If you were invited to a 'fancy dress party', would you...

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
...think it was a formal/black tie kind of event

2%20button%20notch%20tuxedo.jpg

or more of a halloween/costume party?

20040731_superheroes_group_light.jpg

i noticed when the top gear guys refer to fancy dress parties, they're implying more of th e costumed variety while i tend to think of parties where you 'dress up' in a suit or tux.

Last edited:
Depends on the time of year, the person and the location. Best to ask the host.

Anyone else here turned up to a posh dinner as Batman?

What else is fancy dress meant to imply? Black tie is black tie, fancy dress is anything but black tie.

Simple.

[YOUTUBE]1YGkkphD-OM[/YOUTUBE]

"You told me this was a costume party!"

Last edited:
There's obviously a clear disagreement as to the meaning of 'fancy dress'

"Fancy dress" to me means just below a tux -- like a polo and khakis or something.

You wear a Batman costume to a "costume party".

I don't think a polo would be considered fancy dress, that's more business casual. Bah, what the heck do I know. Wear pants and a dress shirt....and suspenders. Always suspenders. And if it's cool, a nice jacket as well.

Fancy dress is an excuse to wear your underpants on the outside!!

Clearly this is another case of Anglo-American disagreement. In the UK (so I assume Australia as well) fancy dress is stupid clothes like batman type thing, pimps and hos type party. Then you have black-tie which is obviously full suit and then smart casual which is what Viper is trying to describe. We don't call them costume parties in this country.

"Fancy dress" to me means just below a tux -- like a polo and khakis or something.

I don't think a polo would be considered fancy dress, that's more business casual. .

Firecat is right. Polo, button down, and even in some cases Oxfords without ties, and khaki's are ALWAYS business casual in America. Business is typically button down shirt, tie, dress trousers, but matching jacket is optional. Black tie usually refers to tuxedos, white tie refers to tuxedo tails, gloves, and white tie (obviously).

Of course, there are all exceptions to this rule. (You could wear a polo with dress trousers and a matching jacket, and that could be considered "Business".)

/I read GQ.
//Am straight.

Hi,
I think the REAL gist of this thread is "Would you dress up as a member of the opposite sex if going to a fancy dress party?" I'm mainly addressing the male members here :D

I'll put my hand up & that say that I did. It was hilarious!

I looked 'great' & would totally have asked myself out on a date :lol:

EDIT: But there were a few problems though....

I don't think a polo would be considered fancy dress, that's more business casual. Bah, what the heck do I know. Wear pants and a dress shirt....and suspenders. Always suspenders. And if it's cool, a nice jacket as well.
He's from the NW. A polo is dressed up :)