Canadian dollar now worth more than an American dollar

If I were American I would be very concerned about the fall in the value of the dollar - someone has taken their eye off the ball in Washington IMHO - but hey most of my life the pound has just sunk lower and lower so who am I. ....

Last edited:
Hasn't the Canadian dollar been increasing in value recently?

It's good for Canada, but I wonder if their prices will come down as a result. Probably not.

^ It's a mix of both... the USD has been going down and the CAD has been gaining in value.

It's not really a good thing... on the one hand things keep getting more expensive here because the CAD gains in value but our consumer prices aren't changed to reflect this. So a car that was $50,000 when the CAD was worth 60 cents US is still the same price even though the currencies are now equal. That's basically like a 40 percent premium on everything you buy in Canada over the US.

And on the other hand... so many people have their savings in USD and now they're at a big, big loss. Unless the US gets its act together and does something about the economy.

The dollar being worth less means American products will cost less, which means foreign countries will buy more American products, which means more workers will be needed to make more of those products, meaning more people will be employed etc. All of this is the result of the actions the Fed takes, have interest rates gone down in recent years?

The dollar being worth less means American products will cost less, which means foreign countries will buy more American products, which means more workers will be needed to make more of those products, meaning more people will be employed etc.

Until, these countries that are buying American products have people that realise their ability and ease of making "knock-off" products for less. Then less countries buy our products for favor of buying their domestic versions. And the cycle continues...

Its not just American products, there is a $30,000 on Porsche 911s, which means its Canadians that really get screwed by this.

Until, these countries that are buying American products have people that realise their ability and ease of making "knock-off" products for less. Then less countries buy our products for favor of buying their domestic versions. And the cycle continues...

Knock off is cheap and customers buy knock off once or twice at best. In the bottom line, I rather pay more and get the REAL thing.

However, I do not agree that I, as a Canadian citizen, should pay 6 dollars more for a 16 oz bag of coffee grain. Look at car mags, Cars themselves,(I work for Volvo and this whole high dollar does temps some customers to buy cars in FL cash and comeback here), gas, leisure equip and I skip ALOT.

Long term problems. Exports:Toys, Wood (paper), Filming industry. Bonus: More buying power, cost almost alot less to go to the US, I don't know why someone would do that :lol: but for a few days, I guess it's good.

Will the dollar stay this high? Absolutely not. It is/should go back down to 87.00cents within the next few months based on exports, job status and the world economy.

Untill then, save your Loonies, Twonies for those other Canadians and if US$, keep some in case.

That's true... there is a $12,000 difference between my car in Canada and the US... :?

Its not just American products, there is a $30,000 on Porsche 911s, which means its Canadians that really get screwed by this.

That's true... there is a $12,000 difference between my car in Canada and the US... :?

In the case of Porsche, I once heard of someone who, went to the US to buy his new 911 and save 18 000$ CDN after the duty and what not. Came time to service his almost new Porsche... dealer refused to service the car. Now is this a miss understanding, illegal or simply bended truth... I dont know, but I DO know that Lexus will do the warranty work on your car. However, the customer must pay first, then lexus writes the cust. a check for the parts that were covered under warranty. Then again, what warranty is played in effect? US or Canadian? If so, is the full amount re-imbursed.? I doubt it.

My 2 cents.

I, for one, welcome our new Canuck overlords.

EDIT: Eh.

I, for one, welcome our new Canuck overlords.

EDIT: Eh.

First thing to do is to change the name of their various coinage.

Didn't they just reduce them last week?

I honestly don't know, I was under the impression that value of currency took time to react to interest rate changes.

Seeing as our economy is pretty much based on exports ... what was it, more than 40% of the GDP came from net trade?

The increase in the canadian dollar means that the goods we export just became more expensive, thus our buyers will go and buy from someone else. Yeah, sure, it serves on individuals who are importing and especially for whoever's travelling internationally right now. But for the whole economy, it's a BIG concern.

We're basicaly getting F.U.B.A.R. right now and the worst thing is most Canadians don't even realize it. They're glad that "the Loonie is strong for a change" .... idiots.

Seeing as our economy is pretty much based on exports ... what was it, more than 40% of the GDP came from net trade?

The increase in the canadian dollar means that the goods we export just became more expensive, thus our buyers will go and buy from someone else. Yeah, sure, it serves on individuals who are importing and especially for whoever's travelling internationally right now. But for the whole economy, it's a BIG concern.

We're basicaly getting F.U.B.A.R. right now and the worst thing is most Canadians don't even realize it. They're glad that "the Loonie is strong for a change" .... idiots.

yeah that's a problem that the Australian dollar has as well, if it's worth too much exports suffer etc.

We're importing too much and not exporting enough, hence the crappy dollar. :(