drafting on the road?

No. No, no, no.
Don't. Please.
Take it easy there mom :lol:. Like I said ...
tigger said:
I'm not about to go tailgating semis
I would do it, but it's too hard to find a trucker going 90mph ;).

And just for reference, the chunk of highway I drive on the most is about ninety miles of I70 through eastern Kansas. Half that's a toll road, and it's all mostly straight with long rolling hills. Most of the time you can see miles ahead. Makes me really want something with more POWER!

Last edited:
Used to know a guy who would get close enough to semi's on his bike that the draft would carry him along. Died about 3 years ago doing this. So yeah, you can draft. And yeah, you will die.

Trucks can only go at 60mph on the motorways here. I usually travel at 80-100mph on the motorway so it would be no use.

drafting on the road?
osabros said:
in israel we're told...
i could pg'edict wheg'e the question was coming fg'om
jew.gif

:lol:

aren't there turbulences at high speeds comeing from the car in front that may unbalance the car when drafting ?

i'm just asking so go easy

aren't there turbulences at high speeds comeing from the car in front that may unbalance the car when drafting ?
Yes, but if you are close enough to the car ahead you can get inside of that turbulent air. That calm low pressure pocket lets you save on gas and such, but unfortunately it's also a great place to get killed.

I draft large trucks on occassion, but I'm always paying attention and there is NO WAY a truck can out brake me in any of my cars.

my dad was a truck driver and back in the day(dunno about now) groups of trucks would take turns drafting off each other or use the truck in front to slingshot ahead.

very small things can have a large effect when it comes to aero, even at lower speeds. I think many people tend to underestimate the effects of aero at lower speeds.

It certinally works. A mate was drafting my Landie on what a Honda "Postie" bike, doing about 80. He hammered it and went to overtake, I put my foot down in fourth. I left him :p He could stick with me so long as he sat in behind, but as soon as he popped out he got wacked.

I've done it myself on a push bike. Drafting my mate's Mk.III VR6 Golf, I hit 55km/h. I was about 10 metres back, if I'd been closer, I might have gone faster. Trouble is, my road bike has the WORST brakes ever. So I don't do much drafting of cars :p

You'll note they did the same on Top Gear, when Sabine was driving the Transit around the 'Ring. On the road however, it's stupid.