Canada Introduces $10,000 Speeding Ticket

*shrug* You automatically get arrested and your car seized here in Oregon if you are going over 100 MPH (which is just 35 MPH over the speed limit compared to that ticket's 31 MPH).

Over here driving 50kph over the limit means you lose your license and everything over 40kph too fast goes to court to decide the height of the penalty. But for the rest, Dutch fines are fail, got one last Thursday, got caught doing 134 kph on a motorway (120 kph limit). 5 kph got deducted to allow for some error in the measured speed, and i was left with a fine for 9 kph too fast, which calculated to the hefty sum of only 31 Euros :mrgreen: (My wife wasn't very surprised by the way, she's been going on for the last months that 150 on the motorway is just too fast, and now she has her justification)

I usually drive around 20 km/h over the limit on the highway, every two years or so I get a 35 euro ticket... small price to pay:rolleyes:

as with viper, here in cali you get arrested and have your car impounded for 100MPH+

...Which I might have done today in a mustang.......hypothetically of course

My uncle took me out in his Jetta Wolfsberg a few years back and did 100 MPH for a few moments in 5PM rush hour traffic. Let's just say I nearly wet myself with the close calls he had...

*shrug* Our speeding fines go hand-in-hand with your income. Just last week a swedish idiot speeding on Finnish roads got a 20500? fine.

I think it is better to have everything considered at a percentage over a given limit rather than an arbitary figure of, let's say 50kph.

Going 50kph over the limit is far different if the limit is only 50kph to begin with rather than 110kph on highways. It's better to say maybe 50% over the limit or 30% over the limit instead. It's pretty much the same with the amount of the fine.... is it Iceland that takes the fine as a percentage of your annual salary, for example?

I like it as a percentage.

ours usually work with xMPH over, with bigger, separate fines at like 76 and 100. like 5mph over is one ticket 5-10mph over is another, etc.

i must say this is ridiculous, speed is so over-rated. here in israel everybody speeds at least 10-15 kph over the limit, and the vast majority of people that die in car accidents die because of going through red lights and drunk driving. and still speed is being so closely watched, maybe it's because speeding tickets form 93%(!) of the israeli police income...
health and safety people do literally live in a parallel universe :thumbsdown:

The safest speed to travel is the speed at which everyone else is traveling.

Suck it, speed limit.

I actually disagree, No Boss. In the traffic around here I find that it's better to be going a tad faster than traffic whenever possible (especially on my bike). Think of it as river rafting - if you are going the same speed as the river then the river is in control, as long as your relative speed is slightly faster then you are in control.

I firmly believe this, it has saved my ass more times than I can count. It doesn't mean you take stupid risks to keep moving, or that you have to get into a pissing contest with every speed demon than comes along - just that you keep moving whenever you can. On my bike I don't even stop at the back of the pack, I always lane-split when traffic is stopped because I don't want to be rear-ended.

I actually disagree, No Boss. In the traffic around here I find that it's better to be going a tad faster than traffic whenever possible (especially on my bike). Think of it as river rafting - if you are going the same speed as the river then the river is in control, as long as your relative speed is slightly faster then you are in control.

somehow I REALLY don?t get the logic behind that :blink:

but I disagree as well, if we all traveled at the same speed we would all be going 95 km/h like the trucks... and if I fall asleep I?m really no good at driving...

I firmly believe this, it has saved my ass more times than I can count. It doesn't mean you take stupid risks to keep moving, or that you have to get into a pissing contest with every speed demon than comes along - just that you keep moving whenever you can. On my bike I don't even stop at the back of the pack, I always lane-split when traffic is stopped because I don't want to be rear-ended.

:dunno: i too do not understand ur convoluted logic.

Hmmm, I see where you're getting at but there is fallacy in your theory. If everyone followed your advice, it would turn into a cat and mouse game real quick, seeing as everyone would be trying to go a tad bit faster than traffic, effectively increasing the overall speed en masse. Perhaps, only bikers would be advised to follow this through, dunno.

This isn't really nationwide, its actually just for the province of Ontario. The reason drivers here speed is because they're bored, the police speed faster than most of the motorists annoying us in the process. This is politics, the premier has an election coming up soon and this is his way of trying to prove he's making the roads here safer. Frankly I've had more near misses in much lower speed areas. A lot of the driving instructors here suck because they only do it for the money, if he really wants safer drivers start at the root of the problem.

Hmmm, I see where you're getting at but there is fallacy in your theory. If everyone followed your advice, it would turn into a cat and mouse game real quick, seeing as everyone would be trying to go a tad bit faster than traffic, effectively increasing the overall speed en masse. Perhaps, only bikers would be advised to follow this through, dunno.

Ok, maybe I can articulate my thoughts more clearly.

Many times when I'm driving in heavy traffic that is still moving well it becomes difficult to change lanes. You can't always count on someone to back off and let you in, and then frequently someone from the other side of that opening will move in the same time you do. One problem I see in traffic is that people are driving in their rear view mirrors, looking for "holes" they can move into as they pass. There's nothing wrong with this practice as a general rule, but every day I see someone trying to change lanes and they block up traffic. They know they have to be in a particular lane and a "hole" is behind them so they slow down to get into it. This hold up traffic behind them and can quickly cause a jam up.

Now, someone is driving along at 60 mph (many freeways here are 55 mph limits) in the center lane and traffic on either side is moving slightly faster. To change lanes the best approach (in my opinion) is to find a "hole" just ahead of you and accelerate up to it, signal and move in decisively. In this situation you have control, while in the other situation of slowing down to get to the opening you don't have control, you are trusting someone behind you to let you in, trusting that you will be able to move over as the traffic passes you, and trusting that you won't be rear-ended for suddenly slowing for no apparent reason.

What it really comes down to is attitude. The driver that moves slower than traffic tends to be less decisive in his movements. He wanders into his lane changes rather than exercising an economy of movement. I think many of you would agree that the most unpredictable and annoying driver on the road is the one who is indecisive.

On a bike I feel it's important to keep moving through traffic. Bikes are small and easily lost in blind spots, behind the A, B, and C pillars, in the sun's glare or shadows. By having a different relative speed than the cars around the bike is more easily seen. The human eye sees movement well, so relative movement is a good thing. I will frequently transition from riding in the center of the lane to either the right or left side of the lane just so anyone coming up behind sees the movement (if approaching a merge I will move to the side of the lane from which the merge is occurring so no one thinks my space is open for the taking).

I hope that clears it up. It's about being decisive rather than passive. One can be decisive and travel slower than traffic, but it's uncommon. Naturally not everyone can be traveling faster than everyone else. Fortunately most drivers don't read my posts :D

The safest speed to travel is the speed at which everyone else is traveling.

Suck it, speed limit.

Absolutely. The biggest issues i ever run into on the highway is never some guy blasting by everyone in the high speed lane it's always someone going 10mph slower than everyone else making them change lanes or slam on their brakes.

as for speeding fines in MA it's $10 for every MPH you are over the speed limit with 1-5 over being an automatic $50. i think once you get to 25mph over you are into criminal speeding which i believe is an arrest able offense

@ Blind_Io - I see what your saying and I agree, but where I live most of the highways are only two lanes, so if one person is driving really slow. Jams happen fast... it makes me mad, if only our highways were improved, I think that would help accident rates go down.

I also agree that the driving schools and driving tests need to be alot harder, stop exstending the time that someone in in the learner stage and start failing their asses sooner so they don't develope bad habbits.