[11x09] June 25th, 2007

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
As usual, no torrent talk please. :)

Well quite good this one. Loved the Lotus, and the Limo Crash actually was OK too. I kind of like the alternative fuel stuff (but that might just be me). Tiff driving that van. ... :lol: and the Megan was cool. X5 was OK sort of a cross between a car review and some sillyness. Now anyone want a three seater sofa with a V8? (Even the silly celib' had some cool cars - 3 x AMs! - and the replica was niiice!).
Yep enjoyed this episode.

x2 Great episode! Is it me of is Fifth Gear starting to recover after series 10?

Not as good as last week's ep, but it's still alright. Loved the DTM and the Lotus Segment. I wish they would've shown more in car footage instead of the shaky camera. And too bad they didn't let Tiff drive the DTM CL. The Lotus 211 is cool, it's like an more modern version of the Caterham 7, absolutely minimal, it doesn't even have a windshield. lol. Next week is the last ep, when is TG coming back?

Wow, the editing in the intro for the shootout was some of the most overdone and annoying editing I've ever seen on television.

Another very good episode :D

DTM car and the Lotus 211 segments were great. Shoutout, Limo crash & to a lesser degree motorised lounge suite were very good.

I'm sure all the perverts will enjoy the models flashing her arse out the window & less than discrete shot down the top during the Limo segment. I sure did :p

And those in the UK should enter the car comp ASAP. Its the only Boxster S in the world that has a 3.2 litre straight 6 (according to Vicki in the voice over) instead of the 3.2 litre horizontally opposed boxer engine :lol:

I do wish motoring shows would do a basic fact check...they sound very stupid indeed if they don't know the type of engine that is the heart & soul of the 911, Boxster & Cayman!

fifth gear sometimes botches their crash tests a bit. its like they only have the budget for one go so they set it up to make sure its unsurvivable.

50 miles per hour into concrete?

talk about setting it up for total failure, might as well have gone 100mph.

how survivable is that test for any car? even with seatbelts decelerating from 50 is something harsh.

more realistic would be impacting another vehicle. limos weight would give it an advantage against most vehicles. plus most accidents involve some braking before impact.

fifth gear sometimes botches their crash tests a bit. its like they only have the budget for one go so they set it up to make sure its unsurvivable.

how survivable is that test for any car? even with seatbelts decelerating from 50 is something harsh.

more realistic would be impacting another vehicle. limos weight would give it an advantage against most vehicles. plus most accidents involve some braking before impact.

The main reason for crashing cars into solid walls at high speeds is that it could have the same effect of hitting a car which is going the same speed as you in the opposite direction. So 50mph into a wall is similar to you going 25mph and hitting someone head on going toward you at 25mph.

I think the ep kinda stunk. The first half was especially awful.

An ugly hatch versus an even uglier van?
Motorized couches?
Some chick in a Porsche replica? I damn near fell asleep.

Things picked up a little with the DTM segment. Very cool cars, but no way will that girl make it into F1. Keep dreaming lady.

I gave a sigh of relief when Johnny appeared. Thank god for this guy. All his segments are fantastic and this one was no different. Laughed my ass off when he said he looked like a terrorist. :lol:

Jason in the Lotus was great.

I like Tom but I don't really give a shit about limousines, let alone whether they're safe in head on collisions or whatever. I skipped this part to keep awake.

And I like everything Vicki does, naturally. She just needs to lose the jackets in this series. Geez.

Well, the speed limit in Britain is 70 on the motorway. The Limo's in a hurry, the driver might be going 80, 90 or even 100 mph. Sure, you brake, but 50 seems like an appropriate speed.

Sausages

DTM Mercedes Race Car (I always thought Suzie was related to that Aussie Twat Paul!) Though they need to do a review of the CL properly!

Lotus. Lots of interesting bits. But only averagely done

Fuels. Like Johnny. But the other guy was a bit weird. Why was his dog in the car during the race! And no shit a almost new Jag was faster than a old Merc. Even worse when you consider TG did "poo power" on some old Rovers years back

Yvette Fielding. Remember her from my childhood on Blue Peter! Clearly shes got good taste though. But again bit weird

Mushy Peas

Limo. As above pointless test. Tom "acting" drunk was painful
Ed China. Idiot!
X5 - Could of been good, but as ever VBH ruined it!
Shootout - Very bored of these now!

3/10

Just started watching this ep. I wholeheartedly agree about the seizure inducing tacky/overdone editing of the intro to the first shootout. ANother example of Fifth trying to hard to be like Top Gear except they arent anywhere near the style or class of TOp Gear. All it ends up doing is draw attention away from the cars themselves.

Also, is it just me, or is this johnny guy a wannabe Jeremy Clarkson? God I can't wait until the glorious return of Jezza and his beloved series...

Last edited:
It's just you.

OK let me rephrase that...

after watching the 2008 Mercedes C-Class review done by Mr. Smith, I couldn't help but notice that his chosen style was painfully reminiscent of a certain notable BBC Motoring presenter by the name of Jeremy Clarkson. From that episode on my sentiments have only been reinforced.

I'm not another Fifth gear basher. I just hate it when they try to be like Top Gear.
Tiff is a driving god. Honestly I wouldnt have known about fifth gear (or top gear for that matter) if I hadnt come across Tiff's sti/evo comparo for old top gear, when I found it on kazaa back in 2000 or so. Then there was the mr-s review, the first S2000 review, and so on. that's also around the time when I found the old gear.007bond.com site :)
Funny to think about it but Tiff WAS top gear to me for a long long time...

Suzie :heart:. Yeah so I kinda loved the DTM segment. I watch the DTM and thoroughly enjoy it. Female race car driver. Better than Vicky.

The rest of Fifth Gear was blurry :lol:.

I loved the transit van shootout but then again I seem to have a soft spot for underrated minivans. The rest I barely remember. I couldn't wait till they got to the crash test of the limo. Figured as much that the damage would be fatal. Humans become projectiles.

Lotus? Another Lotus? Bring back the true king, the Esprit V8 TT.

Better ep.. but wasn't tom going to talk about the Parking Boots the police use... I wonder what happened to that segment of the show...???

Good episode ruined by seriously annoying camerawork. For instance, when Stoddart is talking, the camera is moving all over the shop. Keep it fackin' still FFS! Doing that was popular in mid-nineties rap videos, but it just looks shit!

I liked pretty much every bit of that episode! Even the stuff in the carpark was okay.

My only complaint is the "review" of the X5. I don't even think they even had a shot of the dash or anything. I would have wanted to know if people can actually sit in the 3rd row but thats asking too much isn't it...

wutdafeezi said:
...that ghostbuster is crazy!
...by that very definition I'd say :!: :D

The episode? Nothing that really stood out, and nothing that was really irritatingly bad either. Except that cameraman from the DTM driver interview; was he drunk or on speed? We know that they can do better.

DJ
--