C&D tests new CTS at Nurburgring.

thedguy

rides with Rebecca Black.. in the back
Car(s)
(OO=[][]=OO)
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/13537/full-test-2008-cadillac-cts-the-verdict-page1.html

For those to lazy to read it

The most impressive thing about the ?08 CTS is its ride-and-handling balance. Tightly controlled body movements keep it buttoned down, and the rear-drive CTS?s ride never feels harsh, either. Even in full-blown N?rburgring mode, the car is balanced, and not once did it respond with excessive understeer, although oversteer is hard to come by as well.

On the street, our initial impression is that the CTS is more comfortable than a Sport-package-equipped BMW 3-series or Infiniti G35 without giving up much ultimate performance.

The 3.6 Direct-Injected engine starts to sing at about 4000 rpm, pulling enthusiastically to the 7000-rpm redline. Our 304-hp manual ran 0 to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds and blew through the quarter-mile in 14.6 at 97 mph.

The new well-behaved six-speed automatic?it?s no wonder BMW buys this GM gearbox?will likely be the more popular choice anyway. It offers smooth shifts when you want them, but thump the throttle, and it gives a prompt multigear kickdown. Slide the shifter into the sport setting, and it quickly gets bold, dutifully holding gears?even when the engine is just 500 rpm shy of redline?and aggressively downshifting under braking.

Possibly the most dramatic improvement to the CTS is the upscale and coherently flowing interior, complete with classy materials and top-notch fit and finish. Cadillac?s least-expensive car certainly doesn?t feel that way, and it upstages the ?08 Mercedes C-class.
The Verdict:
Highs: Well-sorted chassis, bold exterior design, lots of passenger space, the best interior yet from GM.

Lows: Still-unsatisfying manual transmission, two-ton weight, could use a more supportive seat option.

The Verdict:Cadillacs continue to get better-looking and more impressive

Sounds like things are looking up for GM. Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg. :thumbsup:

I know people are going to bitch about the stick but you have to realize that Cadillac sells very few manual CTS, a very small percentage of overall sales.

Oh, and please don't move this into the online review section in the Automotive news part of the forum. Not much going on there.

I dunno, from the pictures I've seen I wouldn't say it's GM's best interior I perfer the look of the Holden Caprice

As Jetsetter said, please don't move this, I posted it in this section because no one goes into the Auto review section and this is at least the first article on it.

I dunno, from the pictures I've seen I wouldn't say it's GM's best interior I perfer the look of the Holden Caprice

Well can't please everyone... I personally prefer the CTS, partially because it's such a drastic change from anything GM, and fairly different from anything else out there. The Holden looks a bit... typical or "thats what I'd expect."

Considering we don't get the Caprice, I can see why an American magazine may neglect to compare it.

Last edited:
As Jetsetter said, please don't move this, I posted it in this section because no one goes into the Auto review section and this is at least the first article on it.

Well can't please everyone... I personally prefer the CTS, partially because it's such a drastic change from anything GM, and fairly different from anything else out there. The Holden looks a bit... typical or "thats what I'd expect."

Considering we don't get the Caprice, I can see why an American magazine may neglect to compare it.

Yeah we don't get the CTS either so comparing them is difficult, something about the shape of the centre console does sit well with me in the CTS

Spec sheet.

http://img232.imageshack.**/img232/7024/sheetnz5.png

Are GM trying to move to a more middle aged/younger driver? I'd have though that their traditional audience would want a slush box, and rather than 'handling' a more luxurious ride (the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive tho') - that would make sense as it would go with the seats they offer.

Nice to see a much better effort from GM/Caddy tho'. Now, will there be a right hand drive version?

/Edit - just got the answer to my own question - three suspension settings and the 'ring test was using the most aggressive plus the sound deadening.

Last edited:
Tz... The BMW 6speed Auto is made by ZF Sachs, a german company...

After the C6 Corvette, I may not like American cars much, but thats one hell of a car.

As Jetsetter said, please don't move this, I posted it in this section because no one goes into the Auto review section

So we should further the problem by posting less in there? :rolleyes:

Reality, Viper, says we leave it here. :)

I like that thing. As said. GMs first proper car!

Possibly the most dramatic improvement to the CTS is the upscale and coherently flowing interior, complete with classy materials and top-notch fit and finish. Cadillac?s least-expensive car certainly doesn?t feel that way, and it upstages the ?08 Mercedes C-class.

Haha, that's not too hard, every Focus does that.....the interiour in the new C-class is a nightmare.

Spec sheet.
Is it just me, or do I find C&D's redesign to the ugliest piece of shit on the face of the earth? I didn't know it was possible to go from a dated 80s layout to an even more cramped and busy format. :yucky: