[12x06] October 8th, 2007

I wasn't that bad, of course FG won't match TG. The Mini Clubman review was ok, I kinda like the Clubman, but why can't the make suicide doors for both sides, this 3 door thing is stupid, Saturn already proved it many years ago. The monster Smaart is stupid, that thing will tip over if it does some serious off-roading. THe best part is the Z vs Z, but I would still pick the 350Z. The 350Z's understeer can be easily corrected with a set of springs and sways. While it cost like $1k for an intake on the Z4.

Well, this was definitely the worst episode of the season.

I didn't even bother to watch the end of the BMW/Nissan shootout.

Vicki and Traffic Woman got skipped over immediately.

Tom's bit was incredibly boring, I suppose it would be tough to make a Smart monster truck interesting. (and what was the deal with his 'lowrider?')

Johnny's Mini review was the only part I enjoyed, I like the Clubman.

Overall: Yawn. Such a down note on an otherwise good series.

Wow, we might as well rename this website to topgear.com eh? ;)

Seems the only thing more depressing than the abysmal view/post count on the 5th Gear shows are that the opinions are almost always "cruddy."

In contrats to every new Top Gear episode, which is heralded as "the best ever!!!!!zomgxorz!!!111," every new 5th Gear has someone screaming "omg the worst of the season!!!!!!!" But what can we expect? Most of the Top Gear viewership aren't car enthusiasts anyways.

In my opinion, this episode of 5th Gear has far more content than the first episode of Top gear. For one thing, MOST of the show is devoted to cars instead of intervewing an old lady and finding the "best" roads in Europe. They down-the street garage setting is used for getting up and close with not only your everday cars but also more potent machines.

The Chauffer training were a bit boring, of course it would've been more interesting to learn some more about what goes on to qualify you to drive a Bentley with a bilionaire/millionaire in the back-seat. What's really exciting was the segment about the Hot Rod enthusiasts inside Britain. I had no idea that Entgland had such a large following of a piece of American heritage. That stereotype is propagated partly thanks to the mindless hyperboles that spews from Clarkson's mouth (that, unfortunately, many take as gospel.)

Smart off-roader: holy crap. One of the most insane automotive creations ever. Albeit it is understandle why the owner would only limit it to the first gear. The "entree" of Z4 vs 350Z is the usual "boring" chit chat between Tiff and Jason. Albeit a little more subjective/informative talk about the cars would've helped. It seemed like they were just racing each other rather than the cars.

Although 5th Gear does lack some entertainment components of Top Gear, it is, at the end of the day, a true car show for car enthusiasts by car enthusiasts.

That was boooooring... zzz

Well, that was about 27% as entertaining as the first episode of the new TG series.

This show needs a pump up. Maybe vicki should dress sexier, maybe better music but something is missing. I like the content, but when i start watching I tend to sleep before halfZzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Watching this episode of fifth gear after Top Gear on Sunday is such a letdown.....what a load of craps

Very boring and uninteresting episode. Even the Z vs. Z bit wasn't entertaining, as the outcome is the same in any other carmag.

i made the mistake of watching Fifth Gear after Top Gear... let's face it, it was no different to every other week of Fifth Gear - the occasional interesting segment from Johnny or Tom lost amist daft celeb challenges, Vicki being her usual wheezy, obnoxious self and oversold races with pretty boring cars (I'm so sick of seeing the 350Z) and Tiff and Plato assaulting each other in working class slang in lieu of real co-host chemistry. Normally during non-Top Gear periods this sort of thing is tolerated but now that the boys are back you have to ask yourself is it worth the effort...

Last edited:
Wow, we might as well rename this website to topgear.com eh? ;)

Seems the only thing more depressing than the abysmal view/post count on the 5th Gear shows are that the opinions are almost always "cruddy."

In contrats to every new Top Gear episode, which is heralded as "the best ever!!!!!zomgxorz!!!111," every new 5th Gear has someone screaming "omg the worst of the season!!!!!!!" But what can we expect? Most of the Top Gear viewership aren't car enthusiasts anyways.

In my opinion, this episode of 5th Gear has far more content than the first episode of Top gear. For one thing, MOST of the show is devoted to cars instead of intervewing an old lady and finding the "best" roads in Europe. They down-the street garage setting is used for getting up and close with not only your everday cars but also more potent machines.

