2008 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

I was bored, so I made a little list of the major changes for next season:

-TC is banned.
-Grooved tires are no longer required.
-Standardized ECU.
-Engines must last two races. (15kg weight penalty each time it's changed.)
-Gearboxes must last four races. (15kg weight penalty each time it's changed.)
-Spare cars are no longer allowed.
-Testing restricted to 30,000km per team.

That will be the killer. Pretty much every car these days retires with gearbox/hydraulics failure. Red Bull and BMW especially. 4 races is a long long time.

Do the cars get a 10 place grid penalty as well??

That will be the killer. Pretty much every car these days retires with gearbox/hydraulics failure. Red Bull and BMW especially. 4 races is a long long time.
Apparently, the new regulations ensure that next season's gearboxes will be much stronger. Minimum thicknesses, new dimensions, etc.
Do the cars get a 10 place grid penalty as well??
Nope, just the weight penalty. :)

Bernie Ecclestone said:
"Raikkonen is champion, I just hope he starts talking more."

:lol:

Sorry to break up the party: engine change = 10-place grid penalty, full gearbox change = 5-place penalty (although the FIA seals can be broken once every race to change the gear ratios). FIA Sporting Regulations for 2008, pages 13 and 14.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/8034458C78A30E53C12573290033B26F/$FILE/01F1_sporting_regulations.pdf?Openelement

When did they change it?
They didn't change it, the regulations were confirmed and adopted waaaaaaaaaay back in March. Ther must have been a misunderstanding or someone has got this from a website that isn't trustworthy. And the tires will still be grooved.

www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/f1regs.html The regulations and the date at which they were approved are here.

So they can't change gear ratios more than once during a race weekend? So if they run in Friday practice and think, they need adjusting for a slow corner or fast straight, tough shit?

And why drop the spare cars and testing mileage? That's just going to lead to more retirements or cars not even being able to start the race.

I'm not a fan of the FIA's methods of interfering. Why make the sport cheaper? As long as 10-12 teams can afford it, that's all that matters surely.

The changing-gear-ratios thing is strange - what if they've made their changes (and thus broken the seal the allowed one time) and rock up on race day and the wind is in a completely different direction... maybe we'll see cars bouncing off the rev limiter for 1/3 of a straight... that'll do wonders for the motors.

Honda finally win...something

Honda gets environmental recognition
30 October 2007

Honda has won two prestigious awards at the 2007 Green Awards. The team's environmental myearthdream initiative won its nominated category of Best PR Campaign with a budget of over ?100k, against very strong competition from Marks & Spencer and Procter & Gamble.

The Honda campaign then went on to compete for the Grand Prix award for the best overall campaign, along with the 18 other winners on the nightand won.

Nick Fry, CEO of the Honda F1 team commented; "It is a fantastic achievement for Honda to receive such recognition at the 2007 Green Awards. We are delighted to be in the company of so many outstanding organisations dedicated to protecting the environment through the highest calibre marketing campaigns. The aim of our myearthdream initiative was to use the global reach of Formula One to raise awareness and create debate of environmental issues around the world and we have been very successful in accomplishing that goal in our first year."

Whether the team's green livery will continue in 2008 remains to be confirmed.

Source

Not exactly what they wanted to win but hey...old people will like it...

WE WON, WE WON!! :woot:

Take that Marks and Sparks :p

Of course they won the "green award", the other teams actually completed a few races!!

I really hate Honda's racing livery.

There is no more retarded contradiction than a "Save The Earth" livery on a car that needs 60L of fuel to do 100 km.

^ We were slow, so it was 60L to 140kms :p And we didnt finish that many races with 2 cars, so we saved fuel!!

Australian Grand Prix to Surfers Paradise?
02 November 2007

The Australian Grand Prix could possibly move to the legendary Surfers Paradise street circuit in Queensland, according to reports in the Australian media. The rumour comes after mounting costs to host the race in Melbourne have led to the Victoria government coming in for criticism.

"I believe that the Labour government is preparing to end Melbourne's involvement with the Grand Prix when the contract finishes in 2010," said former Victorian premier Jeff Kennet, who was instrumental in bringing the race to Melbourne from Adelaide.

Queensland Events Corporation chairman Des Power reportedly told Australian media that F1 bosses had approached the Queensland government 'some time ago' to host the F1 race in Surfers Paradise.

"It was a clandestine approach, but the price tag was enormous," he said. "If we were approached again by F1 any proposition would have to be given appropriate consideration."

Source

It would be good on the Gold Coast, but I think it is unlikely to happen.

^ Very unlikely - if Melbourne loses the race, it will be lost to another country, not another city.