Drove a Pontiac Solstice today...prepare for a letdown

I drove it in the one of the hottest days of the summer - it was.

Huh? The Miata is one of the best-handling cars I've ever driven. The steering is razor-sharp!

It was a joke. I've got on sitting in my garage awaiting a transmission, because of this, I've never actually driven it.

I test drove the GXP version and I loved it, it really does feel like a bat out of hell, but then again this was the faster 0-60mph car I have ever driven (5.5sec). Can't say I had any problems with throttle response or clunky gearshift; the one I drove a short shift and the sport suspension. Did burnouts no problem (once you turn traction control off), although it seemed like you had to give it more revs since the turbo had to kick in. (NOTE: Never buy a sports car off the lot) Under acceleration where you aren't burning rubber I didn't notice any turbo lag and it chirped between gears which makes you smile. Was probably doing 60 in a 40 but couldn't see the speedometer with my sunglasses on.

The new MX-5 is quite the porker. With those silly fender flares it looks like a midget on steroids.

I drove it in the one of the hottest days of the summer - it was.

Huh? The Miata is one of the best-handling cars I've ever driven. The steering is razor-sharp!

which generation did you drive, the first and third generation (current) are the ones i remember clearly, they handled well, but the steering itself was lifeless, it wasn't that dissimilar to the semi-okay steering in my ford tempo

2nd Gen miata i honestly don't remember the steering so well, because i was too busy driving sideways around a auto-cross course :lol:, although i think their are probably too many Miatas in the world already, i would happily recommend the 2nd gen, and even the first generation, even if i think the steering feedback is total crap

The motor sucks especially on these things because I read somewhere that the engine only runs 80% (GXP) GM messed with the ECU and the car's suck.

which generation did you drive, the first and third generation (current) are the ones i remember clearly, they handled well, but the steering itself was lifeless, it wasn't that dissimilar to the semi-okay steering in my ford tempo
I drove a first-gen. The handling was razor-sharp and the steering was telepathic.

Do note that it had aftermarket suspension, wheels and tires (not that it would really make a difference to the steering feel)

Just turn it to 11 and be done with it :p

Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder? 8)

gtrietsc said:
The new MX-5 is quite the porker. With those silly fender flares it looks like a midget on steroids.
I agree it looks goofy, but iirc it's 3-400lbs lighter than the Kappas.

ok? Did Clarkson tell you that?

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. What with GM's 100k mile warranty program, they probably want to understress the engines as much as possible. Of course, this means a simple ECU flash will result in 20% more power, if it's true.

Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder? 8)

I agree it looks goofy, but iirc it's 3-400lbs lighter than the Kappas.

Something like that. Most don't really consider the Solstice/Sky/GT to be direct competition...I think I read one line...I believe it was "Automobile" who said "take a Miata, put it on a copier, and press 'enlarge 15%'"

I would imagine the only REAL miata competition is the S2000...Dodge has their Demon concept, but that probably won't ever get built...who knows...

Something like that. Most don't really consider the Solstice/Sky/GT to be direct competition...I think I read one line...I believe it was "Automobile" who said "take a Miata, put it on a copier, and press 'enlarge 15%'"

I would imagine the only REAL miata competition is the S2000...Dodge has their Demon concept, but that probably won't ever get built...who knows...

Well the Solstice/Sky is GM's answer to it, but being built to appeal a bit to the bigger Americans (like those that have to modify the seat to fit in a 1st/2nd gen Miata) did cause it to be a bit heavier. IIRC new MX-5 = 2515lbs solstice/sky = a bit above 2800.

The S2000 was pretty much a class of it's own, it weighs the same as the solstice/sky but has significantly more power. I think the Turbo versions of the kappa's were meant to compete with the S2k.

I agree the S2000 is far better then anything near it.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. What with GM's 100k mile warranty program, they probably want to understress the engines as much as possible. Of course, this means a simple ECU flash will result in 20% more power, if it's true.

I'm not sure if they have been able to do that because the ECU had some way of blocking the flash but thats the reason why GM's warranty.