Full agree, I bthink Top Gear and Fifth Gear can't even be compared, it's aimed at a totally different audience and this season is definately one of the best for me because they don't try to make stupid stuff and stick to the things they can do best and that is driving :)

Especially liked Tom and Tiff's part comparing the Zs, because the are professional racing drivers and know exactly what they are doing, those shoot-outs are just great, enjoyed every minute of it.

Hope FifthGear stays that way.

This wasn't a good episode. Tended to be a bit boring and the 350z - Z4 shootout didn't tell us pretty anything about the cars. TG reviewed the BMW and deemed it nearly as rubbish, but FG just didn't comment it, which I don't understand why. :( The celebrity section was lame and so was the Smart-MonsterTruck...

Full agree, I bthink Top Gear and Fifth Gear can't even be compared, it's aimed at a totally different audience and this season is definitely one of the best for me because they don't try to make stupid stuff and stick to the things they can do best and that is driving :)

Another poster in agreement here. I loved the latest episode of Top Gear, but 5th Gear has always been the favoured TV program.

We will always be in a minority as Top Gear appeals to everyone (enthusiasts who like cars & those who enjoy being entertained & don't care about cars) whereas 5th Gear is seen as a poor copy without the cocking about. This notion hasn't been helped with quite a few segments on 5th Gear being lifted from Top Gear.

I enjoyed the shootout segment (of which there should be more of), the cooper review was good & the rest was passable. Not their best efforts but this series has been of a high standard.

Even I would have to say that that was a very forgettable episode. The only part that interested me was the Mini Clubman review. I think the Z vs. Z competition should be more than a drag race, power sliding competition, and race. It's all too lame. I'm not just saying this because it's Fifth Gear, but most of the episode really did suck monkey balls. For me, the season before Love Cock arrived was still the best. And what's the deal with the "test a car without driving it" segment? It tells me nothing about the cars and just wastes time. And stop with that celebrity crap. All it shows is how much "better" the presenters are than the guests. Plato, if your listening to me now, forget about burning the Top Gear barn and start burning them scripts!!

This wasn't their best episode, but overall I like this seris of fifth gear. The celebrety part is never interesting, but I do like the 'It is new, but is it any good' part. OK, they don't drive the cars, but neither does Top Gear in the news section and this ?s more informative...

Plato, if your listening to me now, forget about burning the Top Gear barn and start burning them scripts!!

In fact he has started burning himself . . . :lol:

Pretty mediocre episode. I liked Vicki's segment because of, uh, Vicki. The Smart monster truck was forgettable, along with the Mini but Jonny did a good job considering there isn't much to say about it. Tiff and Jason's driving was the highlight, but I agree with the person who said he's sick of the 350z. I'm sick of the Z4 as well frankly. Didn't they do a shootout between a Boxster and Z4 a few seasons ago? And VBH just reviewed the new 350. Time for some new cars.

Also, ever notice how Fifth Gear habitually sets out to break some record or accomplish some new feat and ALWAYS fall short?

- They bought a Lotus Esprit and tried to break 200 mph with it. Failed.
- Vicki tried to verify Aston's claims that the Vanquish S could reach 200 mph. Didn't even get close.
- Jason tried to do 200 mph on the Autobahn in some Brabus thing. Didn't happen.
- Vicki again tried to do 200 mph, but in an A1 GP car. Same result as before.
- And now this week, they hoped to film a new 0 - 60 mph time record with an Aerial Atom. Failed once more.

Those are just off the top of my head. What's with the obsession with 200 mph? This isn't the 80s anymore. And with season 10 of Top Gear starting, I hope every remaining ep of FG isn't going to be compared to TG. Seriously. It's really getting old people. Go fawn over Jeremy's analogies and Richard's emo hair in the TG section.

- They bought a Lotus Esprit and tried to break 200 mph with it. Failed.
- Vicki tried to verify Aston's claims that the Vanquish S could reach 200 mph. Didn't even get close.
- Jason tried to do 200 mph on the Autobahn in some Brabus thing. Didn't happen.
- Vicki again tried to do 200 mph, but in an A1 GP car. Same result as before.
- And now this week, they hoped to film a new 0 - 60 mph time record with an Aerial Atom. Failed once more.

And don't forget last week where they failed to film the dragster record run with Johnny in the car.