removing old stickers

Interrobang

Forum Addict
I want to remove some old Stickers from my Car and basically have no Idea how without damaging the paint.

I tried pulling one of them of after the car had spend the day in the Sun (i guess that equals taking a blowdryer to it), but I only got a little Part of the upper Layer of the sticker. I tried Soapwater ... no effect. These damn Stickers have endured about 17 Years of Sun, Carwashs, Snow, Ice etc. How do I get them off if time and errosion couldn?t do the job?

Any good ideas? I am sick of those Stickers the previous owner put on that Car ...

Depends how old and how set in those stickers are. A blow-dryer is fine, but it doesn't really generate the heat that you need.

I've successfully removed stickers with a simple cigarette lighter - the flame will not damage the paint at all, and the adhesive will get hot enough to soften and thus be removable.

You might try some starting fluid (ether) on a rag. It shouldn't hurt the paint but test it on a spot of paint you can't see just to be sure. Sometimes rubbing alcohol works too.

There is an awesome product called "goo-gone" thats safe on car paints...everyone recommended it to me, but i used a floss to get mine off...but it was only a couple months old.

I got some Aufkleberentferner from the local Baumarkt (automobile section) and it worked very good without any mechanical work at all. And it's not expensive either.

A hair dryer might not be enough. I bet you will need a hot air gun (higher temperatures than a hair dryer). Be careful, because these things get HOT start well back from the car and move closer slowly, you want just enough heat to soften the adhesive but no more.

To remove any residue that is left over get a "Bug and Tar Remover" from your local auto shop. It's designed to be used on auto paint.