BAN CARS!!!

rskrobot

Car(s)
05 Scion TC
London must become car-free if it is to substantially cut carbon dioxide emissions, according to a new report.
Researchers claim the Greater London Authority's (GLA) target to reduce CO2 emissions by 60% by 2025 is unlikely to succeed without drastic measures.

The report says emissions could be cut by 72% by 2030 if cars were banned from the city.

The study was compiled the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Oxford University.

In response to the findings London Green Party member Jenny Jones said: "I have asked the London mayor to do a feasibility study into creating a car free pedestrian zone in central London linking all the main squares and parks.

"We need to show that the car no longer rules in London and that the future is based upon public transport, cycling and walking."

'Radical steps'

But Baroness Jo Valentine of London First, which represents businesses in the city, said the answer was realistic road charging schemes.

She said: "Rather than banning cars, we should charge a realistic amount for the use of this finite resource (inner London road space) with the proceeds invested in improvements to the capital's public transport and environment.

"This is precisely what future road pricing schemes for London could be made to achieve."

The findings of the report revealed that London is on course to reduce land transport emissions by only 10-23%.

It said "radical steps", such as banning cars in inner and outer London, were needed to substantially reduce CO2 levels.

The report was first published in The Lancet medical journal.

source

This is rich!

Enjoy.

Mass suicide of the greens would cut carbon dioxide emissions radically as well. With every breath they take they are contributing to the "problem".

"We need to show that the car no longer rules in London and that the future is based upon public transport, cycling and walking."

http://img408.imageshack.**/img408/8995/paranoiaew6lr6.jpg

motivator1263018.jpg

Gee, and this was from the center of sanctimony and pontification, Oxford Uni. How am I not surprised.

See, this is why I hate environmentalism, an offshoot of liberalism. And I know I will piss off a lot of people by saying this, but you will know I am honest with you:

Liberals hate human beings, especially humans who dare to put the individual first, and liberals are of the mindset that humans are too stupid to think alone, that everything must be either decided by a group, or by a higher power, like a government entity. Liberals reason with emotion, not logic, which is why they seem to live their lives in infantile terms, and expect, no demand, others to do so.

I really cannot wait for whacko eco-fascists to start committing suicide in the name of saving the planet. I know that is horrible thing to say, God please forgive my words, but the less of them means more freedom for the individual.

Gee, and this was from the center of sanctimony and pontification, Oxford Uni. How am I not surprised.

See, this is why I hate environmentalism, an offshoot of liberalism. And I know I will piss off a lot of people by saying this, but you will know I am honest with you:

Liberals hate human beings, especially humans who dare to put the individual first, and liberals are of the mindset that humans are too stupid to think alone, that everything must be either decided by a group, or by a higher power, like a government entity. Liberals reason with emotion, not logic, which is why they seem to live their lives in infantile terms, and expect, no demand, others to do so.

I really cannot wait for whacko eco-fascists to start committing suicide in the name of saving the planet. I know that is horrible thing to say, God please forgive my words, but the less of them means more freedom for the individual.

I am quite logical and don't bush my ideals unless it is necessary, thank you. The solution is quite simple; increase usage of electricity powered public transit and re-forest-ization. I think that its too late to do anything, but that is just an opinion. BTW, I think you mean suicide bombing.

Is Al Gore sill under the protection of the Secret Service?

To be honest, despite the intentions of this stupid suggestion (eco-mentalism), very inner-London may benefit from being a purely pedestrian zone. At least during certain times of the day. Have you seen the traffic? You don't drive in London, you start and stop, with a 7:3 ratio, until you get where you're going. London is also too "centred" if you know what I mean (it's what brought about this problem, the government has tried to provide incentives to people and businesses to move out before), a little slowing of it's commercial economy and redistribution of that prosperity a little further out geographically, an "averaging out", if you will, would probably benefit everyone in the long run.

Believe me I love cars and hate eco-mentalists are much as anyone (agree with eveyrthing jawhawk said on them). But there are reasons a car free centre would work with London if it was combined with the right public transport infrastructure.

omg. It was just a matter of time. Why always with the radical and the drastic? Its like Co2 is litterally floating around eating children. Stupid idea. STUPID IDEA. What London needs is rolling lights and for developers to pull the locus of activity away from the center. Also getting another whole lane by deleting bus lanes would help. Every one of those people sitting in traffic have determined that it is easier than the next best alternative (assuming they have an alternative from where they live) to get to work - this hangs them out to dry.

Last edited:
I've often thought it would be good for downtown areas to be free of large cars, trucks, SUVs and the like, if only to free up parking.

Or GeeWhizzes, i can see that cutting the CO2 thingies aswell as the residential population of London, that may cut the thingies :p

I think that instead of doing anything to actually solve the problem, they will just decide on a road tax and pat themselves on the back for cutting pollution AND generating some more tax revenue.

jayhawk said:
Liberals hate human beings...
Don't be stupid. You go and bash a whole political group because of a couple of idiots. You could just as easily say the same thing about conservatives, or any political group.

I suppose if you live in a really dense city I can see a point, however if your old, frail, sick....yeah you get the idea. I suppose how large an area are they going to make car free?

On that note, does this include emergency vehicles, commercial vehicles (I'd like to see the average plumber get his gear on your average mountain bike) and the like?

These idiots need to realise they need to work with the car, not against it.

Edit:

Also on that point, how feasible is it to do you weekly shopping and take it home on a bike? What two bags....max! Or taking it on the buss etc. My ingredients for my BBQ would be smashed! Uh....

Last edited:
BBBBBOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG!!!

Why don't they consider other methods rather than just banning cars? So for instance having gardens on the roofs, and planting more trees and what not? The evaporation from the water, and the CO2 absorbing that plants do would probably do a huge amount to cutting down global warming.

What about power plants or manufacturing, is any of that still happening in/around London? How about putting some emissions controls on them? I'm pretty sure there is plenty more they can do like this, but I don't know enough about the city.

rooftop gardens are a fucking awesome idea. I love those. it's adds value to real estate and allows you to use otherwise unused space. I've seen a few companies put little "parks" on top of their roofs or the top level of a parking garage, really cool stuff.

how cool would it be to be on top of a tall building looking down on hundreds of roofs with hundreds of gardens?

Rooftop gardens, more trees planted, make downtown a pedestrian area...

See, these are excellent ideas! Very logical, simple and inexpensive. Some of these ideas can be implemented voluntarily, or ideas that could be left up the people of London. Left to their own devices, I fully believe that the citizens could solve this (supposed) problem, without the intervention or rules imposed by the government.

The problem is, politicians do not think this way. Giving power to the people to solve the problems of society is franlky scary to them, as I stated before, they mearly view you, the individual, as an idiot incapable of independent thought or ideas.

I agree with it actually. I love cars as much as anything, but congestion in Central London is one of the worst I see. The roads are narrow, the shopping and business districts are very close together.

I've spent 1 hour driving across 1 mile of Central London (Picadilly Circus -> Strand and across Waterloo Bridge). All I see is top brass people in their Mercs/BMWs and shoppers/communters on buses. Londoner's need the buses to pop inbetween tube stations, without the buses some streets like Oxford Street would be overcrowded with people trying to shop AND travel.

^ South of the River
1. Tubes are scarce - look at the map.
2. Taxis do not venture - try it one night, ask to go to Catford from Kensington see how long it takes or far you get