My dog misses me, and i can't get over it

Ottobon

Car(s)
2 Rust buckets and a confused 1999 American.
About a year ago we picked up a stray that was about 10 years old, what we were looking for more then anything was personality, and we found a hell of a good one. The stray we found was a mangy little guy named max and i really haven't been around many dogs that are as friendly, he was also well sized for a suburban household and (30lbs or so) was hypoallergenic, but we simply couldn't figure out what breed he was, all we knew was that he was extremely pleased to be around people and had a more frantic tail then any dog i had ever seen, yet one of the calmer demeanors of any dog i've ever met as well. He was enthusiastic, but polite at the same time. Finally we figured out he was something called a "Dandie Dinmont Terrier" and if you look that up on google images i can gaurentee you that the dogs with evenly cut hair are 100x better looking then all the alien looking show-dogs that pop up on the web, when trimmed respectfully though they end up looking like a regular dog, stocky, 30lbs, and with Rod Stewart hair. Anyways to the point, he had some accidents and my dad lost trust in him, me and my dad our moving because of divorce settlement so he decided to lay down the law and state that the dog had to go soon after my sister and my mom left the house. So it was, we found a nice family but their daughter somehow got violently ill around Max dispite the fact he was hypoallergenic, so now hes back at the shelter that we originally got him from more then a year ago. I haven't thought about him too much while awake, but if im honest my dreams have been filled with him , mainly me going and picking him up from the people we gave him too (keep in mind its a two hour drive from where i live to where my former dog is now)

I feel its too late to have him try and live with me again, i don't think my dad would allow it, but whats really crushing is that i hear hes anxious, which doesn't at all sound like him, he was cool, collected, and had probably the most dynamic energy level ive ever seen in a dog, but now i'm worried hes about to give himself a heart attach, and all i can seemingly do is feel just as anxious

i loved that dog :cry:

picture from the very last day i had him

http://img170.imageshack.**/img170/2058/maxphotomx1.jpg

Last edited:
The first (and only) dog I ever had ended up at the local shelter, and I don't think it made it out alive :cry: The dog was stupid, but god damn was it loyal and fun. Every time I see a small black lab or German shepard it reminds me of that pup.

On a dog related note: my grand parents neighbors have to pit bulls, and both spend their lives chained to trees in the backyard. They never play with them, and the older one just barks at anyone that comes near for about a minute, then gets bored, and goes to lay down.

They have a pup now, and everytime I go over there I give it probably the only attention it receives besides the owners giving it food. It's heartbreaking to see such a happy dog so poorly treated. I guess things could be worse for it.

What are you waiting for. For god sake.
Look at his sweet, precious face!

My dog ran away a few weeks ago. I've had her sinse I was nine. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like little girl.

Thankfully she was picked up and taken to the animal shelter. We got her back the next day.

Edit: Picture:

I just took this picture this second. She's still asleep as I type this.
4y9ysrp.jpg

She pre-dates the Peugeot 406!

Last edited:
cute dog, really glad to hear you got her back, looks like a sweetheart^^

Dguy-i have to agree with you that it seems alot of dogs live rather exploitive lives because of shallow owners, we often wondered if my dog was let to roam after he developed cataracts as some people who show dogs are that harsh (and the breed he is happens to only really be popular with AKC types, sadly), at the same rate he had to have been loved, its easy to tell by the way he acts, so its hard to say. One thing i know for sure is that dispite his lack of good vision, when we first got him home he figured out how to escape in the first 3 minutes of being in our back-yard (through a hole in the fence we missed)

I'd go get him back. Few things are as sad as seeing a pet who once had an owner just waiting and praying they will come back. Tell your dad what's been going on, he should understand.

Here is a picture of my little girl.

Ariel.JPG

We got her from a shelter about a year ago when she was just 6 months old. She had been badly abused and had 3 or 4 different owners before we got her. She was going to be for my mom, but as soon as we got her home she just latched right onto me and never let go. She was scared of everything and everyone, and had a nasty habit of going in the house eventhough we were told she was house broken. It took a lot of work but now she's a totally different dog.

Sadly right before Christmas our other dog we had for 10 years had to be put down suddenly, :cry: if it wasn't for Ariel I don't know what we would have done. I went through a crying spell a few months ago, over the loss of Benji and my dad, and she did one of the sweetest things ever. She came up and ever so gently licked the tears off my cheek and put her head in my lap as if to say "It's ok, everything will be alright".

