Xenon lights and foggies

by the way, does your car have cheeklights? (the one on both fenders)check the civ pic... dont forget to make them double contact ambers too! :lol:

SL65... 6000k is blue enough IMO, its bright enough and when I look at my car in the mirror while driving in carparks, from certain angles, the blue makes it look very nice, I'm thinking of getting yellow foggies on my car, will make it look very nice.

But I noticed your car has Refractor headlamps, just make sure you're not blinding anyone while driving, should be adjusted so it shines low and towards the left... else you might run into trouble with the cops.... I'll try to get some pictures of my car with the 6000k HID's up soon :D

^ hahaha im planning the same thing! 6k hid then yellow foggies :D

by the way, does your car have cheeklights? (the one on both fenders)check the civ pic... dont forget to make them double contact ambers too! :lol:
No idea - will have to find out. But its not priority as I got enough other car related costs currently...

But thank you! Because of you I'm definately getting 3000K HID's for the foggies. Wouldn't have known about them otherwise. They are hard to find here + not too cheap, but I've found some and will buy them when I have the time. Should look awesome!!

I STILL can't decide between 4300 and 6000's though :( Some websites describe 4300 as white, some yellow. I'll be happy with white...

//late reply i know....

4300K is really white. They only look a bit yellow when compared to 6000K but they aren't not the same temp as halogens. No blue at all except when warming up.

HID03.JPG

OEM HIDs are 4300K, so if you go and look at any car with OEM HID projectors, that's 4300K. it's nice, but adding a little color is always nice. I'd say to go for 5000K if you can find 'em (they'll be blue), but 6000K are not bad (they'll be a bit purple). 8000K will cut out too much light, and will be closer to halogens in terms of light output.

installation is quite easy, too. there are many DIYs online, and many of us on here can help you when the time comes.

L8

The only reason 4300K HIDs don't look blue in a non-HID housing is due to the lack of the proper projector optics. Cars fitted with factory HIDs have a slightly blue look (even my dad's 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII) but the color of the light output on the road is the same as aftermarket 4300K lights.

EDIT: I'm so nice I made a video for you :D You might need to skip around to notice the color difference.

[YOUTUBE]hhSTvkxEcsE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
here is a good site about lighting.
it looks like a US only site though, but he does custom orders. i nkow a couple of people that bought from him and they are happy with what they got.

4300K is really white.
Thanks, thats what I want to know. They are white, not yellow or blue. Thanks for the video also ;)

This is complicated but as much as I want the 6000's, I will buy the 4300's because I don't want the blue tinge they have. Why? Because firstly, aftermarket HID's of any sort in Australia are illegal unless they are approved by Australian standards. That means they must have a headlamp washer...which obviously I don't have, nor do I want to waste my money on.

So by getting 4300's, it isn't obvious that I have HIDs because they aren't blue (but yes they are blue). I fear if I drive around with 6000's, the cops will pull me over, defect my car and I will be pissed off.

So yeah, I will get the 4300's along with the 3000's for the foggies :D Will cost approximately $550 AUD installed though...

I don't know how it is over there, but over here other than the headlamp washer the lamps also need to have automatic height adjustment for the low beam. High beam you can do whatever you like.

I do have the washers but don't have any automatic height adjustment (I can adjust from the dash tho) but the worst thing that can happen is I get pulled over, get a fine, and need to show the car with regular halogen bulbs in the low beam. It's not like they're going to impound it or anything.

I usually put the lamps in the lowest position when i see a police car to make sure I don't attract their attention. Not that I think they really care anyway :)

Thanks, thats what I want to know. They are white, not yellow or blue. Thanks for the video also ;)

This is complicated but as much as I want the 6000's, I will buy the 4300's because I don't want the blue tinge they have. Why? Because firstly, aftermarket HID's of any sort in Australia are illegal unless they are approved by Australian standards. That means they must have a headlamp washer...which obviously I don't have, nor do I want to waste my money on.

So by getting 4300's, it isn't obvious that I have HIDs because they aren't blue (but yes they are blue). I fear if I drive around with 6000's, the cops will pull me over, defect my car and I will be pissed off.

So yeah, I will get the 4300's along with the 3000's for the foggies :D Will cost approximately $550 AUD installed though...

mate I got pulled over about 3 times by cops for random check and breath analyzer, they don't seem fussed about my HID's at all, they are mostly interested about my rims and tint... and I'm on 6k HID's.

Headlight washers - WTF? Is your government serious? Is this a state or federal issue?

Federal. It's an ADR (Australian Design Rule). And yes, they're serious. Apparently some propellerhead is worried that older drivers may be dazzled by the diffractions caused by dirt on the lenses of HIDs.

Federal. It's an ADR (Australian Design Rule). And yes, they're serious. Apparently some propellerhead is worried that older drivers may be dazzled by the diffractions caused by dirt on the lenses of HIDs.

yeah except usually it's just some ricer fag that has them aimed directly in everyones eyesight that is the problem

^yup... I've seen people with HID's that aim their lights so high for no apparent reason, I personally aimed them slightly lower than with Halogens so I don't dazzle oncoming traffic, but I can still light up the road quite well :D... but TBH, dazzling doesn't just come from HID/XENON, I've seen halogens (esp. Taxi's) that have their light focused at you in the opposite lane for some reason, maybe too much driving and the lights got vibrated out of position.

^yup... I've seen people with HID's that aim their lights so high for no apparent reason, I personally aimed them slightly lower than with Halogens so I don't dazzle oncoming traffic, but I can still light up the road quite well :D... but TBH, dazzling doesn't just come from HID/XENON, I've seen halogens (esp. Taxi's) that have their light focused at you in the opposite lane for some reason, maybe too much driving and the lights got vibrated out of position.

You're absolutely right that there's heaps of taxis out there with abysmally poorly aimed lights. My theory is that they've been in accidents and been repaired on the cheap, and the smash repairer hasn't adjusted the aim of the headlights correctly.

Most ricers just want people to look at their totally fully sik car and don't give a shit if they're possibly causing an accident

You guys need to be considerate when doing any HID add-on stuff. You certainly don't want to be blinding people because not only is it rude but it creates a safety hazard.

Realistically, with HID's you should have projector headlamps that can have a clean cut off.... I've added some 4300 K HID's to my Hyundai Tiburon (Coupe in the UK, and Tuscani in Aussie land I believe) but luckly my headlamps still have the stock cutoff and clean light pattern. If you have reflectors it probably won't be very good and may bother people.

Here's a pic of the cutoff on a wall from my headlamps:

output&cutoff_3.jpg

I recommend checking out the forums at www.hidplanet.com (http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/index.php) as they have some amazingly knowledgable people there and can guide you in the direction if you want to be serious about this.

Honestly I find myself more annoyed by trucks with headlights misaimed that are blinding oncoming traffic, but i've seen a few cars with modified HID that were really annoying.

Realistically, with HID's you should have projector headlamps that can have a clean cut off

Very true, but many older model cars with factory HIDs didn't use a projector-style headlamp. As I mentioned before, my dad's Lincoln Mark VIII doesn't use projector headlamps, and the cut off is so-so. The Toyota bB has a factory option for HIDs but the Scion xB does not. Both have a very similar headlight design (ours is actually better). Idealistically it is better to have proper projectors, so a retro-fit may be suitable (but technically still illegal).