Crime stats

I also don't think that everything Europe does is better just because it's European.

That's basically the statement I go by.

I would hardly say "most" posts, I'm not "out to get" Europe, but there seems to be a strong sentiment that whatever the US does is done better in Europe. I just don't think that's the case. I'm not trying to knock anyone, but there is always a reaction to every action. What I don't understand is why so many people react whenever anyone questions European policies but Americans are expected to just sit quietly to be ridiculed and insulted.

Here's the part I just don't get. There surely are be areas where the US is ahead of central Europe. Why do you focus on crime/violent crime when that's one of the areas where it's clearly not the case. It makes you look like you're going against reason here.

/me shrugs

Well, it started because I was getting tired of Americans being portrayed as a bunch of gun-toting rednecks. I started by trying to discuss the historical and cultural differences between the US and Europe and that just resulted in our culture being insulted. I tried to show some of the positive things that have come from our ownership of firearms, even citing studies of crimes and questioning the methods of both the ones I cite and the once cited in rebuttal. I also questioned such things as personal freedom, privacy, cost of policing and the simple fact that we have a hell of a lot more land to police than Europe. Most of the time I either get mocked for being a stupid American or simply dismissed and ignored when insults are not handy. I want to look at the big picture and the balance of crime vs. freedom, but all I get is references to the same study with an unpublished methods section. At least I am trying to bring something fresh to the table for everyone to chew on and open discussion. I just want to hear a European once say that there is something the US does better, rather than this constant Euro-phile mutual masturbatory circle-jerk of reasoning.

I have admitted that there are some good things that come out of European-style laws, but there are also down sides. All I want is some small token that there may be some good things to come out of the American system. For a bunch of people that seem to hate the US so much, Europe has done a pretty fine job replicating a governmental structure we adopted in 1776 - a large central government over many smaller, more local governments (hello? EU, anyone?).

I guess I should let it go because it will never happen. It's too popular to hate the US, even domestically, and there are too many rabid Europhiles.

Last edited:
I have admitted that there are some good things that come out of European-style laws, but there are also down sides. All I want is some small token that there may be some good things to come out of the American system. For a bunch of people that seem to hate the US so much, Europe has done a pretty fine job replicating a governmental structure we adopted in 1776 - a large central government over many smaller, more local governments (hello? EU, anyone?).

I guess I should let it go because it will never happen. It's too popular to hate the US, even domestically, and there are too many rabid Europhiles.

We have had a Parliament system with local elected representatives since the late 13th century so your system was hardly unique at the time.

To your other question, of course America has done many great things, sent a man to the moon, brought personal transport to the masses and also helped free the world from possible dictatorships.
To be honest I can't think of actual examples where your laws/government have any real advantages over various different European laws/governments. The European countries are so diverse that all the best laws and systems in America will probably be replicated in a European country.

I was not talking about the parliment, but the organization that the EU just adopted, a governing body over many smaller, more local government. Reminds me a bit of our federal government and our states.

Yeah right.....not.

First of all, any country in the EU can make its own decisions, i.e. not going to war because a monkey head orders it.

Secondly, this is almost the same everywhere, every province of China does it own stuff, with a governing system watching and telling them.

By your argumentation USA = China.

You commie.

actually he's right. the EU system is very similar to the early US, not the US right now, but early on. I wouldn't be surprised if the EU keeps getting more and more power and each country loses it bit by bit, that's what happened here.

You are of course correct, just our Politicians lie about it. We do not now, nor have we ever wanted to be 'part' of Europe.

I was asked to vote for a free trade area not a federation. We were going to catch an 'efficiency disease' from the Germans and sell lots of goods we no longer make all across Europe. I knew it was a lie then and it is a lie now.

Notice that all the countries keen on Europe do not have to pay for it (we do, plus the swedes I think), Germany who also pay in like it for some reason. Everyone else takes money out.

Unfortunately I think you're right. There's twisted data to support almost any conclusion.

zenkidori said:
actually he's right. the EU system is very similar to the early US, not the US right now, but early on. I wouldn't be surprised if the EU keeps getting more and more power and each country loses it bit by bit, that's what happened here.
The EU is already gaining more power isn't it?

Yeah right.....not.

First of all, any country in the EU can make its own decisions, i.e. not going to war because a monkey head orders it.

Secondly, this is almost the same everywhere, every province of China does it own stuff, with a governing system watching and telling them.

By your argumentation USA = China.

You commie.

The basic idea behind the original USA was to combine our "military might" or lack there of and allow free trade and travel amongst the states. Individually the 13 colonies had little chance to fight the Brits but collectively (and with the help of Le French) we had a fighting chance.

The problem we ran into is the states gave up to much power to the federal government. You ever notice how when someone asks a legal question here, the Americans usually respond with "it varies from state to state."