Food! [The thread that started this section]

He better have served that with mint jelly......

He better have served that with mint jelly......

i think i am the only person on planet earth that thinks mint jelly wrecks lamb.

^ Not at all. I was just gonna say I hate mint jelly. I love lamb though... did anyone have the marrow Adunaphel?

Is Mint Jelly the same as Mint Sauce?

I don't know what mint sauce is but mint jelly is actually gelatinous so it sounds different than mint sauce.

Mint Sauce is vinegar with a bit of oil and some mint leaves that have been chopped up.

Then no it's not... like I says it's flat out jelly.

k, wasnt sure if it was Americanised like how you call Jam, Jelly etc

k, wasnt sure if it was Americanised like how you call Jam, Jelly etc

In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).
In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup or a jam.
the_more_you_know2.jpg

from howstuffworks:)

Last edited:
In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).
In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup or a jam.

from howstuffworks:)

You should have added the "The more you know" banner to that haha.

hmmm i need some help.

i have a crazy urge for risotto today but i don't want the risotto to be the main entre i need some form of meat that will go well with risotto. i was thinking roast beef (maybe prime rib) but anything else could help... oh keep in mind that i need to have time to cook it for dinner tonight at 7-8 (maybe a bit later) which gives me 6.5-7.5 hours... maybe some sort of pot roast? argh i am having a complete brain fart

EDIT: spoke with wooflepoof via AIM he suggested Lamb so i am going to push the dinner off till tomorrow and do a pasta and vodka cream sauce for tonight. incidently i decided to go with THIS recipe

but still feel free to make sugestions for future reference

Last edited:
Oh god, that looks amazing. And theres no added oil or anything. I'm pretty sure I'll make that during the weekend.

I accidentally went to the first page of this thread... I had totally forgotten this was just the regular food thread where you can post whatever you're eating. You guys had me thinking this was a fine dining thread or something with all these dishes you concoct.

That's awesome though, I hope to learn some good recipes off here once I move out on me own in the new year. 8)

Had a nice simple pasta yesterday:

200g of mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 small leek, thickly sliced.
2 small or 1 large red onion, chopped into large chunks.
2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
(these 4 things i get together in one bag called "mushroom stir-fry vegetables" at my local supermarket)
150g Gruyere cheese, grated.
250ml double cream.

Heat some oil in a frying pan, fry the onions and leeks for a few minutes on medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and fry for another few minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Add the double cream and stir to a boil. Add the gruyere cheese and stir until melted.

Great with penne pasta.

Had a nice simple pasta yesterday:

200g of mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 small leek, thickly sliced.
2 small or 1 large red onion, chopped into large chunks.
2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
(these 4 things i get together in one bag called "mushroom stir-fry vegetables" at my local supermarket)
150g Gruyere cheese, grated.
250ml double cream.

Heat some oil in a frying pan, fry the onions and leeks for a few minutes on medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and fry for another few minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Add the double cream and stir to a boil. Add the gruyere cheese and stir until melted.

Great with penne pasta.

Wow that sounds good. Almost like simple alfredo with veggies if you subbed Parmesan for Gruyere and added some butter to the cream.

I made a farfalle with sausage ham peas and carrots "alfredo" on monday.

this was done totally at random so the amounts are all guesses

equipment:
large ass skillet (i used a cast iron frying pan)
sauce pan (heavy bottom perferably but thin is ok)
small skillet (if you don't have a heavy bottom sauce pan)
anything you need to make pasta

2lb farfalle (bowties)

2lb italian sausage (i used garlic and hot) [casings removed]
1 ham steak about 5in across and .33-.5inch thick [Diced]
1 bag maybe 1lb of carrots cut into [.5in slices]
1 bag of frozen peas (make sure they are the small sweet peas)[defrosted*]
1tb olive oil [maybe]
.5-.74c water

2c heavy cream/whipping cream
1ish sticks butter
3-4 large cloves of garlic [minced]
2 shallots [minced]
.5lb parmesan cheese in a chunk [grated]
salt and pepper

If you have have a Heavy bottom sauce pan melt the butter in it and fry garlic and shallot. once translucent add cream and heat to not quite boiling (DO NOT BOIL) now go past the italics

if no heavy bottom sauce pan
in sauce pan heat cream (DO NOT BOIL) and melt half of butter. keep at medish heat
in small skillet melt rest butter
fry garlic and shallot until soft and translucent (feel free to add any spices you want at this point)
add garlic shallot and butter to cream

slowly wisk/stir cheese into cream/butter/garlic/shallot mixture making sure it all melts and sauce stays smooth once all cheese (or as much as you want) is melted into the sauce season with salt and pepper to taste turn heat to low so you keep sauce warm and then being work on the meat and veggies

in large skillet
fry sausage in large skillet till cooked through (make sure you break it up into chunks that will be easy to eat with pasta) at med-med/high heat
remove sausage from pan into bowl leaving fat in pan (if not alot of fat add oil)
add ham to pan fry until begining to brown and crisp up remove to bowl with sausage
slowly add peas and carrots to pan toss in oil let cook for a few min
slowly add water to pan and cover (i used a large sheet of tin-foil) cook for 2-4 min then remove color and let water cook away on med-med/low heat making sure you scrape the bottom of the skillet to disloge any of the tasty brown bits.
once the water has basically all cooked away re-add the sausage and ham and toss to reheat the meat once warmed through pour cheese sauce over meat/veggie again toss and leave at med-med/low to warm sauce through.

cook pasta

put pasta in bowl put sause on top

serve:

Last edited:
Grilled swiss cheese and dill pickle sandwiches! It doesn't sound good but it sure does taste good.

Shred Swiss cheese and Dill Pickles, mix with a little mayonnaise. Spread between rye bread, butter and grill. I think I'll have to make one right now.

Grilled swiss cheese and dill pickle sandwiches! It doesn't sound good but it sure does taste good.

Shred Swiss cheese and Dill Pickles, mix with a little mayonnaise. Spread between rye bread, butter and grill. I think I'll have to make one right now.

that actually sounds pretty fantastic.

^ Ah man, that does look good. Thin-crust pizza FTW!!!