Environmentalists... lovely people (Hybrids and the blind)

rjvracing

Don't think this is a repost.....hopefully.

Gas friendly electric hybrid cars are under fire from at least one group of people. The National Federation of the Blind believes the cars to be too silent, and a possible threat to the safety of the visually impaired.

"I'm used to being able to get sound cues from my environment and negotiate accordingly," said Deborah Kent Stein, the NFB's chair of their Committee on Automotive and Pedestrian Safety. In an interview with the Associated Press she says that, much to her surprise, she simply has no clue when a hybrid car, running at slow speeds, is approaching.

"We did a test, and I discovered, to my great dismay, that I couldn't hear it."

Hybrids are nearly silent when running on electric power, something the NFB says is incredibly hazardous. But with gas prices steadily rising, hybrid cars are becoming more popular. Year-to-year hybrid sales are up nearly 50% from 2006.

The committee conducted several unscientific tests, with visually impaired people instructed to signal when they were passed by a hybrid while standing in parking lots. The results were revealing.

"People were making comments like, 'When are they going to start the test?' And it would turn out that the vehicle had already done two or three laps around the parking lot," according to Stein.

A leading advocacy group for nearly 1.3 million blind people in the United States, the NFB is also quick to point out the virtues of hybrid cars as well. The suggestion is that they simply make a little bit of noise.

In response to a threat from an environmentalist who suggested that NFB President Marc Maurer die in a flood caused by global warming, Maurer said, "I don't want to pick that way of going, but I don't want to get run over by a quiet car, either."

The Association of International Auto Manufacturers Inc., an industry trade group, is examining the issue. They, along with the Society of Automotive Engineers, are looking into setting a standard minimum noise level for the vehicles.

Toyota is also looking at the issue, according to Bill Kwong of Toyota Motor Sales USA. However, as Kwong pointed out to the AP, "One of the many benefits of the Prius, besides excellent fuel economy and low emissions, is quiet performance."

Obviously, Toyota does not want to get hit with a lawsuit should a legally blind person get struck by one of their vehicles.

"We are studying the issue and trying to find that delicate balance," Kwong said.

Quiet hybrids are not just threatening to the visually impaired. 57-year-old Linda Murphy has 20/20 vision with glasses on, but that has not stopped her from nearly being struck twice by gas-electric hybrids.

"I'm walking right in back of it and it's moving and I didn't realize it until it nearly touched me,'' she told one reporter. "I never realized how dependent I was on my ears until I almost got hit."

Original article - http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071003.005/blind-people-upset-with-hybrids

I think this is a repost... but interesting nonetheless.

/Clarkson and May kinda called this didn't they?

/Clarkson and May kinda called this didn't they?
"But, you'll have to re-learn how to cross the road. Look left, look right, look left again, cross the road, wonder why you're going through the windscreen because you never heard it coming"

:lol:

(or something to that effect)

[pedantism]

"But, you would have to re-learn the green cross code, 'Cause it would be look left, look right, look left, listen, walk, wonder, as you go through the windscreen, why the hell you never heard it coming.

Taken verbatim from Mr. Clarkson...[/pedantism]

A hundred years ago there were complaints that pedestrians would get hit by the new "silent" cars because they weren't accompanied by the sound of hooves; some inventors created mods that simulated the clop-clop and tried to market them, without much success. Somehow, people managed to deal with it. Though this does give the image of a hybrid with a (battery-sucking) siren playing the sound of a small-block at WOT.

If you're blind, a lot of things in life become more dangerous. Get over it or get on with it, either way any lawsuit over this would be ludicrous. "Yes I stepped into the road in front of the car because I can't see a thing, but it's their fault!".

This is just one drop in the ocean of reasons hybrids suck.

Why not pump the sound of a Big block V8 out the back... That would make hybrids more safe for blind people. and alot cooler! :lol:

I almost got hit by Prius once... I was crossing the street at a dangerous corner (it's dangerous even tho it's a properly designated crossing) and I looked to my right to check for cars but it's hard to see them at this particular corner so you need to listen carefully as well. I heard this thing long before I saw it... because the tool driving it had his stereo up so damn loud I could clearly make out the title and artist from a good ten metres away even tho he had all his windows up!

And he was fish-bowling it too, for no apparent reason.

I really wanted to yell "you're sucking power from the batteries!" at him (I usually yell something at Prius drivers) but I knew he wouldn't hear me.

At least I didn't get run over.

I really wanted to yell "you're sucking power from the batteries! at him (I usually yell something at Prius drivers)

Yeah I usually shout something along those lines but it doesn't end in power from the batteries

yay!, a classmate of mine doing internship out of town got almost run over by a prius. It wasnt the silence or anything but the driver just jumped a prioritised intersection. He managed to jump away but his bicycle was run over. The guy in the prius, quite possibly a rich man offered my friend 800 euros in cash on the spot not to make a fuss about it. Seeing his bike cost like 250 euros, he pocketed it :p

I wish I was the one run over :(

If you're blind, a lot of things in life become more dangerous. Get over it or get on with it, either way any lawsuit over this would be ludicrous. "Yes I stepped into the road in front of the car because I can't see a thing, but it's their fault!".

you know that blind people can actually ski really well right? Their very capable for what they have, so obviously hybrids are too quiet. Don't know why you dislike blind people/like hybrids so much.

A hundred years ago there were complaints that pedestrians would get hit by the new "silent" cars because they weren't accompanied by the sound of hooves; some inventors created mods that simulated the clop-clop and tried to market them, without much success. Somehow, people managed to deal with it. Though this does give the image of a hybrid with a (battery-sucking) siren playing the sound of a small-block at WOT.
I would love to see your source for this. I've seen old prototype cars running and the fuckers are loud.

I would love to see your source for this. I've seen old prototype cars running and the fuckers are loud.

actually he might unknowingly be referring to battery powered cars (used to be common in early 20th century) if thats the case then he just pretty much shot himself in the foot

actually he might unknowingly be referring to battery powered cars ...
Gotta be. Those old steam and gas powered cars where plenty loud. All I can say about this topic is that it must suck to be blind :rolleyes:. Remember kids; loud pipes save lives!