Gran Turismo 5

Wow! Thanks, I hope I can save up $200 before GT5 Prologue comes out (Most likely not), but I swear to myself now, that once GT5 (final) comes out, I'm gonna get me a G25!

I've always been a huge fan of Gran Turismo, and this one is EXCELLENT !

The physics are quite different from GT4/GT:HD, but once you get used to it, it's very controllable and realistic.
I can't wait to try the IS-F :)

The only drawback I find is the lack of 2 player mode, but as it is a demo... :-D

Holy ... :w00t:
Top Gear to provide content for download via GT TV?

Tokyo, October 24 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) and Polyphony Digital, Inc., the creators of the best-selling racing franchise, Gran Turismo?, today announced a collaboration with BBC Worldwide that will allow BBC?s Top Gear programme to be downloaded through Gran Turismo TV (GT TV?) on PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?).

GT TV, a dedicated online channel packed with the latest news and content from the motoring world, will launch worldwide on PLAYSTATION?Network in 2008. BBC Worldwide will provide 40 episodes of Top Gear, the award-winning BBC television series about motoring for download.

In addition, the Top Gear Test Track ? the track featured each week on the show, where host Jeremy Clarkson and the Top Gear team test the latest cars ? will be replicated in Gran Turismo 5 (GT5) on PS3. For the first time in a racing game, players will be able to burn rubber and experience every white knuckle, hairpin turn on the Top Gear Test Track for themselves.

?We at Polyphony are great fans of the world?s best motoring programme, Top Gear, so we?re delighted to be collaborating with BBC Worldwide to deliver Top Gear content via Gran Turismo,? said Kazunori Yamauchi, President, Polyphony Digital, ?We?re sure that players will be as thrilled as we are when they get the chance to put their own driving skills to the test on the Top Gear Test Track in GT5, as well as enjoying classic episodes of Top Gear via GT TV.?

Simon Danker, Director, Digital Media, BBC Worldwide commented, ?BBC Top Gear is the world?s number one motoring media brand and we?re thrilled to make it accessible to Gran Turismo gamers. We continue to explore different avenues to share our content with an expanding audience, and are delighted to participate with Polyphony Digital in the launch of this exciting new opportunity.?
Source: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99359

Last edited:
I heard there are different versions of GT-R that u can choose in GT5 Prologue
(Just unlocked after tokyo autoshow)

anyone mind post a picture of it? OO

and it's great news to hear GT5 will have TopGear track!! can't wait till GT5 is out :cheers:

After hearing that all cars in GT5P are unlocked, I instantly jumped in front of the TV after class and boy I can't believe how much fun I'm having with this demo.

First car I took for a spin was the Lexus IS-F (even before the GT-R :mrgreen: ), that car can do some HUGE power slides :lol:. Now that the other cars are unlocked, it is clear that with the game set to MT + Logitech G25 wheel:

If the car is available in manual transmission,
1. you can only shift with H-pattern gearbox
2. pedal shifters behind the wheel are non-functional

If the car is auto (such as the Lexus IS-F)
1. H pattern shifter is non-functional
2. you can turn the dial on the shifter, set it to sequential and it will work like it should.
3. or shift with pedal shifters behind the whee

I really like this system as it forces players to drive the cars like the way they should be driven.

After a few sideway laps in the IS-F, I was even more impressed by the driving physics (simulation mode), keeping the car in a long drift requires full concentration, a spin in a tight corner can be carefully extended into a small-radius doughnut (or powerside if you will), turn your car in the right direction and keep going. Watching the replays is just as enjoyable as driving the cars, the way each car body move during accelerating, corning, braking, and even the small twitch from recovering a drift just looks so life-like, even with the current low level of AA and some shadow problems, it just looks like a.... real race!:blink:

After hearing that all cars in GT5P are unlocked, I instantly jumped in front of the TV after class and boy I can't believe how much fun I'm having with this demo.

First car I took for a spin was the Lexus IS-F (even before the GT-R :mrgreen: ), that car can do some HUGE power slides :lol:. Now that the other cars are unlocked, it is clear that with the game set to MT + Logitech G25 wheel:

If the car is available in manual transmission,
1. you can only shift with H-pattern gearbox
2. pedal shifters behind the wheel are non-functional

If the car is auto (such as the Lexus IS-F)
1. H pattern shifter is non-functional
2. you can turn the dial on the shifter, set it to sequential and it will work like it should.
3. or shift with pedal shifters behind the whee

I really like this system as it forces players to drive the cars like the way they should be driven.

After a few sideway laps in the IS-F, I was even more impressed by the driving physics (simulation mode), keeping the car in a long drift requires full concentration, a spin in a tight corner can be carefully extended into a small-radius doughnut (or powerside if you will), turn your car in the right direction and keep going. Watching the replays is just as enjoyable as driving the cars, the way each car body move during accelerating, corning, braking, and even the small twitch from recovering a drift just looks so life-like, even with the current low level of AA and some shadow problems, it just looks like a.... real race!:blink:

Can you tell me how to change the settings on the dammed settings screen...I cannot understand what it is saying.

GT5Pmenu.jpg

Question to UK PS3 owners who are playing GT5 P demo, since the US and japan both use NTSC format video, JP import games display fine on US tv sets, but i understand even UK video game systems display their games in PAL video output requiring different spec playstions, xbox, etc. Presumably the JP GT5 demo also outputs in NTSC format video, so how do you get the game to display properly on your UK PAL HDtv sets, or can you even get the game to work properly at all without modifying your tv or video game systems?

As I understand it, there's no PAL and NTSC anymore with HDTV. The GT5P demo puts out 60 1920x1080 full pictures a second worldwide. If you've got a screen that understands that, it doesn't matter where you are.

so then, UK video game systems can now output us or jp region HD games on UK HDTVs but if they try to play older gen non HD games on their backwards compatible systems, thats a no go, correct? so SD games and video from NTSC countries (such as JP and US online store downloadables) and outputted in SD resolution wont display properly on a UK HDTV while a foriegn HD game or video will play back no problem.

Did you know PS3s are not region locked or encoded?

i assume youre being truthful and not sarcastic, and if youre being serious, no i didnt know that about the PS3s. so i tak it that users can import and play games from any region without the need to modify their hardware any more. does this mean a US PS3 can now bckwards compatible play a JP or UK PS2 game without ay egion lockout headaches as well?