath with pedestrians.

You are going to strain your eyes if you're not careful. This attitude that people should be dealing with more important things really pisses me off. Small things need to be dealt with otherwise the country will grind to a halt. The fact is the people who will have added this to the Highway Code will just be some organ grinder within the Transport Department and this is probably about the most important thing they ever do. Surprisingly I do actually agree with this anyway. These scooters run on the pavements so amongst all the pedestrians. They are usually ridden by old people who have little control, I have been smashed into by one because the guy driving it was basically blind. 4mph is sensible as this is the speed most people walk anyway.
What he said.

I wonder if this means there will be twice as many speed cameras.
I'd rap myself in tin foil and run past it. :p