My dog ran away a few weeks ago. I've had her since I was nine. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like little girl.

Wussy! :p When I "lost" the aforementioned pup, (I was 14 I think) and called my brother to help me get her back, I was crying so hard I had to call him back later. I never would have thought I could have gotten so emotionally attached to an animal.

Ever since I've had that dog I've always been irritated at people who mistreat their animals because they are stupid (I.e. beating them, especially for no reason).

She came up and ever so gently licked the tears off my cheek and put her head in my lap as if to say "It's ok, everything will be alright".

Stories like this make me wonder why places like Denver can actually ban pit bulls, or any other type of dog.

I had to put my dog of 16 years down a few weeks ago. Man, it sucked :( ...I try not to think about it. I imagine knowing that your dog is still alive and anxious because he's not with his master is probably even worse.

Without knowing too much about your situation or your relationship with your dad, I personally think he's being a bit selfish. I mean, c'mon, it's a man's best friend! I just don't think it's right.

I agree with Punisher Bash's suggestions.

Losing animals can be a tough thing to go through. Just last month our first dog passed away. He had been ill for a couple years with diabetes, blindness, and an enlarged heart. I never really bonded all that much with him and I don't know why. But my older brother (who lives in Florida now) absolutely adored him. He flew back home for his birthday last month. The dog died less than a day before he got here. Couple that with one of our cats (the one that he liked the best) dying a few months ago and he was just devastated.

My favorite remaining cat got loose a couple years ago. We were all sure he was gone for good and it was killing me. But then about a month later we found him again. That was one of the happiest days of my life. I'm so thankful each and everyday that he came home safe. You just never know what's going to happen.

My oldest fish just died a few days ago. I had several others die (one even died literally as soon as he hit the water) but this one lived for over a year and just kept on truckin'. I would feel sad but, meh, it's just a fish. Less than 2 bucks to replace. :p

Punisher Bass, i totally agree with you! the stories and photos in this thread have nearly made me cry, they're all so beautiful. convince your dad to give max another chance!

here's my smiley corgi, missy. she's 12 and is our absolute best friend plus a surrogate mother to 5 cats (seriously, she licks and sleeps next to them!)

730197832_l.jpg

Punisher Bass, i totally agree with you! the stories and photos in this thread have nearly made me cry, they're all so beautiful. convince your dad to give max another chance!

here's my smiley corgi, missy. she's 12 and is our absolute best friend plus a surrogate mother to 5 cats (seriously, she licks and sleeps next to them!)

730197832_l.jpg

I think Airel had a cat as a surrogate mother, or at the very least lived with cats before she came to us. I swear she acts more like a cat than a dog at times. For example she loves to rub herself on your legs just like a cat, and her favorite thing in the world to do is chase, stalk, and then pounce on a laser pointer. She's part Great Dane and part St Bernard which makes her about as big as my Buick. It's really something to watch her go flying through the air and land with a huge CRASH.

Don't feel bad about nearly crying, while making my last post I had/have tears starting to form.

Some old photos of Spot (greyhound)..

100_1860_c.jpg

000_0015.jpg

I was in a similar situation a few years ago and I really regret not doing anything about it, my parents gave the dog away to someone who lived out in the country. Anyway I still regret not doing anything about it.

Just go down to the shelter and get him back yourself, really do it. Don't let your dad get rid of him. He's your dog, he wont be the same without you and he's already 10, he wont be around for long anymore.

Just go down to the shelter and get him back yourself, really do it. Don't let your dad get rid of him. He's your dog, he wont be the same without you and he's already 10, he wont be around for long anymore.

:+1:

+2

This thread just reminds me of how badly I've always wanted a dog. :cry:

This is my West Highland terrier, named elivis and well hes a bit of an elivis (pampered and picky)
I love Westies! :) I've never had one though. Are they considered to be a shedding dog? (ie: do they shed like a lab, or like a poodle?)

Ottobon said:
I feel its too late to have him try and live with me again, i don't think my dad would allow it, but whats really crushing is that i hear hes anxious, which doesn't at all sound like him, he was cool, collected, and had probably the most dynamic energy level ive ever seen in a dog, but now i'm worried hes about to give himself a heart attach, and all i can seemingly do is feel just as anxious

Sup man, maybe this will help you make your decision.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akf-H0OVpLA[/YOUTUBE]