Getting rid of Ontario's Front License Plates

Petitions amount to nothing. There are also benefits of having front plates. I think it is better if we have front plates.

why do you believe that it's better to have the front plates, and since you said we, am i correct to assume that you are from ontario?

Personally, while I would rather not have a front one, and have gotten a ticket when I didn't realize my front one was missing (along with the mounting brackets) I can see why the government would still want us to have them if for no other reason but to aid law enforecement who might only be able to get a glimpse of the front of a car.

The "aerodynamics" argument is a pretty weak argument, since all of the new pedestrian safety laws are changing cars to make them less aerodynamic by requiring more flat, and taller front ends on cars. The new mini is a good example, because they are easy to compare side by side. The front has become much more blunt, and also taller. Both of which would make a vehicle less aerodynamic. The government isn't above putting safety over athetics.

As far as the air blockage thing, this is more of a problem with North American cars, as our plates are much taller than in other countries, where they can hide their places in much narrower horizontal stripe. However, when I re-installed front plates in my last car, after running it without it for, apparently, over 3 months, I noticed no difference whatsoever in power, or fuel consuption.

As far as "excess damage" caused by the brackets or bolts...they would just require, by law, that the brackets would need to be redesigned. Wouldn't that be just as viable a solution? Or even, why not eliminate the back plates, too, for this reason?

As far as the storage of the plates, there are many people here that I know (granted...not the smartest pickles in the jar) that thought they didn't get two plates in the mail, when they actually did, but they nested so closely together, and so tightly and stuck-together, that they thought it was 1 plate, and had installed both plates on the back. I couldn't imagine that storage costs would drop so significantly by only storing 1 plate, since the two identical plates that, because then nest, take up such a small amount of room. Much less that two different plates would.

Again, I would love to not need one...however, I can see why they are there.

Fuck front license plates, they look stupid.

QFT

They look like shit. It's the same thing with not being allowed to have dark window tint. Personally, I'd like the idea of blacking out my windows to have a little privacy. But apparently it was decided that I'm a homicidal killer just waiting to "off a few police officers" when/if I get pulled over.

They require them in both Utah and California. I took mine off because it looks stupid on my car and the mounting bracket damages the paint. If I get pulled over in California I'm just going to say that my car is licensed in Utah and the last time I checked they don't require a front plate (actually they do).

My dad took the front plate off his Mazda RX-8 because he couldn't stand it. Not having a front plate in Utah is not a primary offense but they can tack on an additional $10 (?) fine if you get a ticket for something else. My dad doesn't care, he said he would gladly pay $10 to not have the damn thing spoiling the look of his car. I agree.

As far as "excess damage" caused by the brackets or bolts...they would just require, by law, that the brackets would need to be redesigned. Wouldn't that be just as viable a solution? Or even, why not eliminate the back plates, too, for this reason?

The plates at the back is usually indented into the bumper anyways, so it wont' really affect the other person's bumper if you were to have a crash from the back

exactly what i'm thinking!

Last edited:
Don't really care. Due to the way Toyota designed the bumper the front plate is angled, so its not noticeable unless your crouching or lying down.

what i wanna know is how all you guys in Ontario put up with all the super slow drivers and super low speed limits, its probably worse then Ohio in the sense people drive like theirs no need to pay attention to what their doing as long as they drive slow

i always got the impression that Ontario is the type of place you can't have any fun with a car, feel free to prove me wrong, because i rather liked most of what i remember from my short trips over their (Primarily i remember Wunderbars!!!)

^ Rest easy, highway speed limits are almost completely disregarded. The drivers here are faster than many American drivers, from personal experience. The stragglers are easy to get around.

Having fun, well, there aren't many roads that are twisty for a reasonable length. That's the fault of the British.

As for front licence plates, I have no opinion. Take 'em or leave 'em, as was mentioned a lot of the benefits/drawbacks are negligible, except it becomes easier to identify a car.

what i wanna know is how all you guys in Ontario put up with all the super slow drivers and super low speed limits, its probably worse then Ohio in the sense people drive like theirs no need to pay attention to what their doing as long as they drive slow

i always got the impression that Ontario is the type of place you can't have any fun with a car, feel free to prove me wrong, because i rather liked most of what i remember from my short trips over their (Primarily i remember Wunderbars!!!)
Definitely words from someone who has seen in Ontario drivers. In my own opinion I think our slow drivers are more dangerous than most of the other drivers. They have the impression that if you drive slow and tap the brakes all the time they'll be safe...reminds me of all the potential accidents I or my dad could have had because of those drivers. The vast majority of these drivers do day time driving, so night time they're rare. However I wouldn't say most of the drivers are super slow, since a large portion disobey the limit usually going only 10 over to minimize chances of police ticketing you. The only place I've been to that had scarier drivers is Vancouver, where some seem to have lots of aggression.

Fun places to drive...not many...if you want to have a purpose to where your going. 401 express lanes are really the only places where all traffic moves over limit outside of rush hour. Good if you like straight line speed. In the city...not a chance. The best places to drive really are the more empty roads where theres little development and low chances of encountering police of any kind. Race tracks are scattered only around more remote areas. I don't think its a surprise we have a street racing problem in Toronto.

When I was driving on the 401 I could easily drive 150km/h when there were no traffic congestions. So from experience people in Toronto do drive quite fast, especially on the highway like the 401/404.

Personally, while I would rather not have a front one, and have gotten a ticket when I didn't realize my front one was missing (along with the mounting brackets) I can see why the government would still want us to have them if for no other reason but to aid law enforecement who might only be able to get a glimpse of the front of a car.

The "aerodynamics" argument is a pretty weak argument, since all of the new pedestrian safety laws are changing cars to make them less aerodynamic by requiring more flat, and taller front ends on cars. The new mini is a good example, because they are easy to compare side by side. The front has become much more blunt, and also taller. Both of which would make a vehicle less aerodynamic. The government isn't above putting safety over athetics.

As far as the air blockage thing, this is more of a problem with North American cars, as our plates are much taller than in other countries, where they can hide their places in much narrower horizontal stripe. However, when I re-installed front plates in my last car, after running it without it for, apparently, over 3 months, I noticed no difference whatsoever in power, or fuel consuption.

As far as the storage of the plates, there are many people here that I know (granted...not the smartest pickles in the jar) that thought they didn't get two plates in the mail, when they actually did, but they nested so closely together, and so tightly and stuck-together, that they thought it was 1 plate, and had installed both plates on the back. I couldn't imagine that storage costs would drop so significantly by only storing 1 plate, since the two identical plates that, because then nest, take up such a small amount of room. Much less that two different plates would.

Again, I would love to not need one...however, I can see why they are there.

Ya this sums it up.

Yeah Vancouver is quite aggressive and to be able to get into the other lane you really have to squeeze in because no one stops. We were doing 140 in about a 70 zone. Of coarse if you are a police officer and reading this I was actually doing the speed limit. Anyways back to the point I think front license plates are almost impossible to get off with all those safety freaks out there back I do think our fronts should be narrower and longer like the British plates, but for all of Canada.

No tickets yet *crosses fingers*

I tried to make some artsy-fartsy photo but it came out lame :D

Actually your composition is good, you just need to override your auto-focus so the toaster is in focus and the plant isn't.

Thirdly, unnecessary damage is sustained from minor bumper-to-bumper collisions, resulting from the front plate mounting brackets and bolts on passenger cars, which cause cracks and abrasions to the rear bumpers of the cars that they hit, which would otherwise be absorbed.
LOL

Canadians are funny.