Dodge Viper becomes a Cop Car.

This is what I would call sheer provocation, encouraging people to commit a crime.
Is this legal? Is that what cops should do, creating criminals themselves which they can easily catch. To me this sounds like some sort of legalised extortion scheme.
I know people shouldn't respond to it, but perhaps these victims would never act like that if they weren't provoked in such a direct way.

From what it sounds like, they're on the Interstate/Freeway. Basically, if you're in the position of having a GT rev at you to race, you've already pulled along side it, matched it's speed, and made like you want to race it. He just signals a response of 'okay sure' to get you to go. He's not going to pull up to random cars and harass them, looking for a race. People who do racing on the interstates like this will already be looking for someone to race. Hey, a Ford GT! Let's race him!

It worked for those "Bait Cars" where the cops can remotely disable the car from far away and lock the theives in!!

That's a different situation all-together - actively encouraging someone to break the law by coaxing them into a drag race is very, very different from just leaving a car somewhere to see if it gets stolen.

That's a different situation all-together - actively encouraging someone to break the law by coaxing them into a drag race is very, very different from just leaving a car somewhere to see if it gets stolen.

Same frickin' idea....your trying to egg someone into doing an illegal act!!

Bait Car = Catching Car Theives.
Sleeper = Catching Wannabe Street Racers.

The arrest was made on an afternoon in March 2006. Marzetta chased the joy rider north from 135th to 127th Street, where the Viper swerved left around two cars at the intersection and turned right.

I know that area. It is all residential. What a fool.

Giving the signals to drag race down the highway is no different than undercover cops "selling" drugs or dressing as prostitutes to bust Johns. No one is making the other person race, in fact I bet the officer in the GT don't approach anyone. Really, why would they have to? Any street racer in the area would want to take a crack at that GT. Cops have enough to worry about with regular criminals, they don't need to entice anyone to break the law.

German police does that illegally sometimes as well, tailgating you in an E320 CDI, when you accelerate they switch on the camera and you are done.....

German police does that illegally sometimes as well, tailgating you in an E320 CDI, when you accelerate they switch on the camera and you are done.....

Isn't tailgating a major traffic offense there? Thats what the History channel here claims anyway.

I just don't agree with taking someones property like that. If they commited a crime, convict them, give them their punishment as the jail time or fine. That's it. Taking a car like that works out as what, a ?60,000 fine? How can that be justified? Doing that speed would see him without a licence anyway so the "it's so he can't do it again" argument is moot.

Last edited:
People who will drive 127 in a 35 and then run from the cops aren't going to stop driving just because they lost their license.

The vehicle seizure is only for extreme cases like this (including street racing in some states), or if the vehicle is used for drug trafficing. It is intended to be extreme to make a point and discourage this kind of behavior.

Isn't tailgating a major traffic offense there? Thats what the History channel here claims anyway.

It is, and you would never be paying if something like that happened for real. The video is always stored and you can clearly see if the police car was tailgating or not. So i call BS on that.

People who will drive 127 in a 35 and then run from the cops aren't going to stop driving just because they lost their license.

Then they should be caught and have the appropriate jail time and fines associated with driving with a suspended licence handed down then.

If i dealt drugs out of my house and was caught, I'd go to prison. I wouldn't have my house taken away from me. I just figure it should be no different for any property.

That's the difference between our countries. In the US, you could lose your house as well if they tie it to illegal drug production/large scale distribution.

Wow, I know where I won't be speeding. Also, I've heard there's a Ford GT being used as an unmarked cruiser somewhere in Texas, iirc. Cops are getting serious.

no, caps are being smart, and using awesome cars because its way better then just crushing them :p

I just don't agree with taking someones property like that. If they commited a crime, convict them, give them their punishment as the jail time or fine. That's it. Taking a car like that works out as what, a ?60,000 fine? How can that be justified? Doing that speed would see him without a licence anyway so the "it's so he can't do it again" argument is moot.

I would agree you for the most part, but like I said, this area is suburban neighborhood USA, with children near that street, other people driving the speed limit, people casually walking across the street, etc...depending on the time of day, he could have potentially killed or injured more that half a dozen people.

He deserved that seizure.

GrameH, I get what you're trying to say but seriously, they did a good job.
Many many crimes are not punished severely enough... in USA or EU. But this time, the dick WILL FEEL like he was truly punished, he will hesitate to do the same again and people like it that way. Well I do. I know cops did the right thing, I don't feel sorry for the basterd and I like the fact that, if you really do something really stupid, there is a 1% chance you will get a real punishment. 1% is better than nothing afterall.

If nothing else, this is a statement from the cops I think. Like the Canadians that crushed the tuners cars and the owners were there and couldn't do nothing but look at their cars deing destroyed. Both of these cases are statements I think, and the cops had a real reason. They just want to send a message to the rest of the pricks among us. :p
:)

Last edited:
If i dealt drugs out of my house and was caught, I'd go to prison. I wouldn't have my house taken away from me.

Actually, you could. Many houses have been bulldozed down for being constant drug houses.

The reason for the harsh penalty is not only because of speeding, but because police had to chase the driver, who continued to swerve through traffic and attempted to hide in a parking lot.

Its funny how he tried to hide in a parking lot with a yellow Dodge Viper:lol:.

I agree that doing something like that. But in my opinion why the hell would you use it as a D.A.R.E. car? It could do so much more as an unmarked car like the Ford GT.

I agree, we should instead give them a stamp on their forehead that wont wash off for three days. It'll be so embarrassing they'll never do w/e they did again. They can keep the car, guns, drugs, etc.