Cable company cuts heavy internet users

Australia has it really bad, we've got pretty fast internet, but you can only download a certain amount of data a month, if you reach the limit, your internet is slowed down, usually to 64 Kbps.

Its a really lame stingy attitude, you see it in a lot of Australian businesses, when you buy a meat pie, you have to pay $0.5 for a packet of tomato sauce. FUCK THEM.

I'll agree that they're not being completely honest about it, since their advertising would make you believe you can download eternal happiness and rainbows at lightning speeds, but they do mention "fair use" deep inside that massive EULA they make you agree to.

"Fair Use" is a pretty ambiguous term that I'm sure the liberal, anti-business federal judges here in the States would love to tackle. Unless they specifically state in the EULA what they mean by "fair use", then they could be perpetrating fraud.

"Fair Use" is a pretty ambiguous term that I'm sure the liberal, anti-business federal judges here in the States would love to tackle. Unless they specifically state in the EULA what they mean by "fair use", then they could be perpetrating fraud.

Here's their Acceptable Use Policy (sorry, I got the name wrong). It's seven pages long, go nuts. It doesn't give a hard number for download or upload limits (aside from newsgroups, which is 2GB per month), but it does say this:

Comcast said:
You shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in the sole judgment of Comcast) an overly large burden on the network. In addition, you shall ensure that your use of the Service does not restrict, inhibit, interfere with, disrupt, degrade, or impede Comcast's ability to deliver and provide the Service and monitor the Service, backbone, network nodes, and/or other network services.

The most important consequence of the above is that your actual limit isn't a fixed number but rather a function of how many people are on the same node as you and how much they use their service. Great if you live in a sparsely populated area or if all your neighbors are retired and only use the web for email, but not so great if everyone around you is a heavy internet user as well.

I still think this is a better way than having fixed download limits, however. If they were forced to give you a number, you can bet it would be quite a bit less than whatever soft limit they have in place now.

Not sure if I mentioned this. But someone in my household received a call from Comcast, claiming that my usage was like several hundred gigs and if I don't cut down, they'll cut me off. I doubt my usage is that high...but whatevs.

For the most part, Comcast hasn't been saying how much is too much. Now they are looking at setting a 250 gig cap along with overage charges if you go beyond that.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Considering-250GB-Cap-Overage-Fees-94185

Recently they were facing some heat from the FCC due to them using some questionable methods to curb P2P traffic.

Its a really lame stingy attitude, you see it in a lot of Australian businesses, when you buy a meat pie, you have to pay $0.5 for a packet of tomato sauce. FUCK THEM.

Thats it man, fight the power!

welcome to australian internet guys....

shitty bandwidth caps hurah

Yep... biggest pain in the ass.

If you want real unlimited interwebs here, be prepared to chop off a limb or two..

What's really funny is that Comcast are problably using Telstra as an example of how it's implemented. :p