Yet ANOTHER WTF is wrong with the UK thread.

Jay

the fool on the hill
Read and decide for yourself.

Santa is being told to shift the pounds before Christmas - because the obese saint is failing to set a "good example" for children.
The traditional children's hero, best known for feasting on mince pies left out on Christmas eve, has always sported a bulging midriff.
But shopping centre bosses are giving the well-wisher his marching orders - to the nearest gym - to tackle the increasing problem of obesity.
The revelation comes after a medical report earlier this month stated that by 2050 more than 50 per cent of Brits will be obese.
Bluewater shopping centre in Greenhithe, Kent, has even gone one step further and set-up a Santa boot camp.
Fiona Campbell-Reilly, spokeswoman at the shopping centre, said: "Santa has been around for years, but society has changed and our Santa needs to reflect this.
"Bluewater's Santa Boot Camp is getting Santa in shape and setting a good example to children who idolise him.
"He will still be the same lovable jolly man, but will be fitter and healthier."
Despite Santa burning 600 calories an hour from delivering presents, the problem lies in the tasty mince pies left as a treat.
If he ate every single mince pie left for him by eager children in the UK he would gain an astonishing 721,000 lbs.
Dr Charmaine Griffiths, spokesperson from the British Heart Foundation, said: "The bootcamp would encourage people to get a bit more active - it is a great idea.
"If you are budding santa or a hopeful elf, then we should all be taking steps to being fit and healthier at Christmas.
"Half an hour of exercise, three days a week could make your heart healthier. I think that like most of us, santa could be doing more to make himself that little bit fitter.
"He can have a pie every so often but try to squeeze in a few carrots as well."
Source.

As much as I find the article slightly amusing and slightly worrying, what is with the huge number of 'The UK has gone to hell in a handbasket!'-type stories?

I mean, daft things happening isn't exactly a Britain-specific occurrence. And it's not even that we have crappier news outlets than anywhere else (hello Fox news!).

I'm not saying we should have a huge influx of other-country 'look what is wrong with us!' articles. I am just commenting on the large number of UK-based ones. And when the story is more 'look how stupid the people in question are', it's not really politics. The lottery one especially.

handsfailedslippingonfloor.png

As much as I find the article slightly amusing and slightly worrying, what is with the huge number of 'The UK has gone to hell in a handbasket!'-type stories?

I mean, daft things happening isn't exactly a Britain-specific occurrence. And it's not even that we have crappier news outlets than anywhere else (hello Fox news!).

I'm not saying we should have a huge influx of other-country 'look what is wrong with us!' articles. I am just commenting on the large number of UK-based ones. And when the story is more 'look how stupid the people in question are', it's not really politics. The lottery one especially.
Just a friendly jab at all the "the USA sucks because..." threads, I would think.

I hope so.

Nobody pays attention to these things, right?

...right?

:unsure:

...:cry:

We in Britain do 3 things well:
* Queueing
* Tea
* Moaning

That's moaning that Santa's to fat, the government are shit, David Linley A unnamed member of the royal family is sucking cock and taking coke, we just don't mind moaning about it.

There is this obsession with Political Correctness in the UK and stuff like making Santa thinner won't help kids, its just silly. Not only that it sits in the news for about 30mintues and no one will care.

Sorry to tell you guys, but Santa isn't real. Sorry.
What? NOOOOOOOOOO!!! :cry:

Anyway, this is just silly. Possibly sillier than the "No wet t-shirt contest" thing.

HE IS WELL FAT THO

Anyway, keep posting these if it makes you feel less insecure about your own country, we don't mind...

Well, is it not illegal to discriminate against someone just because they are a bit of a porker? What are all the professional fat people going to do for jobs now that the Santa option is closing to them?

So if that many citizens of the UK are obese, how long before Jezza has to stop making fun of fat Americans?

so wait a minute, instead of having kids sit on his lap and ask for presents, they're having santa do a richard simmons impression?

If I lived at the North Pole I'd want to be a big fat fatty too. I see large people walking around in the middle of winter with just a t-shirt while I have every inch of skin covered by multiple layers and I'm still freezing my ass off. Santa is actually teaching the kids good cold weather survival tips. :p

By 2050 all of the UK will be obese. How can you predict things so far ahead in the future, its ridiculous... It reminds me of some stupid show on the Discovery Channel, where they said what kind of animals would be roaming the planet in 10,000 years. You just knew it was an excuse for the geeks at Disco to come up with Firebreathing Bananas and rats that could eat 1000 times their body weight.

lol. so true. that "mega disasters" show is hilarious to me. "if these 10,000 things all go wrong in specific succession, some bad shit could happen!" lol.

Here's another brilliant one from Australia

Santa Claus banned from Ho Ho Ho

By Renato Castello, Sue Hewitt and Andrea Burns

SANTAS working in shopping centres across Australia have been banned from bellowing "ho ho ho" because it might frighten children.

Recruitment firm Westaff, which supplies hundreds of Santas around the country, yesterday confirmed the edict.

Westaff national operations manager Glen Jansz said the company's Santas had been urged to tone down their use of the "ho, ho, ho" phrase.

"The reason behind that is we find that in some cases the little kids can get a little bit scared of the deep 'ho, ho, hos' and we ask them to be mindful of keeping their voices to a lower level," he said.

"And kids are probably more inclined to understand 'ha, ha, ha', than 'ho, ho, ho'."

Thirty trainees at a recent Santa course were instructed to replace the traditional Christmas greeting with "ha, ha, ha".

A Santa veteran of 11 years told the Sunday Herald Sun the instructions were clear: "No 'ho ho ho'."

"We were told to say 'ha ha ha Merry Christmas'," he said.

Two Santa hopefuls reportedly left the course after the edict.

Family Council of Victoria spokesman Bill Muehlenberg described the ban as "nonsensical".

"Potentially any big guy in a red suit with a white beard is scary but I don't think him saying 'ho ho ho' would damage a child's psyche.

"Let's just concentrate on the kids having a good time."

A survey of Melbourne children yesterday found universal support for Santa's "ho ho ho".

"It's silly, we love hearing Santa's laugh," said Briony, 8, of Mitcham.

"It doesn't frighten me at all. It's what Santa is supposed to say," said Byron, 9, of Melton.

Yesterday in the Bourke St Mall, Santas appeared to be ignoring orders to stop the 'ho ho hos'.

David Jones's bellowed to a delighted group of children and rival Myer's Santa also kept up the jolly tradition.