Server issues

There are a couple of good providers at Equinix in Ashburn. I have heard good things about Carpathia Hosting and Defender Hosting.
Except for the pricing.

Lets see.. they want $100/u and $40/mbit on 95th percentile.

So our costs there would be about $320/month to start(which is double our current colocation costs). Not feasible unless we ask for donations each month to cover the servers..

I just got the craziest idea! go with cogent.. http://fdcservers.net/ ...

*runs to corner and puts on flame suit*

Ok so I was just joking.

I would go with http://www.dedicatednow.com/ . I host 4 CSS game servers on a dedi there and haven't experienced any downtime. My webhost also uses them and they swear by them. The data center is located in Clifton, NJ.

Last edited:
This site runs on owned servers. All we need is a rack to put them in (i.e. we don't need to rent boxes).

Yes I know and understand, I colo a counter-strike source box and recommend dedicated now. You'll have to call them about collocation due to their crappy website.

Last edited:
... And we are back! After 4 hours of downtime due to Burstnet taking down their entire electrical system to replace..

Ok, now I am pissed off.

Burstnet is a horrible server/colocation provider. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. EVER.

Their power failed yet AGAIN in the colocation area, causing our database server to fail, and corrupt our databases. Now that they are repaired, let's hope that it lasts for another month before we move to a new datacenter.

We ended up moving our server from bitpusher at 365 Main down to Layer 42 in Santa Clara when they folded up (I hadn't heard about the move long ago when I posted that).

I know at 2nd degree the owners of Layer 42 and they do run a serious business; they are not buying space in someone else's colo -- they operate the building and their connectivity. They aren't Level(3) or Equinix in the hierarchy, but just below that. Since we moved from Bitpusher we've had zero issues with network or power or anything.

And FWIW they are only about 5 minutes from me for physical access (although for our stuff, we haven't needed it). They might be pricier, though; I think we pay $80/month for 1U and 512mbit.

Steve

Bleh, i have had my share with bad colo proivders aswell... IRC server is currently hosted at one. Random powercycles (testing their new UPS and backup power systems without prior notice) bad links, bad aircon, etc. Thankfully it'll move to another datacenter tomorrow.

Server's getting rocked, I'm getting a combination of Server Too Busy messages and Vb Database Error messages.

Server's getting rocked, I'm getting a combination of Server Too Busy messages and Vb Database Error messages.
What do you expect with 40 million people trying to access the site and forums at once? ;)

If I had the money, I would add a second server. But I don't, cause I spent it all doing the Lemons race...