Beer

I just found out I actually LIKE beer....the problem is I can't stand the most common kind produced and sold here. It's too bitter for my taste. I tried Hoegaarden and found it very good. Any suggestions?

You could try any of the German Weizen or Wei?bieren, i prefer most of them over Hoegaarden. If you don't like bitter stuff, see if you can find Duvel, it's a pale yellow ale with 8.5% alcohol, not very bitter and a unique taste. For the rest, most non-pilsners are less bitter than pilsner, especially mass-produced pilsners.

More squire amber ale went down the hatch today :D

I just found out I actually LIKE beer....the problem is I can't stand the most common kind produced and sold here. It's too bitter for my taste. I tried Hoegaarden and found it very good. Any suggestions?

You could try any of the German Weizen or Wei?bieren, i prefer most of them over Hoegaarden. If you don't like bitter stuff, see if you can find Duvel, it's a pale yellow ale with 8.5% alcohol, not very bitter and a unique taste. For the rest, most non-pilsners are less bitter than pilsner, especially mass-produced pilsners.

What he said^. Wheat beers (Weizen/Wei?bieren/WeisBier) are some of my absolute favourites. I recommend one of my favorites when it comes to that sect:

FranzisKaner Hefe-Weissen:

Franziskaner_Hefe-Weisse_L.jpg

Wheat beers are renowned for having complicated tastes, bouquets, and appearances. This one is no exception. It's not my ultimate favourite, but it is one of the best. My favourite is the Dunkel from Franziskaner, it's a bit more complex in flavour but it is something out of this world when your try it:

http://img215.imageshack.**/img215/9182/franziskanerdunkeliq2.jpg

The Franziskaners are one of the few beers that actually have a head that tastes as good as the beer, if not better.

Thanks guys! Yesterday I tried a local Weizen/Wei?bieren/WeisBier, but it tasted like fish...not good...tomorrow I will look for some Duvels. :)

Australian: Tooheys Extra Dry, Boags St George and Coopers Pale Ale (the Pale is one of the best in the world, IMO)
Else: Asahi Super Dry, Leffe (Blonde or Brun) or Becks.

I've been drinking this lately:

3061.jpg

very good stuff.

My buddy tells me there is a brewery/bar that produces 11%alc beer, we hope to give that a try very soon.

oh yeah, my roommate got a 30 pack of Miller High Life we recently killed, solely because it came in hunter orange cans. :cheers:

i think you should be able to find leffe, you should try that
and duvel

or any other belgian beer you might come across :p (if it's exported to brasil, i think it's safe to say it'll be a good beer)

This is my favourite beer
alfabier.jpg

I went to my local Mix-A-Six and got these:

Had...

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout:
http://img207.imageshack.**/img207/4566/samuelsmithoatmealstoutre9.jpg

Color as dark as Guinness (obviously, being that their both stouts). Incredibly smooth and mild, with a fantastically good after taste.

Wychwood Hobgoblin - Dark English Ale:
http://img339.imageshack.**/img339/276/hobgoblineq7.jpg

Very good. Deep scent of roasted malt and caramel. Bitter after taste, but not overwhelming.

Sierra Nevada - Anniversary Ale
:
http://img151.imageshack.**/img151/4228/annivbottom769298fg5.jpg

Mild taste with very little bitterness. Lesser traces of roasted malt and caramel. Every so often I'd get a whiff of mild fruit - like banana. Most prevalent taste was of cloves.

Probably one of the most beautiful colors I've seen in an Ale.

Blue Moon - Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale
:
b0081504_11511859.jpg

Great brew. I've found myself forming a penchant for autumn ales. It wasn't as full pumpkin flavour as I would have liked, but it was very good regardless. Slight clove taste and decent appearance.

Currently Imbibing:

The renowned, Skull Splitter:
skullsplitter_med.jpg

8.5% al/vol - So I was expecting an oily taste with a awful, bitter, and lingering aftertaste. Surprisingly however, it stays very mildly on your tongue and goes down very smoothly. Minimal carbonation when it's on your palate which makes it much more pleasing to drink. Great color too... I have a feeling this will get you tipsy very quickly.

Still have 2 more to go, one from my latest trip (Doppel Bock - which I've never had before) and one I got as a gift that I'm not looking forward to having. Urboch 23, 9.6% al/vol - really rough and got me ill last time I had it (it was a gift).

Last edited:
platnium ain't that bad watto

also, if it has no taste how can it be disgusting :p

I will admit, platinum is OK. Just.

Your second point, a mere technicality.

I just think my taste buds are spoilt by Cooper's, Little Creatures, Malt Shovel Brewery and so on.

My favourites - from the dark beers Guiness of course. As for lager - a Bulgarian beer called Zagorka
zagorka.gif

I will admit, platinum is OK. Just.

Your second point, a mere technicality.

I just think my taste buds are spoilt by Cooper's, Little Creatures, Malt Shovel Brewery and so on.

I do agree with you there, I can't even drink shitty beer anymore (Vic for instance, might as well be eating the contents of an ash tray)

Read that article yesterday and I have to agree trappist beer is really nice!:thumbsup:

[edit:] I didn't picture you as a Wall Street journal reader. I guess you learn everyday. ;)

Last edited:
Blue Moon - Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale:

Great brew. I've found myself forming a penchant for autumn ales. It wasn't as full pumpkin flavour as I would have liked, but it was very good regardless. Slight clove taste and decent appearance.

I found that to be pretty good as well. It's not as pumpkinny as, say, any local breweries Oktoberfest, but it's pretty drinkable imo

I found that to be pretty good as well. It's not as pumpkinny as, say, any local breweries Oktoberfest, but it's pretty drinkable imo

That's how I felt about it too. I wished it was a bit more red also, but those two things were really its only faults.

beer-spec-doubledog2.jpg

I had this last night. 10.5% alcoho, not all that great of a flavour though. Everything was to overpowering.

aaah huge pic